British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Info: Hotmail or Aussie equivalent for email (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/info-hotmail-aussie-equivalent-email-515519/)

Smith99 Feb 19th 2008 11:55 am

Info: Hotmail or Aussie equivalent for email

I'm technically incompetant when it comes to these things and actively resisting presssure to join Facebook, but can someone suggest somewhere I can register an email account so I can let everyone know my email before I go?

I would go with hotmail, but some places/things reject any hotmail addresses. I go in less than 2 weeks.

ice mocha Feb 19th 2008 12:22 pm

Re: Info: Hotmail or Aussie equivalent for email

Originally Posted by Smith99 (Post 5953599)
I'm technically incompetant when it comes to these things and actively resisting presssure to join Facebook, but can someone suggest somewhere I can register an email account so I can let everyone know my email before I go?

I would go with hotmail, but some places/things reject any hotmail addresses. I go in less than 2 weeks.

googlemail? yahoo?

nickUK Feb 19th 2008 12:38 pm

If you want an email address with an aussie feel then yahoo7.com.au and ninemsn.com.au/live.com.au are the two main ones. All the internationally known ones like Hotmail.com, gmail.com, etc are all just as accessible so its up to you.

glennmatchett Feb 19th 2008 1:01 pm

you would have had to have had an email account to log on to this forum just use that one if all your contacts know it, unless it is a work one, in that case your work is more openminded about email use than mine

Katherined0 Feb 19th 2008 7:32 pm

Go to www.gmail.com and register for a new account. You can also fairly easily download all your contacts from hotmail and other accounts which helps.

worzel Feb 19th 2008 10:46 pm

Hotmail is global. There are alternatives - I have gmail and much prefer it.

moneypenny20 Feb 19th 2008 10:48 pm

I've never found anyone that rejected Hotmail :confused: but if you don't want one of those then go gmail.

atwoodclan Feb 20th 2008 2:41 am

I agree with some of the others. Gmail is wonderful and easier to use than hotmail for me. I also more spam on hotmail. Who knows why?

I have both and don't like the new hotmail layout. It is hard to find emails:rolleyes:

augigi Feb 20th 2008 1:08 pm

Another vote for gmail. It rocks.

MarkMC Feb 20th 2008 3:46 pm

gmail everytime for my mail email account.

I still have an old hotmail account from 1995, it gets hammered with spam, but I keep it for that reason, I use it to sign up to websites where I dont want contact from them. I also use it for facebook, as I seem to get loads of mails from superwall/funwall/groups/etc/etc....

asher Feb 20th 2008 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by MarkMC (Post 5959614)
gmail everytime for my mail email account.

I still have an old hotmail account from 1995, it gets hammered with spam, but I keep it for that reason, I use it to sign up to websites where I dont want contact from them. I also use it for facebook, as I seem to get loads of mails from superwall/funwall/groups/etc/etc....

snap

I rarely read my hotmail acct

why not just download your address book to a memory stick then e mail everyone your new addie when you are in Oz?

MarkandS Feb 20th 2008 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by asher (Post 5959630)
snap

I rarely read my hotmail acct

why not just download your address book to a memory stick then e mail everyone your new addie when you are in Oz?

You can also try inbox, www.inbox.com which is email with file storage etc.

Mark

EvannTel Feb 21st 2008 12:58 pm

Gmail is my choice and worked well during the transition.

Hotmail is not a good option for the reasons already given

cranston Feb 21st 2008 5:17 pm

gmail - simply the best.