Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Info. on areas in SA and Vic

Info. on areas in SA and Vic

Old Jul 14th 2004, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

dottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud of
Default Info. on areas in SA and Vic

It would be really helpful if anyone has any further info. on Vic and SA - family friendly places, places to avoid etc. We have 3 kids, aged between 10 and 8mnths.
Old Jul 14th 2004, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Info. on areas in SA and Vic

Originally posted by dottyspots
It would be really helpful if anyone has any further info. on Vic and SA - family friendly places, places to avoid etc. We have 3 kids, aged between 10 and 8mnths.
Hi DS
Do you mean to live or to visit/holiday? SA is about 6x the size of England, and Vic almost twice the size of England, so they're pretty big places!!

I'm sure people here can give you advice if you can add a bit more about the type of place you are looking for.

HP
Old Jul 14th 2004, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

dottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud of

Yep I was vague! I know they're big places.

We were looking at around Ballarat or Bendigo (plus inbetweens) as poss. in Victoria - and not really sure in SA, outside of Adelaide. Such big areas it's really hard to have a good look, hence the request for pointers in an attempt to narrow it down a bit

I can't drive, so would need to be somewhere with some public transport.

Nikki.x.

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Hi DS
Do you mean to live or to visit/holiday? SA is about 6x the size of England, and Vic almost twice the size of England, so they're pretty big places!!

I'm sure people here can give you advice if you can add a bit more about the type of place you are looking for.

HP
Old Jul 14th 2004, 11:02 pm
wombat42

We were looking at around Ballarat or Bendigo (plus inbetweens) as poss. in Victoria - and not really sure in SA, outside of Adelaide. Such big areas it's really hard to have a good look, hence the request for pointers in an attempt to narrow it down a bit

Nikki.x.
If you move to SA, move to Adelaide only, all the other places in the rest of the state are pity much in the middle of no where.
Ballarat and Bendigo are nice places but l would choose Ballarat
because it is close to Melbourne and because house prices in Melbourne have gone up so much, house prices in places close to Melbourne such as Ballarat and starting to go up, so buying a house in Ballarat would be a good investment. l think they are
also building a fast train to Melbourne. There are more employment opportunities in Ballarat and many people live in Ballarat and work in Melbourne. Also Ballarat is closer to the coast
if you want to go swimming in summer.

Old Jul 14th 2004, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

SA is huge! Both states look like good places to go to (aside from the regular problems you get everywhere) - so it's a toughie - but then we have plenty of time, no doubt, as TRA forms only went a couple of weeks ago. We're going for STNI, but were looking to go to either of these states before they put the points up (we did pass, then we didn't )

I look on the real estate sites and dream I'd love somewhere the kids could have a bedroom each (we have 3), especially as the boys get older (they're pretty keen to).

Nikki.x.

Originally posted by wombat42
If you move to SA, move to Adelaide only, all the other places in the rest of the state are pity much in the middle of no where.
Ballarat and Bendigo are nice places but l would choose Ballarat
because it is close to Melbourne and because house prices in Melbourne have gone up so much, house prices in places close to Melbourne such as Ballarat and starting to go up, so buying a house in Ballarat would be a good investment. l think they are
also building a fast train to Melbourne. There are more employment opportunities in Ballarat and many people live in Ballarat and work in Melbourne. Also Ballarat is closer to the coast
if you want to go swimming in summer.
Old Jul 14th 2004, 11:19 pm
wombat42

SA is huge! Both states look like good places to go to (aside from the regular problems you get everywhere) - so it's a toughie - but then we have plenty of time, no doubt, as TRA forms only went a couple of weeks ago. We're going for STNI, but were looking to go to either of these states before they put the points up (we did pass, then we didn't )

I look on the real estate sites and dream I'd love somewhere the kids could have a bedroom each (we have 3), especially as the boys get older (they're pretty keen to).

Nikki.x.
l think you can get a good 4 bedroom house in Ballarat for around $250,000.

Old Jul 15th 2004, 12:01 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Nikki.x.

Ahhhh...now I can help you out with anything you want to know about Bendigo!! I have lived there...and will be returning there at the end of September....

Its a wonderful place to bring up a family...its got just about all you could need on a day to day basis....yet its still close enough to Melbourne to go for a day-trip shopping...

Housing is quite well priced...there is alot to do....there is a good choice of schools....

If there is anything more specific you want to know...just ask away!!

Hels
Old Jul 15th 2004, 12:06 am
Account Closed

Oh...and did I mention.....

Bendigo has more Pubs per capita than anywhere else in Oz???

Old Jul 15th 2004, 6:04 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

What do you do for a living? Will you be able to generate an income in a rural area?

In SA, the public transport is pretty bad compared to back home. In Adelaide it probably gets 5 out of 10 from me. Outside of Adelaide in SA.........its more a case of what public transport?

