Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Info from Adelaide Proc Centre

Info from Adelaide Proc Centre

Old Nov 30th 2001, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

leeta is an unknown quantity at this point

I spoke to the Adelaide Skilled Processing Centre last night regarding my skilled migration application.

Good news for people applying under IT sector jobs, not me unfortunately. Apparently they have been 'inundated' with applications for skilled migration, the events of 11 September in the US will have no doubt contributed to this. They are giving priority to all IT applications. The 5 officers are getting through approx 6 applications per day each. They are not looking at non-IT until they have got through all the IT ones.

I asked approx how long it may take therefore for a non-IT application and they said that the 50 weeks stated was probably realistic but they could not be certain. I did not ask about IT, but presumably if the application was in order, much quicker than this.

I also asked about the recent letter that I had received regarding getting my University transcript sent directly from Durham Uni. They said that this letter should not have gone out to everybody as UK qualifiactions did not require this and that the certified copies were ok. I had still organised this transcript to go direct nonetheless. They said that applicants from countries such as England would be getting another letter saying that this direct sending was not required. Applicants from certain other countries would still, however need to do this.

Hope this helps

Lee
Old Nov 30th 2001, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

almey is an unknown quantity at this point

Surely if they are not looking at non-IT until all IT applications have been delt with, non-IT will never get looked at due to the fact each day more IT apllications are coming in and getting priority. I lodged in London Nov 2000 and feel the wait for many may be years not months.
Old Nov 30th 2001, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

It does seem rather annoying too that IT applications receive priority despite there being a world-wide slump - in the IT sector in particular - and a lack of jobs for these people in Australia, yet other more buoyant sector applicants are 'at the bottom of the pile'. The situation will no doubt arise with hundreds of IT applicants migrating but minimal jobs to absorb them and a shortage of skilled workers in other areas. Why is the Department of Migration so slow to adapt to current Australian economic conditions?

[Edited by leeta on Nov 30th 2001 at 11:41am]
Old Nov 30th 2001, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

I have just typed an email to Philip Ruddock MP for Immigration in Australia criticising the policy of fast-track IT processing, given the current economic climate. I am hoping it will help all of us non-IT applicants, but doubt it will make a difference. Fellow non-IT applicants who also have a lot to offer Australia, but think the current IT fast track to be unfair should do the same. The contact is given below.
Regards
Lee

http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/general/contacts.htm

Old Nov 30th 2001, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

Claire is an unknown quantity at this point

We too lodged our application in Nov 2000 to London and haven't heard a thing.

Maybe now new applications are lodged to Adelaide, London might get around to dealing with the other skilled applications? Any thoughts?
Old Dec 1st 2001, 10:45 am
Jaj

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

The migration programme has a planning level for skilled categories of roughly
30,000. That's about 600 per week (although it's probably not even through the year).

>

The need to obtain a skills assessment in advance makes it rather unlikely that many
people who first thought of migrating post Sept 11 has got as far as sending an
application off to Adelaide.

>
    >

5 * 6 = 30 per day multiplied by 5 = 150 per week. Considering they must be getting
somewhere in the egion of four times that number just from normal levels alone, it's
no wonder they're 'innundated'!

>

Or until the Minister tells them otherwise.

Jeremy

Old Dec 1st 2001, 5:51 pm
Jez

It is up to the Aussie Government who they want, whether it be IT people, or any
other profession.

Do you think it is a good idea for a foreigner to critisize Australian
governmental policy?

Sure, it may not seem fair to us, but then we do not decide on the rules. If we do
not like the rules then we should not apply.

Incidentally how is it known there is a slump in IT, and if so which sector of IT? Is
there any proof of this? Where is the quantitative data / objective proof that shows
this to be the case? certainly the press have reported about a number of companies
have laid off people who work within "IT" but I have not seen anyone report what
percentage of the world workforce this is. If you look in the UK computer press
(computer weekly / computing) it is amazing how many times you see on one page doom
and gloom and on the other page all joy and prosperity. Apologies to anyone who has
been made redundant as this may not seem very sensitive, but I hope you see my
point... there is no real proof.

