Reload this Page >

Info wanted on living in NZ

Info wanted on living in NZ

Old Sep 4th 2003, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Dee_e56 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Info wanted on living in NZ

Hi

I have read a lot of the postings on here and they have been a great help, thank you to all. I still have some questions if anyone can help. I spoke to a very nice lady yesterday who lived in NZ about 9yrs ago I felt her attitude was more negative than possitive about NZ. I am hoping to move to NZ next year with my family if my husband gets a job offer. Here are some questions
1. how good is the education system
2. How bad is the crime rate
3. How good is the TV and do you have satelite TV
4. How good is the health care system is private expensive
5. I am looking to move to either Auckland or Christchurch as my husband is in aviation, could you recommend some good area's to live.
6. Last question Is it right the law says children under 14yrs are not allowed to be left alone or playoutside with friends without adult supervision. I was told this yesterday, I think my 12yr old would be unhappy by that one.

I know one or two of these questions maybe a little odd but they are important to my children.

Thank you
Dee
Old Sep 4th 2003, 10:31 am
NZ 2004 ... Inshallah

robernelli is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Info wanted on living in NZ

Originally posted by Dee_e56
Hi

I have read a lot of the postings on here and they have been a great help, thank you to all. I still have some questions if anyone can help. I spoke to a very nice lady yesterday who lived in NZ about 9yrs ago I felt her attitude was more negative than possitive about NZ. I am hoping to move to NZ next year with my family if my husband gets a job offer. Here are some questions
1. how good is the education system
2. How bad is the crime rate
5. I am looking to move to either Auckland or Christchurch as my husband is in aviation, could you recommend some good area's to live.
6. Last question Is it right the law says children under 14yrs are not allowed to be left alone or playoutside with friends without adult supervision. I was told this yesterday, I think my 12yr old would be unhappy by that one.

I know one or two of these questions maybe a little odd but they are important to my children.

Thank you
Dee
Hi Dee,

I dont live in NZ so there will be better people to comment on this site than me. I will give my thourghts anyway if I can. I would say that do not be put off by one persons comments as most people on this website are very positive, and not just those who are moving/have just moved but those who have been there a while. Anybody could have a bad experience personally. For example, crime will always seem worse if they have been a victim themselves. I think there are suprisingly high rates of ceratin crimes (car crime for example) in certain areas, mainly cities but this have to be placed into context with other countries such as the UK and Oz too. Dare I say that the figures may also be more honest. Governments here keep telling us that rates on most crimes are going down but does anybody believe them? Statistics show that serious crime is considerably lower in NZ.

I think it is a concensus that TV is rubbish but they do have satelite as a saviour to some extent

I would not like to comment on the education system though I have not read too much negatives on this or any other site. My wife and I have some expereience with the health care system but only limited. The impression I was given that the national health care is a little similar to here (hospitals seem cleenber though and staff are exceptionally friendly which also helps). Don't expect to be seen any quicker though. Not sure about private cover.

We too could be in either Christchurch or Auckland (or Wellington). I have an idea about the best areas to live but I had better leave that to people living there. You will probably know what a gap there is in prices though between the two cities so though I was originally hoping for Auckland I am now considering what could be bought with no mortgage in Chch. Very appealling.

Can't really help further than that. Just a few thourghts. Sorry.

Rob
Old Sep 4th 2003, 10:36 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by robernelli
I think it is a concensus that TV is rubbish but they do have satelite as a saviour to some extent
Rob

I don't think the terrestrial FTA TV stations are quite as bad as people make out. News coverage was OK, there were plenty of documentaries and quite a few of the popular series from the UK and USA.

If you expect to turn on the box at anytime and find something good - then you'll be disappointed. But if you are prepared to pick a few choice prgrammes, free TV isn't so bad.
Old Sep 4th 2003, 10:43 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

The main reason TV is described as rubbish by Brits is because there is no BBC equivalent and all channels have ads. So your standard BBC half hour comedy show takes 40min in NZ. The other side of this coin - no licence fee.

I find the programming is generally on a par with say ITV, and caters to the lowest denominator. There is relatively little high brow stuff, or more cutting edge C4 type stuff.

I agree, you need to plan what to watch, not just tune in and hope something good is on.

I'll throw one question right back at you - how really important is TV to you? It would seem to me to be a shame to move to NZ and not take advantage of the many alternative forms of entertainment available (but that is just me).
Old Sep 4th 2003, 10:50 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

All of these things are a matter of opinion, but my thoughts on a few....

It depends on your tastes. NZ TV does show the best of UK and USA TV - whereas in the UK most of the good USA TV is on satellite or buried late at night (and then only after showing on E4). If you like BBC2 then you may miss that, but for me the Discovery channel shown in NZ is better than the UK Discovery channel. Same amount of reality Tv rubbish though - NZ has possibly less even...?

I don't have any experience with hospitals (touch wood), but I prefer to pay $30 - $40 and get seen by a GP on the spot (in NZ), rather than wait weeks to find a doctor accepting new patients, and then wait some more weeks for an appointment... (in the UK).

I'm not sure about this one - I would imagine it may be true for leaving your kids at home alone - but as for the playing outside - i would think that if this law does it exist it is largely ignored and unpoliced. I'm sure it is there as a safeguard against neglection, not for day to day living.
Old Sep 4th 2003, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

Default thanks

Thanks for the replies so far. Tv is very important to my children and when you are moving so far away from family, friends its important that they have some home comforts that they feel they can still relate to.

If you have any further info on places to live etc it would be a great help.

Im forever looking on the web at houses to buy and rent but when you don't know the area's its difficult to make any decisions.

