Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Info on lots of things!

Info on lots of things!

Old Apr 15th 2004, 4:45 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Info on lots of things!

This is my first time to this so excuse me if I ask dumb questions! I am 40+ married to an Aussie born man. He and the two children have dual nationality/citizenship for Aus and Britain. We have decided to leave for a different way of life in Aus. I need the visa because they won't go without me. I have all the forms, declarations from friends etc. Does anyone know how long it takes to get the Spouse visa. We can't go out to validify visa until next summer (2005) and I keep hearing different things about the medical and police checks. Do they have a time limit. Should I apply now, or leave it until October (ish). I think I have lots more questions but this is quite enough for a forum virgin!

Penny
Old Apr 15th 2004, 4:54 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Info on lots of things!

Hi and welcome!!

The visa can take anywhere between a few days and 4 months. But usually a week or 2 if you don't have any character/health issues etc.

The medicals/police check are both valid for 1 year.
So, if you do the medical tomorrow, you'll have to be in Oz by 16 April 2005.

So, yes, leave it till Octoberish. That way, you'll also have a period, just incase you don't make it in the summer.
So then you'll have to be in Oz before October 2005.

Well, on with the next question!
Old Apr 15th 2004, 5:53 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spouse visa

Simone

Thanks for that. What with school holidays and Kevan's work holidays, if we don't get out there in the Summer hols we are delayed another year. We figure we need a good three to four weeks checking out ideal starting point living wise. Do you happen to know anything about the Gold Coast? We have discounted Perth, Sydney, NT for various reasons, Kevan feels Melbourne too busy but neither of us have been there. We know Perth quite well (well did 20 years ago) but thats a long way from anywhere.

I think I need to write questions down as I think of them and then ask everyone a bit at a time!

Penny
Old Apr 15th 2004, 6:00 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse visa

Originally posted by moneypen20
Simone
Do you happen to know anything about the Gold Coast?
Penny
Nope. But lot's do, type in 'gold coast' in the search box, top right corner.

I only 'know' Perth/southwest, 10 years ago, and I was 14.....
To me, it's not isolated, because I've lived more isolated: a tiny towns in the north west of WA. We had to drive 2 hours to do a reasonable bit of shopping
And 17 hours to Perth....

I'm sure you'll find lots of Gold Coast info on here.
Good luck and have fun searching
Old Apr 15th 2004, 6:22 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Penny, I just realised (after doing a search myself, and seeing that thread you brought back up) that I was confused with the Sunshine coast!
There's a few here on the Sunshine coast, and only the odd one on the Gold coast I think

Good luck with the decision!