Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Info on Maintenance Engineer (Electrical/ multi skilled) jobs around Australia

Info on Maintenance Engineer (Electrical/ multi skilled) jobs around Australia

Old Jul 14th 2011, 12:55 pm

Jensanco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Info on Maintenance Engineer (Electrical/ multi skilled) jobs around Australia

Hi

I was wondering if any of you lovely people could give us any more info on
Maintenance Engineer (Elelctrical or Multi Skilled) jobs in Australia.

We have already been in this position before however things seem to have changed since then - as things have a habit of doing of course and actually seem harder now - sods law I guess? But we like a challenge.

We were lucky that hubby had worked lined up prior to emigrating previously and our visa's were paid for by a sponsoring company (which has since been sold off but the visa's have no restrictions for company area etc so are free to work and live wherever) whilst we appreciate we were very lucky and many others emigrating don't already have a job lined up with 4 children in tow we would just like to be a bit more aware of how prevelant? this position is round Australia now? Just so that really we can be aware before jumping in with iron boots on.
I know someone will come on here and say look at seek.com.au or register with agencies - we've done this and been told by the agencies that work is readily available in most states for hubby but no one will offer him anything without him being in the country..... hubby has also seen jobs he could do but I don't think a handful of websites give an accurate diagnosis of job availability?
Also having dealt with agencies in this country (UK) I know they're not always particularly honest either, so I'm hoping you lovely people who are out there now and possibly in the same field as hubby could fill in the missing gaps for us?

Hubby is prepared to go the distance and have a change of job if necessary but having done the same sort of job for 15 odd years we aren't sure how easy it would be to change career direction in this country let alone Australia as unfortuantely we didn't get to spend as much time there as we wanted

We are now very keen to return to Australia, and other than job curiosities for Oz our only hurdles are child visa for our daughter (although having got info about this we can make a case to get her visa we did get herthat ran out last December extended if they accept our reasons or it's about a 7 month wait) and selling our house.

Anyway we would really appreciate any info jobwise for hubby from those that know.

Hopefully someone will be able to help

Thanks
Old Jul 14th 2011, 1:34 pm

Simba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Info on Maintenance Engineer (Electrical/ multi skilled) jobs around Australia

I work for an electrical engineering company, when we advertise for engineers or electricians we normally want them to start ASAP because of work load, we normally hire them through an agency first and if they are good take them on full time, I don't think your hubby will have too much trouble finding work (particulary if he has experience of PLC's, Motor Starters, VSD's) but he needs to be here or be able to say he's moving very soon and for electrical work have a licence.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 3:14 pm

Jensanco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Info on Maintenance Engineer (Electrical/ multi skilled) jobs around Australia

Originally Posted by Simba
I work for an electrical engineering company, when we advertise for engineers or electricians we normally want them to start ASAP because of work load, we normally hire them through an agency first and if they are good take them on full time, I don't think your hubby will have too much trouble finding work (particulary if he has experience of PLC's, Motor Starters, VSD's) but he needs to be here or be able to say he's moving very soon and for electrical work have a licence.
Hi Simba thanks for your post.

He had a job in Sydney before and didn't HAVE to have a license initially as he was always working with someone else altho I think it would have been on the cards for him to have done had we been there longer. Do you have any info about getting that license please? An wether companies would take him on beforehand or if he'd have to have it first - thanks