Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Information and encouragement needed!

Information and encouragement needed!

Old May 25th 2005, 6:49 pm
jude

judeyoga will become famous soon enoughjudeyoga will become famous soon enough
Default Information and encouragement needed!

Am trying to look at emigration with eyes fully open. It is easy to look at house prices and think how much cheaper they are in Perth than UK but aren't wages lower too? Also have heard that taxes etc are higher so take home pay is less. Are there any nurses out there who wouldn't mind telling me an average take home salary? Am feeling wobbly about the process and want to know what I am letting myself in for!

Any words of encouragement would be very welcome!
Old May 25th 2005, 7:03 pm
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Information and encouragement needed!

Hi judeyoga, sorry can't help with the wages bit.
Just wanted to say that, if you want it, go get it. you can ask questions all week long and that's great. forwarned is forarmed. but you will always live to your means and make ends meet. it takes about 2-3 years to be financialy where you were when you left the UK (so they say).
I hope that someone can put your mind at rest, but it is worth the shot, even just to say that you took the bull by the horns and did it.
Good luck with whatever you decide. i am sure it will be the right decision.

Louise
Old May 25th 2005, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

noregrets will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by judeyoga

Any words of encouragement would be very welcome!
hi

www.wages.com.au

www.aussiemove.com.aus/costlive.asp

these might help
Old May 25th 2005, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by judeyoga
Am trying to look at emigration with eyes fully open. It is easy to look at house prices and think how much cheaper they are in Perth than UK but aren't wages lower too? Also have heard that taxes etc are higher so take home pay is less. Are there any nurses out there who wouldn't mind telling me an average take home salary? Am feeling wobbly about the process and want to know what I am letting myself in for!
I think as a nurse you will be fine. Likewise tradespeople or teachers. People with white collar jobs are the ones that are likely to end up significantly worse off.

If you assume wages and house prices are highest in London and the South East for non-public sector jobs, then Perth is the equivalent of say Newcastle or Exeter. House prices are much cheaper but then unless your pay is determined by national agreements, such as nurses or teachers, or you are in high demand like plumbers, then you're likely to be worse off.

House prices make such a difference though. I work in IT and wages have definitely fallen in real terms over the last say 5 years. What with the discrepancy in house prices, it means that I am far better off moving out of the South East and accepting £5k less per year in exchange for detached house prices that are £80k less.