We have decided to apply for visa's for NZ and OZ if my hubby gets job offer or not. We are going to sell house next year when the tennants who live in our house in wales lease ends. We are at present living in beautiful Switzerland. When we have sold the house we are hoping to go over on visa's travel around and look for work if thats possible.

more replies welcomed
Dee
Old Sep 4th 2003, 11:08 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: thanks

Thanks for the replies so far. Tv is very important to my children and when you are moving so far away from family, friends its important that they have some home comforts that they feel they can still relate to.

If you have any further info on places to live etc it would be a great help.

Im forever looking on the web at houses to buy and rent but when you don't know the area's its difficult to make any decisions.

We have decided to apply for visa's for NZ and OZ if my hubby gets job offer or not. We are going to sell house next year when the tennants who live in our house in wales lease ends. We are at present living in beautiful Switzerland. When we have sold the house we are hoping to go over on visa's travel around and look for work if thats possible.

more replies welcomed
Dee

Wow - Switzerland is one of my favourite countries. Why do you not want to live there?

On childrens TV, yes we too are going to miss Cbeebees. My wife has filled 3 whole video tapes with it recently. We're not worrierd about most of the other stuff, seems to always be violent cartoons.

I visited NZ in April for the first time in 5 years. What struck me was how 'out and about' the kids all were. And they were all very self assured yet polite, while getting on and doing kids things like sports, riding bikes, skateboards etc, and playing with each other...
Old Sep 4th 2003, 12:33 pm
Re-Member

Chris H-L is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by robernelli
I was originally hoping for Auckland I am now considering what could be bought with no mortgage in Chch. Very appealling.
If you have kids, watch out for the school zones.
This is what drives prices in Chch. The houses in the good zones command prices similar to Auckland. Who would have thought that the most sought-after real-estate would be directly under the airport approach path and some of the cheapest on the coast!
Old Sep 4th 2003, 12:40 pm
Re-Member

Chris H-L is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: thanks

The kids will certainly be able to relate to the TV - they will have seen most of the stuff already. There is a lot of BBC and other UK programming on NZ TV, most of it from about 6 months/1yr ago!
Old Sep 4th 2003, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

Yes Switzerland is a beautiful place so much to see and im lucky to say we have traveled here a lot, been to the Eiger and skied pasted it. Where we live its great you can leave swiss enter france through to germany back to swiss in half an hour not many place's you can do that.
Why do I want to leave well its a very expensive place to live and this was only ever a step in stone for us to get used to leaving UK family and friends and onto our dream of living in NZ.
I have always seen NZ as a beautiful country with a lot to offer us as a family. When you have children you always wonder if these decisions you make are the right ones, i think you just have to take a gamble, but its always good to have some info before you take the plunge.
As for TV and children yes they will take advantage of the outdoor facilities but my son has a type of autism, he does not like change, he loves his tv, so now people may understand the importance of the question.
When we moved to Swiss we had two channels so anything more than that plus the fact that its english speaking is a bonus lol.
keep the posts coming its great to see people making the effort
Old Sep 4th 2003, 1:35 pm
Here in Dunedin

Dee,

Here is today's schedule on NZ terrestial channels.

http://xtramsn.co.nz/entertainment/0,,8142,00.html

TV3 looks quite good with all the favourites:

Teletubbies
Postman Pat
Miffy
Thomas the Tank Engine
Bob the Builder
Sesame St

Looks a bit quiet during the middle of day then until 3pm when TV2 has stuff for the older kids.

And on Sky Satellite there are at least 2 kids channels - Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network, which show mainly cartoons throughout the day.

http://www.skytelevision.co.nz/index...p-2003&genre=5

Hope this helps.

Southerner

ps - Isn't Pingu made in Switzerland? I hear they are looking for a new Pingu voice, the previous guy (who was Italian actually) now sounds to old. He used to just make any sound that came into his head (fooled me, I thought it was Norwegian, Swedish or something).

Anyone looking for a job in Switzerland?
Old Sep 4th 2003, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs up thank you Southerner

thanks for those links I can tell you my son is very happy.
Old Sep 4th 2003, 2:58 pm
Here in Dunedin

Default Re: thank you Southerner

thanks for those links I can tell you my son is very happy.
Dee,

Hey, I'm glad I could help.

What's your son's favourite programme? My 18mth boy used to love the Fimbles but is now really keen on Noddy and Andy Pandy.
Old Sep 4th 2003, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by southerner
Dee,

Hey, I'm glad I could help.

What's your son's favourite programme? My 18mth boy used to love the Fimbles but is now really keen on Noddy and Andy Pandy.

Well i am glad to say my son is past thoses programmes he is 14yrs old but i remember at that age it was thomas the tank engine, now its more to do with Charmed and Roswell anything with hot Babes will do I think lol. I showed him that sight i senced a sigh of relief he said listerning to the simpsons in german is not quite the same, I have to agree, lol

What part of the world are you from do you intend to live in NZ You say you had a holiday there how did you find it there.

thanks again
Dee
Old Sep 4th 2003, 3:35 pm
Here in Dunedin

Well i am glad to say my son is past thoses programmes he is 14yrs old but i remember at that age it was thomas the tank engine, now its more to do with Charmed and Roswell anything with hot Babes will do I think lol. I showed him that sight i senced a sigh of relief he said listerning to the simpsons in german is not quite the same, I have to agree, lol

What part of the world are you from do you intend to live in NZ You say you had a holiday there how did you find it there.

thanks again
Dee
I'm from all parts of the South Island really, and am returning with my English wife and kids to Dunedin. The holiday was our time to decide "go" or "no go", and it was tremendous. Everything felt right, it fitted like a glove.

Still its a big change for us, and we are prepared to have to put some effort in.

Have spent a few holidays in CH. Really enjoyed Kandersteg, and had a good night or two out in Berne. I take it you are around Basel?

Regards

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.