Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is this information wrong ??

Is this information wrong ??

Old Oct 21st 2004, 6:17 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Default Is this information wrong ??

I got the following info from the url below and would like to get some feedback as to how acurate (or not) this is ?????

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~metz/nz.htm

Advice 02
Here is some further strong advice on coming over to try and get work prior to emigration to NZ.
MY ADVICE : DON'T DO IT!
August 1997
First the good news: From the NZ government immigration pages, I quote: "
If you are already in New Zealand as a visitor you may apply for a Work Permit for a total stay of nine months from the date of your arrival as a visitor.
Now if you have read all the advice given on the page: http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~metz/bruce/nz/advice01.htm (SEE RELEVANT EXTRACTS FROM THE ADVICE01 WEB PAGE)

From this you will see that I strongly recommend that you don't waste your time coming over for a month to try and get a job first.

However, without a visa, and being in engineering, this may be a better option for you. ** But one month is still short to get a job here ** They don't like employing you on the basis that you are planning to come over. Rather say that you can start work straight away, and that your family is following. But they WON'T employ you if you are comingover "later" or even "soon".

Employers also like "NZ experience", which doesn't help. And they ask if you have a visa to work. I can always say yes, so I don't know what happens in your case where you will have one IF they give you the job.

This seems very negative, but it is the truth.

So, to summarise - I would say you'll have more success if you come over with the intention to stay and get a job - and THEN apply for the visa from here.

As far as applying for jobs, I would say the best bet is to get the Monday NZ Herald sent to you airmail. It takes about 1 week, so you will only get apout 2 or 3 before you come over - but that will be a good start. You can fax them here and pay by credit card - they are most efficient.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 11:52 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this information wrong ??

Originally Posted by Campbells
I got the following info from the url below and would like to get some feedback as to how acurate (or not) this is ?????
The information is quite dated, but NZ is a lot tougher now than it was in 1997.

And in general, NZ employers are reluctant to go through the hassle of sponsoring when they can hire the next person in line.

Best way is to get your migration/permanent visa sorted out before you arrive.

Jeremy