Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Info on Palmerston North

Wikiposts

Info on Palmerston North

Old Sep 25th 2003, 3:49 am
Forum Regular

Pastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of light
Default Info on Palmerston North

Last night I had an interview with Fonterra, one of the biggest employers in NZ, for a job which would be based in Palmerston North.

Could anyone please help with advice and information on Palmerston North. During the 5 weeks travelling NZ, that was one of the few places we didn't goto, typical.

We need info on what the area is like for a family, schools, cost of living, what price an average 4 bed house would be.

I know that there are some negative thoughts on this area which we heard whilst in NZ, but I think some of those may be biased and because they were from Auckland, and Auckland people don't like people from Wellington e.t.c

The job sounds really interesting and I am very optimistic about my chances, so your help would be appreciated, and will enable us to make the right choice for our family.

Thanks Paul
Old Sep 25th 2003, 8:39 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I'm no expert on Palmerston North, but here is what I know... I haven't been there for quite a while, but used to visit family there many years ago

It has one of the biggest universities in NZ (Massey) so that gives the town some 'brains' and life it might not otherwise have.

It's quite a small town by UK standards, and depending on what your wife does, it may be difficult for her to find a good job as well.

It's 2 hours south to Wellington, so I guess it may be possible to live on the Kapiti coast or Waikanae and commute either to PN or Wgtn, though it would be a longish commute I think (1 hour in each direction) - and probably need to be by car to PN, train would be possible to Wellington.

Living around Waikanae would give you the amenities of Wellington within reach on weekends however - which may or may not be important for you.

Otherwise PN is a pleasant enough town, and positionally good if you're into hiking or getting into the outdoors. Taranaki, Ruapehu, Lake Taupo are all not too far away so it's good in that regard.

Not idea about schools - but my cousins grew up there and they turned out alright!

have a look on www.open2view.com , www.realenz.co.nz or http://www.propertystuff.co.nz (which has useful 'suburb profiles') for property prices

Hope that helps! I wouldn't hesitate to live there if the jobs was what I wanted - though I like smallish towns - and my only reservation would be if my partner could find a job as well.
Old Sep 25th 2003, 8:42 am
Just Joined

miss brodie is an unknown quantity at this point

Palmerston North gets a bad press as being very dull. It's not only Aucklanders who think this, but also Wellingtonians. The town itself is not very inspirng - I think part of this is the fact that there is no water - no harbour views, no lakes, no beaches. But there is some very nice countryside close to Palmy and I understand that the presence of Massey University in the town makes it much more lively than some of the other inland settlements. I have a few friends from Palmy who love the place - I think that it might be the kind of place that grows on you.
Old Sep 25th 2003, 8:44 am
Just Joined

miss brodie is an unknown quantity at this point

PS
I lived in Bedford just before coming to NZ. Whereabouts are you?
Old Sep 25th 2003, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

Pastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Miss Brodie

We live just off Miller road, south of Bedford, on the site where the meltis factory used to be.
Send me a PM or an email and we can talk more.

Palmy is starting to grow on me as I have recieved some other good comments from other contacts.

My wife is Nursery Nurse, so we dont think there will be a problem with work for her.

If anyone else can help, then the info would be appreaciated.

Thanks

Paul
Old Sep 26th 2003, 10:10 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

well aucklanders and wellingtonians say the same thing about hamilton, which is the same as 'palmy' (as locals affectionately call it) - admittedly hamilton is quite a bit bigger, but it also has no harbour views, no lakes, no beaches, but still a perfectly good place to live.

PN is not so isolated that you can't visit wellington, ruapehu, taupo etc should you wish to find these things.

There's really only two major inland towns in NZ that aren't by a lake, so consequently NZers rate them below those on the coast/by a lake.

Compare that to the UK where most people don't live near either - so I'm sure you'll find PN has enough regions around to satisfy any outdoorsy requirements. If you're after theatre and museums and things then you're out of luck - but then you shouldn't be going to NZ if you're used to London standard arts 'culture'.

Originally posted by miss brodie
Palmerston North gets a bad press as being very dull. It's not only Aucklanders who think this, but also Wellingtonians. The town itself is not very inspirng - I think part of this is the fact that there is no water - no harbour views, no lakes, no beaches. But there is some very nice countryside close to Palmy and I understand that the presence of Massey University in the town makes it much more lively than some of the other inland settlements. I have a few friends from Palmy who love the place - I think that it might be the kind of place that grows on you.
Old Sep 26th 2003, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Sorry no info on it, but congratulations on the job offer!