British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Info for pregnant ladies transitting through Singapore (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/info-pregnant-ladies-transitting-through-singapore-279587/)

Wave the Sails Jan 24th 2005 10:06 am

Info for pregnant ladies transitting through Singapore

This is an information post only.

I am always asking the questions so thought I would post this in the hope that anyone who needs it will find this useful either now or in the future!

If you are planning a trip to Australia (via Singapore) and you will be more than 24 weeks pregnant at the time you will need a Social Visit Pass (Expectant Mother).
You apply for this from the Singapore High Commission in London 0207 235 8315
They require that you have:

A letter from your Doctor with your EDD (estimated due date) saying that you are medically fit to fly

A letter from you saying you saying that you are medically fit to fly, your EDD and that if you have your baby in Singapore you will not claim citizenship for them and you will leave as soon as possible. Also proof of your onward departure journey and that you have sufficient funds to cover your stay.

Copies of your passport

Passport sized photograph

I don't think I've forgotten anything. Good job it was in the Austravel blurb when I booked as the Migration Agent didn't mention it and neither did the Travel Agent.

Hope this has helped.

Mrs J.

mcdst Jan 24th 2005 12:44 pm

Re: Info for pregnant ladies transitting through Singapore

Thanks for letting me know Stef. It just gets better and better for me.

Claire

Wave the Sails Jan 24th 2005 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by mcdst
Thanks for letting me know Stef. It just gets better and better for me.

Claire

Mine came back almost by return so as long as you give them what they want it's fairly speedy!

kmunce Jan 25th 2005 11:31 am

Originally Posted by The Jones Family

I am always asking the questions so thought I would post this in the hope that anyone who needs it will find this useful either now or in the future!

If you are planning a trip to Australia (via Singapore) and you will be more than 24 weeks pregnant at the time you will need a Social Visit Pass (Expectant Mother).

A letter from your Doctor with your EDD (estimated due date) saying that you are medically fit to fly

A letter from you saying you saying that you are medically fit to fly, your EDD and that if you have your baby in Singapore you will not claim citizenship for them and you will leave as soon as possible. Also proof of your onward departure journey and that you have sufficient funds to cover your stay.

Copies of your passport

I don't think I've forgotten anything. Good job it was in the Austravel blurb when I booked as the Migration Agent didn't mention it and neither did the Travel Agent.

Hope this has helped.

Mrs J.

Hi,
I am travelling to australia in 2 weeks and will be 31 weeks pregnant. We are going Singapore airlines and have to stop off for a couple of hours at the airport, so do I need to write a letter myself as well as getting the doctors certificate? What is this Social Visit Pass?? No one has told me about this??!!
Thanks.

Wave the Sails Jan 25th 2005 11:58 am

Originally Posted by kmunce
Hi,
I am travelling to australia in 2 weeks and will be 31 weeks pregnant. We are going Singapore airlines and have to stop off for a couple of hours at the airport, so do I need to write a letter myself as well as getting the doctors certificate? What is this Social Visit Pass?? No one has told me about this??!!
Thanks.

Sorry if my post wasn't clear enough

You need to write a letter and so does your doctor.

I am pretty sure you need a Social Visit pass (Visa) even if just transitting through. It's in case you go into labour, they don't want you claiming citizenship for the baby.

I only found out by accident, it was in the small print/blurb Austravel sent through with our flight confirmation. Apparently the airlines don't automatically tell you and neither do Travel Agents.

Call the number I have given and they should help. However, I was told to let them know 6 weeks before travelling :eek:

You have to show your Visa at Passport Control or they will refuse you entry if caught sneaking through trying to disguise bump!

HTH Let me know if I can do anything else.

kmunce Jan 25th 2005 1:23 pm

Sorry if my post wasn't clear enough

You need to write a letter and so does your doctor.

I am pretty sure you need a Social Visit pass (Visa) even if just transitting through. It's in case you go into labour, they don't want you claiming citizenship for the baby.

I only found out by accident, it was in the small print/blurb Austravel sent through with our flight confirmation. Apparently the airlines don't automatically tell you and neither do Travel Agents.

Call the number I have given and they should help. However, I was told to let them know 6 weeks before travelling :eek:

You have to show your Visa at Passport Control or they will refuse you entry if caught sneaking through trying to disguise bump!

HTH Let me know if I can do anything else.

Thankyou so much!!!!!!! If I hadn't have read your post there is no way I would have known!!! How stupid that the airline or travel agent - to whom I have both spoken to about being pregnant flying - don't tell you something like that. I called the number and they are sending me an application form. I told them I'm flying 10th Feb and they said that should be enough time to get the letter back, if I don't they said they can inform them in Singapore that I'm coming. How ridiculous, now I have to get a doctors certificate in the next day or so to send off with this application, then another one within 7 days of flying to show the airline when I board the plane in London.
At least they don't charge you for this as well!!!
You are a lifesaver, I would have been stuck otherwise. :D

mcdst Jan 25th 2005 2:05 pm

Hello kmunce

I see that you will be 31 weeks pregnent when you travel to Oz. I too will be pregnent 31/32 weeks when pregnent - am hoping to fly the first week in March.

