Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

info on living in Christchuch, NZ please!

info on living in Christchuch, NZ please!

Old Feb 2nd 2004, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

mcfrance is an unknown quantity at this point
Post info on living in Christchuch, NZ please!

We are an English family living in France who are seriously trying to get the ball rolling on emigrating to Christchurch, NZ.

It would be really good to hear your opinions on living and working there, good/bad areas, shopping, eating out, schools, houses.......

We have a 6 year old daughter who is very happy here in France, so are hoping the beaches will be a good selling point to her!

My husband is a builder with a class 1 HGV license. We have read there is a shortage of builders and heavy goods drivers, but wondered if anyone could point us towards any particular building or haulage firms in the area. Also has anyone else managed to secure residency from building or driving, if so, any tips?

How does the weather compare to English weather in general?
It seems that a lot of the houses, both old and new, have metal roofs, can't imagine what that sounds like when it rain! Is it loud and hideous?! And would it be a thing to avoid when buying a house?

Looking forward to your replies, many thanks.
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

WheelsOfSteel is on a distinguished road

NZ is on a fault line and has tremmers frequently. Thats why you get things like metal roofs, etc as it's easier to 'Quake Safe' the house.

Christchurch is a very nice town/city and the main beaches for Christchurch would be around Sumner and up to New Brighton. However, in my opinion the beaches out on Banks Peninsula are far nicer but for central ChChers, a fair treck!

Do a search on Banks Peninsula, it will show you where the beaches are, etc.
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 7:45 am
Just Joined

nzpenguin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: info on living in Christchuch, NZ please!

Originally posted by mcfrance
We are an English family living in France who are seriously trying to get the ball rolling on emigrating to Christchurch, NZ.

It would be really good to hear your opinions on living and working there, good/bad areas, shopping, eating out, schools, houses.......

We have a 6 year old daughter who is very happy here in France, so are hoping the beaches will be a good selling point to her!

My husband is a builder with a class 1 HGV license. We have read there is a shortage of builders and heavy goods drivers, but wondered if anyone could point us towards any particular building or haulage firms in the area. Also has anyone else managed to secure residency from building or driving, if so, any tips?

How does the weather compare to English weather in general?
It seems that a lot of the houses, both old and new, have metal roofs, can't imagine what that sounds like when it rain! Is it loud and hideous?! And would it be a thing to avoid when buying a house?

Looking forward to your replies, many thanks.
Hiya,

can't help you with any info as I'm not in NZ, yet. But do a search, most of the things you'd like to know about have been debated several times. Especially Christchurch a while back. Sometime last autumn, can't remember when. But lots of info was posted then.

penguin
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 11:25 pm
Life's a beach

St George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really nice

Stay in france, its nicer and the wine is cheaper, better climate and fantastic beaches and you are near home.

:
Old Feb 4th 2004, 2:38 am
Just Joined

Gerryr is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

If you want info about Christchurch or NZ you might be better looking at www.*****.co.nz or www.emigrate.org.nz

THis forum is good, but seems to be more dedicated to Australia (hardly surpisingnnas more people emigrate to OZ - they have so much more room)

Gerry
Old Feb 4th 2004, 8:27 am
Just Joined

mcfrance is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to you all for your kind information and advice, and the new websites which we're going to have a look at next!

Another question, we have 2 biggish dogs and a cat and have found out that to fly them to NZ will cost us a fortune. Does anyone know of any cheap ways of getting them there? We've been quoted up to 4,000 pounds!

Thanks.
Old Feb 4th 2004, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

Gerryr is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just read my own post and realised I gave the wrong website address. It should be
www.*****.co.uk
and www.emigratenz.org

Sorry about that - it was kind of late.

Regarding pets, there is extensive discussion on both of these boards. Having looked through it, it seems that the only way to get them to NZ economically is to make them walk.

Gerry