Mount Gambier is the second biggest town in SA, at 25k people. We have a bus network consisting of about 5 busses that don't really go anywhere useful. They are a waste of time, and if you watch them they always seem to run empty!! Its a great town though....but would be hard to live in without a car.
Old Jul 15th 2004, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

That's what I was thinking. My mum's farm is pretty rural (not in Oz) with around 3 or 4 buses a day (about a 1/2 hr/40 min. walk to the bus stop mind!) And I remember the frustration, as a teen, of no buses after 5pm in the village we used to live in.

My husband drives, I just never got round to it (I really *should* learn), but we live on the outskirts of a city at the moment, with such good public transport, a second car would be a waste of money.

My husband is a self-employed plasterer (although he is also a very good painter & decorator and general handy-man). We're not looking to go particularly rural, more where there's a job

I'm guessing (esp. due to things like the Reg. Migration Program) that there is a difficulty in non-urban areas with sustaining population - but this is much the same in any rural area in any country, many of the young people leave for the city.

My mother runs a B&B and they have scaled down on the actual farming. Tourism is the order of the day where she lives and thankfully she has been rushed off her feet! I've booked to fly over in September and she's still very busy then.

Nikki.x.

Originally posted by PeteY
What do you do for a living? Will you be able to generate an income in a rural area?

In SA, the public transport is pretty bad compared to back home. In Adelaide it probably gets 5 out of 10 from me. Outside of Adelaide in SA.........its more a case of what public transport?

Mount Gambier is the second biggest town in SA, at 25k people. We have a bus network consisting of about 5 busses that don't really go anywhere useful. They are a waste of time, and if you watch them they always seem to run empty!! Its a great town though....but would be hard to live in without a car.

Last edited by dottyspots; Jul 15th 2004 at 11:10 am.
Old Jul 15th 2004, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Sounds good - but would have to offload the kids!

Originally posted by Hels
Oh...and did I mention.....

Bendigo has more Pubs per capita than anywhere else in Oz???

Old Jul 15th 2004, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

They do look like nice places, I've been reading a bit and there are newspapers online. I'm half scared to read too much though in case the TRA comes back negative (the idea of moving doesn't bother me in the slightest, after all, much of my family don't live in the UK anyway, but the idea of not getting in!)

Did your flight 'come' with the stopover in Florida - or did you have to book two separate flights to do that?

Nikki.x.

Ahhhh...now I can help you out with anything you want to know about Bendigo!! I have lived there...and will be returning there at the end of September....

Its a wonderful place to bring up a family...its got just about all you could need on a day to day basis....yet its still close enough to Melbourne to go for a day-trip shopping...

Housing is quite well priced...there is alot to do....there is a good choice of schools....

If there is anything more specific you want to know...just ask away!!

Hels
Old Jul 15th 2004, 6:47 pm
Account Closed

They do look like nice places, I've been reading a bit and there are newspapers online. I'm half scared to read too much though in case the TRA comes back negative (the idea of moving doesn't bother me in the slightest, after all, much of my family don't live in the UK anyway, but the idea of not getting in!)

Did your flight 'come' with the stopover in Florida - or did you have to book two separate flights to do that?

Nikki.x.

Hi Nikki...

We went to a travel agent...told them where we wanted to go and where we wanted to stop....and they gave us a price...we were totally surprised at how affordable it was....we only paid £525 per person for a flight from here to Florida then to Melbourne one way....not much more than some are paying for a direct flight to Oz....I was quite pleased That was with United.

I know we are still a little worried that things wont go our way with Pauls visa(spouse) but we are moving ahead with the expectation that it will be a positive outcome....I think I would go stir crazy if I thought I wasnt going home sooner, rather than later...

I am sure everything thing will go just the way you want it....but you have all the luck I can send you

Hels
Old Jul 15th 2004, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'm sure it'll be fine - they generally let spouses in surely!

You must be very excited to be going back home

Nikki.x.

Hi Nikki...

We went to a travel agent...told them where we wanted to go and where we wanted to stop....and they gave us a price...we were totally surprised at how affordable it was....we only paid £525 per person for a flight from here to Florida then to Melbourne one way....not much more than some are paying for a direct flight to Oz....I was quite pleased That was with United.

I know we are still a little worried that things wont go our way with Pauls visa(spouse) but we are moving ahead with the expectation that it will be a positive outcome....I think I would go stir crazy if I thought I wasnt going home sooner, rather than later...

I am sure everything thing will go just the way you want it....but you have all the luck I can send you

Hels
Old Jul 15th 2004, 7:41 pm
Account Closed

I'm sure it'll be fine - they generally let spouses in surely!

You must be very excited to be going back home

Nikki.x.

Its hard to put into words just HOW excited....I have been so ready to go home for over a year now....and its finally here!! So close I can taste it....

I have a niece and nephew and I have missed over half of their lives...so cant wait to go home and be Aunty again....