Could you tell me how you went about organising your travel insurance as I believe they are reluctant to insure you after 28 weeks. Did you buy a return flight or just book one way? I am trying to get mine organised.

Am so glad that I am not alone out there being pregnent and flying so close to my deadline.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks
Claire

kmunce Jan 25th 2005 2:19 pm

Hello kmunce

I see that you will be 31 weeks pregnent when you travel to Oz. I too will be pregnent 31/32 weeks when pregnent - am hoping to fly the first week in March.

Could you tell me how you went about organising your travel insurance as I believe they are reluctant to insure you after 28 weeks. Did you buy a return flight or just book one way? I am trying to get mine organised.

Am so glad that I am not alone out there being pregnent and flying so close to my deadline.

Thanks
Claire

Hi Claire,

I couldn't find any insurance for me and the baby, I had to get normal insurance ( I got that from Flight Centre who I booked my ticket through) which only covers me, and if I had the baby on the way I won't be covered. I had no choice and am pretty sure it won't happen to me anyway!!
I am desperate to get home (I'm Australian), I've been in the UK for 2 years and met my English husband while over here and since I've found out I'm pregnant I've been really homesick and am dragging his ass back there. He just got his Spouse visa so we are both getting one way tickets. It's scary flying all that way being that pregnant but hopefully it won't be too bad. After we booked our flights I called the airline and asked if we could get exit seats as I'm pregnant and will be quite uncomfortable I imagine. They said this is not possible as I have to be able bodied to sit there incase something happened and the people sitting there have to help in an emergency. They suggested I could request another seat called a wall seat I think??? I'm not sure but they said it is near where the dinner trays are made up and apparanty you get more leg room there. Fingers crossed eh.
I'll have to let you know how I went when I arrive in oz so you know what you're in for!! You never know, if we put it on enough they may feel sorry for us and upgrade us!! :D

HiddenPaw Jan 25th 2005 2:20 pm

Copies of your passport

Hope this has helped.

Mrs J.

Hi Mrs J
Is this a new ruling? I stopped over in Singapore when I was about 25 weeks pregnant. I didn't have the expectatnt mother letter, nor did Singapore Airlines tell me about the requirement (I booked with them in person (not thru an agent)when I was about 22 weeks pregnant and told them I was pregnant but they didn't say anything about getting doc notes, etc). However, when I got to immigration control at Changi, I got grilled about my pregnancy, my travel plans, why I was travelling whilst pregnant, how long I was going to be in Singapore, where I was going next, where I was going to have the baby, could they see my onward ticket, etc. I did think at the time that I was asked an unusually high number of questions - all makes sense now!! But as I say, I didn't have any medical letters and I didn't have to sign anything to say I would not apply for citizenship for the baby should I deliver prematurely. They allowed me to enter Singapore no further Qs asked!

Good luck to all travelling while PG! :)

Wave the Sails Jan 25th 2005 3:15 pm

Hello kmunce

Thanks
Claire

I got my travel insurance through Austravel, no problems at all up to about 32 weeks I think. You just have to tell their underwriters. If say 20 week scan showed an anomaly and you had to have treatment related to that anomaly then you wouldn't be covered. Everything else it. Cost us about 50 quid for the the three of us, but nothing I dont think for peace of mind. My pregnancy is also covered by BUPA International as I'm a bit of a belt and braces kind of gal!!

My Platinm Bank Card wouldn't cover us with our usual insurance as it's one-way.

HTH

Wave the Sails Jan 25th 2005 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Hi Mrs J
Is this a new ruling? I stopped over in Singapore when I was about 25 weeks pregnant. I didn't have the expectatnt mother letter, nor did Singapore Airlines tell me about the requirement (I booked with them in person (not thru an agent)when I was about 22 weeks pregnant and told them I was pregnant but they didn't say anything about getting doc notes, etc). However, when I got to immigration control at Changi, I got grilled about my pregnancy, my travel plans, why I was travelling whilst pregnant, how long I was going to be in Singapore, where I was going next, where I was going to have the baby, could they see my onward ticket, etc. I did think at the time that I was asked an unusually high number of questions - all makes sense now!! But as I say, I didn't have any medical letters and I didn't have to sign anything to say I would not apply for citizenship for the baby should I deliver prematurely. They allowed me to enter Singapore no further Qs asked!

Good luck to all travelling while PG! :)

I have no idea if it's new or not, these things change all the time though. They were obviously thinking about it when they grilled you.

As I said, I really only found out by reading the small print (not something I usually do!)

