Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

info on gold coast places to stay

info on gold coast places to stay

Old May 8th 2008, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

truditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nice
Default info on gold coast places to stay

Hi,

Hope that you guys can assist. We are planning a trip to the Gold Coast in Oct/Nov, (me, hubby, and two children 9 & 6 from the UK and going to meet up with in-laws - who live in NZ). We are looking at various areas to stay, and was just after some thoughts/opinions on the various areas. We are looking at renting an apartment so that we can all stay together, but have found various places and I am more confused than a little. Places we have looked at are the usual suspects, Coolangatta/Broadbeach/Currumbin/Burleigh Heads. The rental places all look really good, have also looked at renting a house around the canal areas of Broadbeach. So any useful info would be much appreciated. The brochures dont tell you much about the areas, things like are they good places to wander in the evenings etc., We will have a car rented so getting around isnt an issue. Thanks in advance.
Old May 8th 2008, 9:56 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: info on gold coast places to stay

Originally Posted by truditjh View Post
Hi,

Hope that you guys can assist. We are planning a trip to the Gold Coast in Oct/Nov, (me, hubby, and two children 9 & 6 from the UK and going to meet up with in-laws - who live in NZ). We are looking at various areas to stay, and was just after some thoughts/opinions on the various areas. We are looking at renting an apartment so that we can all stay together, but have found various places and I am more confused than a little. Places we have looked at are the usual suspects, Coolangatta/Broadbeach/Currumbin/Burleigh Heads. The rental places all look really good, have also looked at renting a house around the canal areas of Broadbeach. So any useful info would be much appreciated. The brochures dont tell you much about the areas, things like are they good places to wander in the evenings etc., We will have a car rented so getting around isnt an issue. Thanks in advance.
Can you try another time as it is almost impossible to get any accommodation anywhere in the area in Oct/Nov due to the Indy 300 race and nearly a month of Schoolies? Also rents are through the roof during this time.

http://www.goldcoastinformation.com....dMDbVgQ#mapdiv

Last edited by The Bloke; May 8th 2008 at 9:59 pm.
Old May 9th 2008, 12:27 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

www.sanctuarybeach.com.au

I used to live there email Chris and see what he has there are private rentals from owners and the resort has rooms, if you go to the web-site and do a virtual tour you will see they are nice.
The sufline bus runs just outside and its opposite Currumbin wildlife sanctuary,and a bus ride from Surfers or head the other way and your in Coolangatta.
Old May 9th 2008, 4:07 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You're unlikely to get anything around Broadbeach or possibly even Burleigh because of the aforementioned Indy and Schoolies. You should be able to find availability in Currumbin and Cooly and it's a much nicer part of the coast anyway. Across the road from Sanctuary Beach is Sanctuary Lake Apartments http://www.sanctuarylake.com/index.php which are run by the parents of my daughter's best mate. The complex backs onto Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary and it's a lovely place.
Old May 9th 2008, 6:26 am
BE Enthusiast

doub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by moneypen20 View Post
You're unlikely to get anything around Broadbeach or possibly even Burleigh because of the aforementioned Indy and Schoolies. You should be able to find availability in Currumbin and Cooly and it's a much nicer part of the coast anyway. Across the road from Sanctuary Beach is Sanctuary Lake Apartments http://www.sanctuarylake.com/index.php which are run by the parents of my daughter's best mate. The complex backs onto Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary and it's a lovely place.
Not always the case Moneypen, some apartment owners like us love our places and want neither Schoolies or Indy Hoons stay - we put the prices up to discourage them not to profiteer! I would much rather have an expat family at half the price ..... !
Old May 9th 2008, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

truditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nice

Originally Posted by doub View Post
Not always the case Moneypen, some apartment owners like us love our places and want neither Schoolies or Indy Hoons stay - we put the prices up to discourage them not to profiteer! I would much rather have an expat family at half the price ..... !

Thats a lovely looking place, but we need a 3 bed, dont fancy sharing with the in-laws !!!

Thanks for all your info, and any more is greatly appreciated, we are looking at arriving just as the Indy has finished, around the 27th Oct, and leaving mid Nov - if we can bring ourselves too, who knows may even end up there, that was my one regret from when we lived in NZ, never coming across the lake to Aus, but money was to tight to mention there so, had to wait a few years to do it, but really looking forward to it..
Old May 9th 2008, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Poppy girl View Post
www.sanctuarybeach.com.au

