Info - Here Goes.....

Wikiposts

Info - Here Goes.....

Old Feb 16th 2004, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

anthonykirby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Info - Here Goes.....

Well here goes ...

When we left the UK it was the most unbelievable feeling. Flying over HEathrow and knowing that it would be a long while until I was back. Well here we are 6 months later ... WOW.

Our original plan was to take 6 months off to recover from the rat race we left behind but I got a little worried about lack of funds so took a job in Real Estate (along with every one else on the Sunny Coast). Money was crap and I got treat like crap but perservered (one thing people who aint been here yet need to realise is that you wont be able to sit on the beach everday - it still costs money to live here!)

So we bought a new car - petrol is really cheap (around 30p litre) and then I crashed it! Not a bad crash though - just slid a bit in the rain. Thats the next point - the roads get slidy here when it rains with all the oil etc so BE CAREFUL!

Zoe has started a business making wedding stationary - obviously came in handy for ours! So if any of you guys are getting married ask for some samples off Zoe. Very good prices! (SHameless plug)

I have now left my Real Estate job (last friday) and have gone into sales. Much better money and less hassle. The pay covers heaps of living expenses and the great thing about Oz is you dont have to pay to enjoy life. One thing I learnt is that you got to take time to relax. I often sit on the beach watching the waves and thinking about things - also. Dont be scared to admit your wrong, there ARE huge differences between here and UK but in my opinion they are all POSITIVE. Just think positive and you will think the same!

If you are up for a bit of work then there are heaps of opportunities here. ITs the people who demand high pay and big houses that sometimes come onto the forum saying there are no jobs etc (Pommie Bastard!!) but I would sweep the roads if I had to! Think of the positives (sweeping the roads means you get the outdoors all day!!!).

We are still not speaking to my mum, she demanded that we not contact her after telling us she was saving for a plane ticket! Strange but I got better things to be getting on with than dropping to her level.

Also - if you moving to QLD DITCH THE JUMPERS. ITs hot here - even when its cool its humid so feels sticky. I had 5 cold showers yesterday - did not imagine that ther could be so much sweat coming out of me (Another tip - drink heaps of water)

We will be on BBC get a new life incase any of you want to watch it. It follows us moving house, winning a DJ competition in Brisbane, my OLD work, me cooking my first BBQ!

Well- look forward to the replies. Please feel free to email me [email protected] if you want to ask anything.

Anthony
Old Feb 16th 2004, 9:39 am
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

What a fantastic post - glad you are loving it and bringing such a positive attitude to the forum- I hope I can follow your example when I get out to NZ.
Old Feb 16th 2004, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Olive101 will become famous soon enough

Sounds like things are shaping up well for you.
Congratulations

When are you on The Beeb do you think?
Old Feb 16th 2004, 9:44 am
Banned

userjay will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Info - Here Goes.....

Originally posted by anthonykirby
Well here goes ...

When we left the UK it was the most unbelievable feeling. Flying over HEathrow and knowing that it would be a long while until I was back. Well here we are 6 months later ... WOW.

Our original plan was to take 6 months off to recover from the rat race we left behind but I got a little worried about lack of funds so took a job in Real Estate (along with every one else on the Sunny Coast). Money was crap and I got treat like crap but perservered (one thing people who aint been here yet need to realise is that you wont be able to sit on the beach everday - it still costs money to live here!)

So we bought a new car - petrol is really cheap (around 30p litre) and then I crashed it! Not a bad crash though - just slid a bit in the rain. Thats the next point - the roads get slidy here when it rains with all the oil etc so BE CAREFUL!

Zoe has started a business making wedding stationary - obviously came in handy for ours! So if any of you guys are getting married ask for some samples off Zoe. Very good prices! (SHameless plug)

I have now left my Real Estate job (last friday) and have gone into sales. Much better money and less hassle. The pay covers heaps of living expenses and the great thing about Oz is you dont have to pay to enjoy life. One thing I learnt is that you got to take time to relax. I often sit on the beach watching the waves and thinking about things - also. Dont be scared to admit your wrong, there ARE huge differences between here and UK but in my opinion they are all POSITIVE. Just think positive and you will think the same!

