Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Info on adelaide

Info on adelaide

Old Jan 15th 2008, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

thehowarths will become famous soon enoughthehowarths will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Info on adelaide

we are looking to rent after the first month (first month being our 'holiday' which might be either a luxury house with great pool and balcony near a beach etc... or a campervan!) but are planning to take at least one of our dogs with us so we'll be limited. OH wants to buy a big plot of land and build me a house - which will probably result in me living on a building site for a good couple of years so if i at least get the location right then it won't be all bad!!!

Just one question though (and sorry if its been asked before - he he ) - where can we search for rental properties and specify a pool and pets allowed. Any secret amazing property websites around - i've exhausted realestate.com.au....?

Wendy - your website re. adelaide suburbs is great - spot on for what we want to know.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 9:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thehowarths
we are looking to rent after the first month (first month being our 'holiday' which might be either a luxury house with great pool and balcony near a beach etc... or a campervan!) but are planning to take at least one of our dogs with us so we'll be limited. OH wants to buy a big plot of land and build me a house - which will probably result in me living on a building site for a good couple of years so if i at least get the location right then it won't be all bad!!!

Just one question though (and sorry if its been asked before - he he ) - where can we search for rental properties and specify a pool and pets allowed. Any secret amazing property websites around - i've exhausted realestate.com.au....?

Wendy - your website re. adelaide suburbs is great - spot on for what we want to know.
If you tell the agents that it's an outside dog, you'll be fine Most Aussies have a dog, so it's nothing new to most landlords.

I don't know of any sites that let you search for a pool, but there is www.domain.com.au

Glad you like my suburb list, makes it worthwhile
Old Jan 15th 2008, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

Devonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really nice

I reckon we'll be either delivering bottles of Champagne & Chocs to Wendys doorstep when we get there - or inviting her to a bbq to say "Thanks for All your Invaluable help"!

Wendy - you are one really great person you know! Yep I know we all just liase through this forum - but nothing is ever a hassle for you - you just seem to jump up and come to everyones aide with loads and loads of info and very good advice!

I have to say "Thank you so much" from us as a Family
Old Jan 15th 2008, 10:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Devonfamily
I reckon we'll be either delivering bottles of Champagne & Chocs to Wendys doorstep when we get there - or inviting her to a bbq to say "Thanks for All your Invaluable help"!

Wendy - you are one really great person you know! Yep I know we all just liase through this forum - but nothing is ever a hassle for you - you just seem to jump up and come to everyones aide with loads and loads of info and very good advice!

No problem, I know where to look for stuff so it's pretty easy.

Now stop it you're making me blush
Old Jan 15th 2008, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

sparkeygirl will become famous soon enough

Check out this website - it is excellent.

http://www.adelaide-brits.com/forum/...bb7b854eb3612d

If you go into the reading room and archives gves a rundown of most suburbs.

http://z2.invisionfree.com/Adelaideb...?showforum=208

Old Jan 16th 2008, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Wendy is really lovely in person too, & you can always rely on her for decent advise, sadly you do get people who come on the BE, & say this question has been asked before, click on search, it might have been asked 1 million times before, but it wasn’t asked by you, so when you are new, you don’t know, so my suggestion to you newbie's is, please don’t get intimidated by people who don’t want to help you here, there are loads who will help you with your questions, because we all have been in the same positions as you are right now before we did the move, sadly some us forget it very quickly.
As I always say if you dont have anything nice to say dont say anything at all.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 11:16 pm
Just Joined

pozzie1 is just really nicepozzie1 is just really nicepozzie1 is just really nicepozzie1 is just really nicepozzie1 is just really nicepozzie1 is just really nicepozzie1 is just really nicepozzie1 is just really nice

Sham

As I'm sure you can see - there are always New members (as are my Family & I) and we are all new to this - so obviously it's a whole new world for us! So naturally all of us are going to be asking these questions.

Where you not once in the same boat as us?

It is not done to irritate you - it's a matter of we are all just trying to find out about life in Australia - and just doing our research. Thought thats what these forums where for - for people to find out info about Immigrating?!?

Sorry our questions/posts irritate you

NB* Wendy - Tx so much for all the friendly advice you have given us on the different threads/questions we have posted

Hi there Devon Family

I will be more than happy to help you as I too live in one of those 3 areas you have been looking at i dont post that often on here for various reasons too there are certain people who post who i find rather rude and annoying..............but anyway I have been here just over 2 years now and life really is fantastic overe here but like you said we were all newbies once! I would be more than happy to help answer any questions you might have.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 10:38 pm

mary1967 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sham Williams
Well said Mrs G, driving me nuts people keep asking the SAME question time and time again!! If you put Adelaide in the search all the threads will come up and will save us answering the same questions over and over and over!!

Right rant over off to bed!!
Peoples lack of patience also drive me nuts - i agree there's loads of information out there but sometimes the amount of information is positively overwhelming and, as most of it's based on personal opinion, i don't think people can be blamed for asking for different views. If you're fed up reading it, then don't bother; I see you're already settled in Adelaide, enough said
Old Jan 19th 2008, 10:39 pm

mary1967 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
Wendy is really lovely in person too, & you can always rely on her for decent advise, sadly you do get people who come on the BE, & say this question has been asked before, click on search, it might have been asked 1 million times before, but it wasn’t asked by you, so when you are new, you don’t know, so my suggestion to you newbie's is, please don’t get intimidated by people who don’t want to help you here, there are loads who will help you with your questions, because we all have been in the same positions as you are right now before we did the move, sadly some us forget it very quickly.
As I always say if you dont have anything nice to say dont say anything at all.

Here, here!
Old Jan 19th 2008, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

Devonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really nice

Hi All,

Thats one thing I have noticed on this forum is that there are so many friendly and helpful people on here - which totally outweighs the odd person that is negative.

Stumlbing across this BE Forum has been brilliant for us as a family and we have found out absolutely loads of information already about immigrating to Adelaide - thanks to the really friendly people on here. Wendy has been great along with loads of other people (sorry I have got a memory like a sieve - so can't remember all the screen names). But Dave & I are very grateful for the help we have had from here.

We were referred to Immigration Agents in London 2 days ago - who put us in touch with an Independant Immigration Advisor - who is originally from Australia. He phoned us back this afternoon - as was very positive about our prospects. He will be phoning us back probably Monday with some more info ref my OH's Career and the points systems (he's a "Procurement Manager" in the Aerospace Industry). He reckons there are very good prospects for OH (Career wise) in Adelaide as there is a huge demand for his skills as per the CIPSA in Aussie.

Well once again tx to all you friendly folk on here who have come to our help as a family and for all the invaluable info you'v given us. It is so nice to know there are still such friendly and kind people in this world!

nite nite

Last edited by Devonfamily; Jan 19th 2008 at 11:26 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Lordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud of

Hi Zedlee,

welcome to the forum!! There are some real nice parts to Adelaide but I think that you can't beat living in the Adelaide Hills. The scenery is stunning, schools are good, wineries everywhere, half an hour from the city, excellent place to raise a family, amazing wildlife, the locals are cool and house prices are realistic.

Here's a couple of links:

http://www.visitadelaidehills.com.au/home.asp

http://www.adhills.com.au/

http://www.adelaidehillswine.com.au/

http://www.southaustralia.com/AdelaideHills.aspx

Good luck,

Dave.