I used to live there email Chris and see what he has there are private rentals from owners and the resort has rooms, if you go to the web-site and do a virtual tour you will see they are nice.
The sufline bus runs just outside and its opposite Currumbin wildlife sanctuary,and a bus ride from Surfers or head the other way and your in Coolangatta.
Thanks, have emailed and received a very prompt reply, looking towards something like that for sure, would rather that than a high rise, after all if the kids are happy (or out with the in-laws!!!) then so am I. Certainly looks an amazing place, getting quite excited, hehe
Old May 9th 2008, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Bloke View Post
Can you try another time as it is almost impossible to get any accommodation anywhere in the area in Oct/Nov due to the Indy 300 race and nearly a month of Schoolies? Also rents are through the roof during this time.

http://www.goldcoastinformation.com....dMDbVgQ#mapdiv

Being a pommy div, do you mean that Schoolies are when the schools are broken up and the kids all tend to holiday then ???
Old May 9th 2008, 7:48 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Being a pommy div, do you mean that Schoolies are when the schools are broken up and the kids all tend to holiday then ???
Schoolies is a two/three week period when year 12 leavers have a holiday/party etc etc. Surfers is one of the towns that hold the events around the country so one week there is a huge influx of 17ish year olds descending from NSW, the following week it's the QLD kids and sometimes there's another week of other odds and sods. The town devotes itself to entertaining the kids and it's not the place to go in the afternoons/evenings if you don't want to be overrun with hormonal teenagers. Mornings are generally ok, the kids are still asleep

Some people get very 'adult' about the event but it's well organised and lots of adult help for them. Personally I think it's a fairly good idea but I think I'm possibly a lone voice.
Old May 9th 2008, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

Schoolies is a two/three week period when year 12 leavers have a holiday/party etc etc. Surfers is one of the towns that hold the events around the country so one week there is a huge influx of 17ish year olds descending from NSW, the following week it's the QLD kids and sometimes there's another week of other odds and sods. The town devotes itself to entertaining the kids and it's not the place to go in the afternoons/evenings if you don't want to be overrun with hormonal teenagers. Mornings are generally ok, the kids are still asleep

Some people get very 'adult' about the event but it's well organised and lots of adult help for them. Personally I think it's a fairly good idea but I think I'm possibly a lone voice.
oic, does it tend to follow straight on from the Indy or is it later in Nov ?? we are looking at the end Oct - after the Indy - to around the 13th Nov. Is it just surfers they descend on, or do places like Coolangatta/Broadbeach come into it to ??
Old May 9th 2008, 8:16 am
Crazy Cat Lady

This year it's the 16 - 25th November. It's only Surfers. Some people may find accommodation in Broadbeach/Southport but they don't go further than that. Need to be within walking distance of Cavill Ave in the heart of Surfers.

They never get down as far as Burleigh and beyond - might as well be the moon They do get discount tickets to the theme parks though but they don't go in their hoards and those that are there generally behave themselves - if you didn't know it was Schoolies you'd just think there were lots of groups there - still lots less than during the summer holidays.
Old May 9th 2008, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

This year it's the 16 - 25th November. It's only Surfers. Some people may find accommodation in Broadbeach/Southport but they don't go further than that. Need to be within walking distance of Cavill Ave in the heart of Surfers.

They never get down as far as Burleigh and beyond - might as well be the moon They do get discount tickets to the theme parks though but they don't go in their hoards and those that are there generally behave themselves - if you didn't know it was Schoolies you'd just think there were lots of groups there - still lots less than during the summer holidays.
Thanks moneypen for your valuable info, I think the dates we are looking at seems to just miss everything , its difficult as hubby is self employed here in the UK, and need to work around a contract he has, plus the children have a weeks school holiday in the midst of that so they will only miss two weeks schooling, which over here they frown heavily upon if its any longer !! Just gotta tie everything in with the in-laws as well.... aaaaaaargh, but should be fun. I have vowed to avoid Wigglesworld tho, when we were in NZ my daughter was 2, so she was a prime target for everything Wiggly.... think I had enuff of that to last a life time, I still hear toot toot chugga chugga in the depths of my mind occasionally........

Thanks again, expats is a great site, I think had I had it/known about it when we were in NZ things wouldnt have been as hard, but oh well not to be.
Kind Regards
Old May 9th 2008, 1:26 pm
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

I personally wouldnt stay any further down than Robina,which is lovely,as i feel i have great access to everywhere on the coast.
Broadbeach is great too, and has some beautiful restraunts as well as being handy for Surfers Paradise and the Theme parks are all closeby too.
Staying in central Gold Coast gives you equal access to all areas,north and south.Currumbin Park is nice and so is Tambourine Mounain,if your looking for places to visit.
Old May 9th 2008, 1:50 pm
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

we stayed in Surfers itstelf...but on the edge of it t'was a 5 min walk or so (if i remember rightly Pen)

It was a place called president appartments

hang on will find web site for you

http://www.presidentapartments.com.a...ents/index.htm

hope that works