If you are up for a bit of work then there are heaps of opportunities here. ITs the people who demand high pay and big houses that sometimes come onto the forum saying there are no jobs etc (Pommie Bastard!!) but I would sweep the roads if I had to! Think of the positives (sweeping the roads means you get the outdoors all day!!!).

We are still not speaking to my mum, she demanded that we not contact her after telling us she was saving for a plane ticket! Strange but I got better things to be getting on with than dropping to her level.

Also - if you moving to QLD DITCH THE JUMPERS. ITs hot here - even when its cool its humid so feels sticky. I had 5 cold showers yesterday - did not imagine that ther could be so much sweat coming out of me (Another tip - drink heaps of water)

We will be on BBC get a new life incase any of you want to watch it. It follows us moving house, winning a DJ competition in Brisbane, my OLD work, me cooking my first BBQ!

Well- look forward to the replies. Please feel free to email me [email protected] if you want to ask anything.

Anthony
good man i like your attitude,pity about mum,but thats not your fault.i allso would move a pile of sand with a fork if it ment keeping our heads above water,wats your plan then regarding long term income?
Old Feb 16th 2004, 9:44 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

When u gona be on the telly then? will look out for it

We are hoping to go to QLD somewhere...will depend on where hubby gets a job!!!

Just waiting on our visa coming through....just paid the bond last week

Oh btw if u get an empty e-mail....just ignore lol its was me :s sorry
Old Feb 16th 2004, 9:54 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Great post, great attitude.

I wish you all the best

Will look out for you on the tele.

What do you look like
Old Feb 16th 2004, 10:03 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

still think u2 look like the 80s band DOLLAR !
Old Feb 16th 2004, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Olive101 will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Timber Floor Au
still think u2 look like the 80s band DOLLAR !
What? Bono looks nothing like Dollar?!
Old Feb 16th 2004, 10:43 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice post. Noosa seems like a fantastic area to set up business. Did you see the SBS program "she'll be alright boss" regarding the new business setups in Noosa?

Basically they were talking about small business with a global clientele. Modern comms means their geographic location is unlimited. Sounds like your Zoe could do very well up there.

As you say you have to be positive when job hunting and setting up a new life.

All I can say with your mum is try to leave the door slightly ajar. Read Bundy's post for some perspective. It is a horrible situation but people change.
Old Feb 16th 2004, 10:57 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Olive101
What? Bono looks nothing like Dollar?!

oh ur a KWIK one aint ya we gonna have to watch u !
Old Feb 16th 2004, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all
Default Re: Info - Here Goes.....

Hi Anthony

Nice to hear from you after so long. Glad to hear that you are getting on Ok and I hope that all goes well with Zoe's new venture.

Sorry to hear about your mum, I hope that she will see sense in the end.

regards
debs
Old Feb 16th 2004, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

Great to hear your news & sounds like things are working out for you guys - mind you I think you are the type of people that will make a go of it anywhere.

Let us know when the program is on the Beeb

Cheers

pockygoes
Old Feb 16th 2004, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

bazfer is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for that post. we are heading to Townsville in just under 8 weeks. :scared:
so good to read a positive post.
good luck with the business.
Old Feb 16th 2004, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Hooray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!......good for you guys. Don't let anyone rain on your parade!!
Old Feb 16th 2004, 10:07 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Great to hear that you are settling well in OZ. Read your post and it is good to see someone knocking the knockers. A tip on the tyres, try, to avoid the cheap budget tyres. Might have a cheap price but as I have also found they can sometimes let you down. I've run Goodyear EagleII's for years, great wear and great grip when you need it.

Oh, by the way, DON'T DITCH THE JUMPERS, as it does get quite cold here in Qld, even on the coast, especially when southwesterlies blow. Further inland, in the mountains, even in the middle of summer it sometimes even SNOWS!! Temps in Brisbane can get down to single digits and in Ipswich/Amberley into the minuses.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.