Info regarding work?

Old Mar 27th 2006, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

Maggie28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Info regarding work?

Hello
First time visiting forum.
Just wanted to ask about the length of time it takes to process
getting everything needed to live and work in Australia?

My fiancee is a chartered accountant and I am trying to convince him
to move to Oz but I don't think he is so keen on the idea.
Anyway, because he is an accountant, which they say they badly need, he could get offered work right away. And as he is 48, he should get an exemption due to the high demand for accountants.
If an employer offers to sponsor him, can he go right away and work or does he have to wait for a visa and whatever before going? And roughly how long does it take for the process?
thanks in advance
Old Mar 27th 2006, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Info regarding work?

Hi Maggie - I'm fairly new here too but from the research I've done then it all depends on what visa you go for.

There are quite a few companies who have government labour contracts and therefore its a matter of weeks - next quickest seems to be Temporary Business 457 but this has some bad points (see other posts) and then there is ENS or RSMS both of which seem to be 6 mths.

The longest bit looks like the Trade RA bit which we're not involved in but maybe accountants would???

Probably given you more questions than answers and further posts will probably say I've got the wrong end of the stick - in which case I'll look forward to further posts!!!!!

Good luck!
Old Mar 27th 2006, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Info regarding work?

Hi jo
There was a recruiting drive on at the weekend here in Glasgow at the SECC and I spoke to a lady who works for the government in the Northern territory.
She tried to explain a lot of things to me and gave me a few tips on what to do. Got my fiancee to register with www.seek.com and registered with the ICCA. Had a browse through some of the links she gave me to look at.
She did say that because of age, an employer would be looking for him to work for them for at least 2-4 years as they would have to sponsor him.
That's fine, hopefully, can expect to start right away then.
I guess we have to wait and see what will happen regarding visas and what have you.
Old Mar 27th 2006, 5:41 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maggie28
She did say that because of age, an employer would be looking for him to work for them for at least 2-4 years as they would have to sponsor him.
You must realise that after the age of 45 it is very difficult to get a permanent residency visa regardless of his occupation.

this sounds like a temporary visa and will give no security whatever. If the job does not work out you have to leave the country.

At the end of the contract you would need to find another sponsor or leave the country.

Be very careful and get proper advice.

Do not even go unless you can get a written guarantee of PR sponsorship(not easy and not automatic).

G
Old Mar 27th 2006, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Grayling
You must realise that after the age of 45 it is very difficult to get a permanent residency visa regardless of his occupation.

this sounds like a temporary visa and will give no security whatever. If the job does not work out you have to leave the country.

At the end of the contract you would need to find another sponsor or leave the country.

Be very careful and get proper advice.

Do not even go unless you can get a written guarantee of PR sponsorship(not easy and not automatic).

G
Thanks for input. Don't intend to go unless guaranteed a job/sponsorship.
And we will hold on to our house for a wee while here just in case?
Old Mar 27th 2006, 6:52 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maggie28
Thanks for input. Don't intend to go unless guaranteed a job/sponsorship.
And we will hold on to our house for a wee while here just in case?
Not just a job/sponsorship....that is easy to get.

Make sure it is sponsorship for permanent residency .......not temporary.

G