Wave the Sails Jan 25th 2005 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by kmunce
Hi Claire,

I couldn't find any insurance for me and the baby, I had to get normal insurance ( I got that from Flight Centre who I booked my ticket through) which only covers me, and if I had the baby on the way I won't be covered. I had no choice and am pretty sure it won't happen to me anyway!!
I am desperate to get home (I'm Australian), I've been in the UK for 2 years and met my English husband while over here and since I've found out I'm pregnant I've been really homesick and am dragging his ass back there. He just got his Spouse visa so we are both getting one way tickets. It's scary flying all that way being that pregnant but hopefully it won't be too bad. After we booked our flights I called the airline and asked if we could get exit seats as I'm pregnant and will be quite uncomfortable I imagine. They said this is not possible as I have to be able bodied to sit there incase something happened and the people sitting there have to help in an emergency. They suggested I could request another seat called a wall seat I think??? I'm not sure but they said it is near where the dinner trays are made up and apparanty you get more leg room there. Fingers crossed eh.
I'll have to let you know how I went when I arrive in oz so you know what you're in for!! You never know, if we put it on enough they may feel sorry for us and upgrade us!! :D

If you are travelling March 1st don't ask to be upgraded. We'll be in Business Class with our 17 month old toddler :scared:

Englishmum Jan 25th 2005 4:16 pm

We used to live in Singapore for a number of years and they are paranoid about women from 'poor' (mostly Asian) countries delivering babies there....they don't want them turning up at a Singapore hospital without the means to pay for medical care.

Similarly to the UK, just by actually giving birth in Singapore does not convey Singapore citizenship anyway....many of my expat friends had a baby in Singapore and all their birth certificates are stamped "Not A Singapore Citizen". Most of them thought this was hilarious as they wondered why they should ever want to claim it anyway....but then again they were from First World countries.

All the maids working in Singapore (mainly Filipinas, Indonesian, Sri Lankan) have to have a medical test every six months. The main reason for this is that the Singapore govt. does *not* want them to have babies in Singapore, so they have to have a pregnancy test - as well as having their tummies manually checked. They immediately have to be deported and the employers have their $5,000 bond confiscated.

My friend's Filipina maid became pregnant but was trying to hide it...it was obvious that she was about 4 months pregnant. My friend was very worried as her husband was away on a business trip for a couple of weeks....so we suggested that she insist that the maid use a home pregnancy testing kit. It turned out that indeed she was pregnant.....and at her medical a couple of months earlier she had switched her urine sample with that of her friend who accompanied her to the clinic, but the doctor who clearly hadn't checked her womb manually could have got into a lot of trouble with the Singaporean authorities. It was very sad, but my friend had to get the maid agency to send the maid back to the Philippines.

Another thing which is kept quiet there is that Singaporean males are not allowed to marry women from many of these Third World countries in Singapore....basically they are looked down on as second class citizens and they don't want too many babies born with parents from another country (especially a poor one): males still have to do National Service and if there was a conflict with a neighbouring country they fear that with a foreign parent their loyalties might lie elsewhere.

Our Filipina maid was having a clandestine affair with a Singaporean guy...and they got married in the Philippines as it was not possible in Singapore..... :rolleyes:

Wave the Sails Jan 25th 2005 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum
We used to live in Singapore for a number of years and they are paranoid about women from 'poor' (mostly Asian) countries delivering babies there....they don't want them turning up at a Singapore hospital without the means to pay for medical care.

Similarly to the UK, just by actually giving birth in Singapore does not convey Singapore citizenship anyway....many of my expat friends had a baby in Singapore and all their birth certificates are stamped "Not A Singapore Citizen". Most of them thought this was hilarious as they wondered why they should ever want to claim it anyway....but then again they were from First World countries.

All the maids working in Singapore (mainly Filipinas, Indonesian, Sri Lankan) have to have a medical test every six months. The main reason for this is that the Singapore govt. does *not* want them to have babies in Singapore, so they have to have a pregnancy test - as well as having their tummies manually checked. They immediately have to be deported and the employers have their $5,000 bond confiscated.

My friend's Filipina maid became pregnant but was trying to hide it...it was obvious that she was about 4 months pregnant. My friend was very worried as her husband was away on a business trip for a couple of weeks....so we suggested that she insist that the maid use a home pregnancy testing kit. It turned out that indeed she was pregnant.....and at her medical a couple of months earlier she had switched her urine sample with that of her friend who accompanied her to the clinic, but the doctor who clearly hadn't checked her womb manually could have got into a lot of trouble with the Singaporean authorities. It was very sad, but my friend had to get the maid agency to send the maid back to the Philippines.

Another thing which is kept quiet there is that Singaporean males are not allowed to marry women from many of these Third World countries in Singapore....basically they are looked down on as second class citizens and they don't want too many babies born with parents from another country (especially a poor one): males still have to do National Service and if there was a conflict with a neighbouring country they fear that with a foreign parent their loyalties might lie elsewhere.

Our Filipina maid was having a clandestine affair with a Singaporean guy...and they got married in the Philippines as it was not possible in Singapore..... :rolleyes:

Gosh that's really interesting, thanks for that.

kmunce Jan 26th 2005 9:03 am

If you are travelling March 1st don't ask to be upgraded. We'll be in Business Class with our 17 month old toddler :scared:

Haha, I'll be travelling 10th Feb so it's safe!!! ;)