Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

info wanted on working and moving to australia?

Wikiposts

info wanted on working and moving to australia?

Old Feb 2nd 2003, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default info wanted on working and moving to australia?

Hi everyone just came back from australia last week on 4 week holiday and loved it very much and wish possibly to stay there

i have a cousin there who is married and have there own business there and have been there 15+ years

as i hope to maybe live there one day im not sure what i should do i was thinking of going on a working holiday for a year to try it out first and make sure i really want to be there if so what visa would i need?

if i did not like it as much as first thought i then have a house to come back to and family but then if its still what i want to do and move over there then after my year there come home and sell up everything i have a start my new life over there

i would love just to go over there and sell up first but then if i did not like it there then i would have nothing to come back to apart from my family

i beleive i will like it but thought going over for a year first would be best

i needed to know can someone apply for a visa for working there for a year and also one for staying there for good at same time or has this to be done after that year is up

if one for staying there was applied for how long does one wait for does it help if i have cousin over there who has business and me also being a tradesman

whats the best or required visa i would need for both working holiday and staying there also just say i applied for a visa to stay there and i received a reply i could go does one need to go right away or can one get time to move over if so how much time?

as if i wanted to move over there after my year was up i would need to come home and sell my home etc which could maybe take some time

i would love to here from anyone who knows about what i ask above
Old Feb 2nd 2003, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant future

Working Holiday Visas are currently available to persons from certain coutries who are aged between 18 to 30. See http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/temp_whm.htm

If you are aged or nationailyy barred from that programme then you will need to determine whether you will quailfy to migrate on any other programme see http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/migration_info.htm

(in the first instance look up the skilled migration programme)

as you talk of your cousin "also being a tradesman" I infer that you are a tradesman, if you have the appropriate qualifications (judged eqivalent to aussie quals) then you MIGHT be in with a shot (depends on age, language ability etc)

you talk of having cousins in australia but do you have an aunt or uncle (first-cousin's parents ?) if such an aunt/uncle were prepared to sponsor (and you could find an assurer) then you may wish to look at the Skilled - Australian Sponsored stream else look first at Skilled Independent http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/skill_general.htm

If you do decide to persue the migration route you should try and commit yourself to a minimum stay in Oz of two years