Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Informing the inland revenue

Informing the inland revenue

Old Jun 1st 2006, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

ScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud of
Default Informing the inland revenue

I'm doing my tax return and it's occurred to me that I need to inform the Inland Revenue of my departure so I can claim back overpaid tax for this year. Does anyone know if you need to have your P45 to do this and when you get the tax returned?
Old Jun 1st 2006, 8:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Informing the inland revenue

Originally Posted by ScottDavis
I'm doing my tax return and it's occurred to me that I need to inform the Inland Revenue of my departure so I can claim back overpaid tax for this year. Does anyone know if you need to have your P45 to do this and when you get the tax returned?
Yes, you need your P45 to get a refund. They say they will try to get it to you in 28 days, but some people have waited longer than that.

The link is here
Old Jun 1st 2006, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Paul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to all

You need to complete a P85 for:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/nonresidents/fagp85.shtml

I believe that you do need to provide a P45 but it will confirm this in the notes section. From the postings I have read the refund time can vary considerably!

Cheers

Paul

Old Jun 1st 2006, 8:21 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you do need it. The rebate is credited direct into your account usually within 28 days.
Old Jun 1st 2006, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

ScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud of

Thankyou all.

Old Jun 1st 2006, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

SBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud of

Hello Scot!...my missus is handing ours in today,all she was told to do (by our accountant) was to write a letter explaining our departure date and quote N.I number the letter was about 3 para's long! I take it they'll send a cheque for the difference when they're happy?
We're up in Burton and both sets of parents live in Lichfield!...Boley Park and up by my old school Friary Grange!
Old Jun 1st 2006, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SBUK
Hello Scot!...my missus is handing ours in today,all she was told to do (by our accountant) was to write a letter explaining our departure date and quote N.I number the letter was about 3 para's long! I take it they'll send a cheque for the difference when they're happy?
We're up in Burton and both sets of parents live in Lichfield!...Boley Park and up by my old school Friary Grange!
Just had my cheque through You can actually nominate someone to receive the check for you in the UK if you wish. It's all detailed on the form.
Old Jun 1st 2006, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul and Chloe
You need to complete a P85 for:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/nonresidents/fagp85.shtml

I believe that you do need to provide a P45 but it will confirm this in the notes section. From the postings I have read the refund time can vary considerably!

Cheers

Paul
Know what you mean by refund time, I sent my P85 back in January and have heard nothing apart them sending me a tax return about to send that to them any day now. If i get anything back i will consider it a bonus.

John