British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Information on Redcliffe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/information-redcliffe-551086/)

littlehobo75 Jul 24th 2008 10:29 pm

Information on Redcliffe

Hi, we're moving back to Brisbane in Jan 09 (we're out there for a year in 2006, living in Annerley).

We are thinking of moving to Redcliffe and maybe working in Redcliffe Hospital. Does anyone have any experience of living and working there?

Ta

Bruce

kiwinow Jul 24th 2008 10:58 pm

Re: Information on Redcliffe

I haven't lived there but visited recently. There are lots of Brits out there so someone will be along shortly no doubt.

We found it to be like a small town of its own. It has a nice, fairly safe beach and a fishing pier. It seemed a little backward in some ways, e.g. no internet cafe that we could find, and no internet connection at the camping ground so I don't know if internet is a problem there. However, it has all the usual supermarkets, nice beach front cafes and interesting art studios etc. We spoke to a South African guy who'd been living there for a few years and thought it was much safer than home. Having said that his son had been stabbed in a random attack in the main street and was in hospital, but it doesn't sound like this sort of trouble is the norm.

House prices are not bad for a 3 bedroom home, but getting up there for a 4 bedroom. There are some lovely restored Queenslanders if that's what you like, and mostly older housing rather than new estates. Scarborough has some lovely new estates if you can afford it and marinas etc. I could live there. It might be a bit quiet but it only took us about 15 minutes to get there from town, although you could double that in rush hour.

jad n rich Jul 24th 2008 11:08 pm

Have a search on woody point, thats a beachfront village about 2klm south of redcliffe and we bought there as it has the most incredible amount of development going on there, have posted about it beforfe. Yet house prices are very cheap compared to what you would pay on gold or sunshine coasts and yet of course you are close to brisbane for work.

Had a house there for about a year now, have not seen any trouble and were about 100metres from the huge bellevedere pub, fab pub too. Top area everything you need from beaches to ice skating to biggest shops in qld all within few mins drive:thumbsup:

spadgersdad Jul 25th 2008 12:48 am

Hi Bruce,
Just read your message we have friends in Redcliffe that offer a friendly and supportive service and I am sure they would be happy to help you out if you log onto headstart homestay they are ideally located and it would be good to stay with someone that knows the area.

Sharon

annqldau Jul 25th 2008 11:28 am

Originally Posted by littlehobo75 (Post 6607846)
Hi, we're moving back to Brisbane in Jan 09 (we're out there for a year in 2006, living in Annerley).

We are thinking of moving to Redcliffe and maybe working in Redcliffe Hospital. Does anyone have any experience of living and working there?

Ta

Bruce

Redcliffe an up and coming area you won't recognise the sea front in a few years. However to live you may better off working in the hospital but living in the surrounding suburbs of Scarborough, Clontarf, Margate or like the other poster said Woody Point.