Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Info on living in Highett???

Info on living in Highett???

Old Mar 30th 2012, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

NattLloyd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Info on living in Highett???

So... when my partner returns to Melbourne in two weeks after his short visit home his main task is to secure us a home, he's had one trip to Cheltenham to view two houses and said he didn't really get a feel for the area so we're now looking at houses in Highett and have found two nice ones worth viewing we just don't know much about the general area itself.

We're a young family who have a four year old boy, we obviously need to be near schools and at this point I don't drive and my partner will be working offshore so it's important that theres plenty of schools, transport and things to keep little man occupied in case I don't pass my driving test before I get over there.

any info people could give us on highett or if anyone could reccomend any other nice family suburbs nearby with decent sized modern homes it would be appreciated!!
Old Mar 30th 2012, 7:29 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Info on living in Highett???

Hi Nat, Highett and Cheltenham are both just down the road from us, they are next door to each other and very similar in character, so if you don't like Cheltenham I'd be surprised if you like Highett. I suppose Highett might be a bit more residential.

Would you consider our area - Parkdale/Mordialloc - which has lots of schools, train line and tons for kids to do within walking distance? Or there's Mentone too, which also has these facilities.

BB
Old Mar 30th 2012, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

If you are wanting to be handy to everything then you probably should look at Beachside of the Nepean Highway and near to the shopping strip at Highett, close to the shops at Mentone. This also gives you access to the railway if you want to go further afield.

I like Mentone beach side, I have to stress beachside is much nicer in my opinion than the non beach side. Same with Cheltenham.

If your oh is fly in fly out and work is not a problem for you then you really can live anywhere. I would head further out to say Mornington/Mount Martha, newer housing, lots of people with young children, nice beach, town. Lots of fellow Brits if you need company whilst oh is away etc.

Good luck
Old Mar 31st 2012, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

Hi, thanks for the advice...
Parkdale is probably the furthest out my OH will travel, when he's not offshore his offices are on St. Kilda road and he's not too keen on spending a lot of time commuting.

We have been looking at Parkdale I think Mordialloc may be too far but I'm just going on his experiences as to date but we are considering getting a car once we're settled so that may not be as much of an issue?

I will be looking for work myself once we're settled, Mentone is an area we will be looking into and it's an area he's briefly stayed in, though I'm not sure which side, we're also looking at Sandringham and Hampton?
Old Mar 31st 2012, 8:51 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Info on living in Highett???

Originally Posted by NattLloyd
Hi, thanks for the advice...
Parkdale is probably the furthest out my OH will travel, when he's not offshore his offices are on St. Kilda road and he's not too keen on spending a lot of time commuting.

We have been looking at Parkdale I think Mordialloc may be too far but I'm just going on his experiences as to date but we are considering getting a car once we're settled so that may not be as much of an issue?

I will be looking for work myself once we're settled, Mentone is an area we will be looking into and it's an area he's briefly stayed in, though I'm not sure which side, we're also looking at Sandringham and Hampton?
If you are commuting from Parkdale by train or car, going from Mordialloc would add 2 minutes to the journey literally. But I know you have to draw the line somewhere. Both are great family beachside suburbs.

BB
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

I'll look at houses in Mordialloc as well then he can always do the ride himself and see what he thinks on route to house viewings. It's so difficult when you have no idea the length of distance and time between all these suburbs! Lol