Jez

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Dec 1st 2001, 10:56 pm
Hobbit

it makes me laugh that computer technicians and tech support bods like me are 40
points on the skills list !!! and yet we keep everyone else going !!

if i'd been a bricklayer...

hobb

>
or
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
If
    >
    >
    >
sector
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
see
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > I have just typed an email to Philip Ruddock MP for Immigration in Australia[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > criticising the policy of fast-track IT processing, given the current economic[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > climate. I am hoping it will help all of us non-IT applicants, but doubt it will[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > make a difference. Fellow non-IT applicants who also have a lot to offer[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Australia, but think the current IT fast track to be unfair should do the same.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Regards Lee[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > --[/usenetquote2]

Old Dec 2nd 2001, 12:33 am
Jez

Why don't you retrain to be a bricky? At least you wouldn't have to update your
skills so often.

>
    >
!!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > It is up to the Aussie Government who they want, whether it be IT[/usenetquote2]
people,
    >
[usenetquote2]> > any other profession.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Do you think it is a good idea for a foreigner to critisize Australian[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > governmental policy?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Sure, it may not seem fair to us, but then we do not decide on the[/usenetquote2]
rules.
    >
[usenetquote2]> > we do not like the rules then we should not apply.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Incidentally how is it known there is a slump in IT, and if so which[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > of IT? Is there any proof of this? Where is the quantitative data / objective[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > proof that shows this to be the case? certainly the press have reported about a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > number of companies have laid off people who work[/usenetquote2]
within
[usenetquote2]> > "IT" but I have not seen anyone report what percentage of the world workforce[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > this is. If you look in the UK computer press (computer weekly[/usenetquote2]
/
[usenetquote2]> > computing) it is amazing how many times you see on one page doom and[/usenetquote2]
gloom
[usenetquote2]> > and on the other page all joy and prosperity. Apologies to anyone who[/usenetquote2]
has
[usenetquote2]> > been made redundant as this may not seem very sensitive, but I hope you[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > my point... there is no real proof.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Jez[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > I have just typed an email to Philip Ruddock MP for Immigration in Australia[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > criticising the policy of fast-track IT processing, given[/usenetquote2]
the
[usenetquote2]> > > current economic climate. I am hoping it will help all of us non-IT applicants,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > but doubt it will make a difference. Fellow non-IT applicants who also have a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > lot to offer Australia, but think the[/usenetquote2]
current
[usenetquote2]> > > IT fast track to be unfair should do the same. Regards Lee[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > --[/usenetquote2]

Old Dec 3rd 2001, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

Jez,

I take it that you are employed in the IT sector. IT is not a 'profession' either. Professions are professional jobs such as doctors, lawyers and accountants.
Proof of slump in the IT sector: Read the daily newspapers. Daily evidence of job cuts, recruitment freezes etc in IT companies and IT divisions of companies - see below. Also I suggest you ahve a look at a number of the employment agency web-sites and see how few IT jobs there are in Australia.

Simply because I do not agree with the current Australian policy on IT Fast Tracking does not mean that I should not apply for migration.

I merely suggested that the current Department of Migration Fast Track Policy was introduced some time ago and is currently not as relevant as it was previously. The government is slow to react to a changing economic climate for migration.

It does not concern me too much Jez, I find it rather annoying that the Fast Track is still in place but at least I can guarantee that when my visa is granted there will be jobs available for me in Australia, I doubt this will be the case for many in IT !

IT hits the wall

By Brad Howarth

The global information technology sector is in a mess. As companies have cut their technology budgets, hardware and software suppliers have been hit by falling revenue and huge losses. Most have spent the past six months sacking staff and reducing other costs. The information technology (IT) industry in Australia has not been spared - between 6000 and 10,000 people have been retrenched this year out of a total industry workforce of about 200,000.

Hard times

The information technology sector hits hard times:

Most companies are experiencing falling revenue and rising losses.
6000-10,000 retrenchments in the Australian IT sector so far this year.
A worst-case forecast for growth in the Australian IT industry this year of 2.9%, down from 10.1% in 2000.
Most large Australian companies have cut or deferred their IT spending.
Capital spending by Australasian telecommunications companies has declined 17% this year, from $6 billion to $5 billion.

Source: Australia's BRW Thursday, November 29, 2001.

[Edited by leeta on Dec 3rd 2001 at 6:48am]