British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   info on Adelaide (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/info-adelaide-489364/)

Cant rain all the time Oct 24th 2007 7:51 pm

info on Adelaide

Hi all,

We are in the process of moving to Adelaide. My partner Darran has been offered a job with a company based there. Any information about the area would be much appreciated e.g. current housing market, cost of living, amenities and local schools. (we have a four year old daughter). We have trawled through many sites on the internet but obviously would really value any info from anyone currently living in Adelaide.

Thanks

Claire and Darran.

Katsmajics other half !!! Oct 24th 2007 8:43 pm

Re: info on Adelaide

Wendy is the person to speak to on here about Adelaide......also check out adelaidebrits.com and Adelaidebound they are both gr8 places to start.

Welcome to the forum too.

:thumbup:

Cant rain all the time Oct 24th 2007 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by Katsmajics other half !!! (Post 5463841)
Wendy is the person to speak to on here about Adelaide......also check out adelaidebrits.com and Adelaidebound they are both gr8 places to start.

Welcome to the forum too.

:thumbup:

Thanks for that. Will take a look at website.

Wendy Oct 24th 2007 10:25 pm

Hi Claire,

Whereabouts is your OH's work, that will help me narrow it down a little for you :D

Cant rain all the time Oct 24th 2007 10:38 pm

Hi Wendy,Thanks for the prompt reply.

The company my oh has a job with is in River St, Hindmarsh. Do you know this area at all ? Or surrounding areas ,schools, housing etc. I have also been reading about paralysis ticks which can kill your dog! Are they a big problem in Adelaide as we are planning on bringing our beloved Yorkshire Terrier Archie.

Thanks in advance,

Claire.

Wendy Oct 24th 2007 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by Cant rain all the time (Post 5464214)

The company my oh has a job with is in River St, Hindmarsh. Do you know this area at all ? Or surrounding areas ,schools, housing etc. I have also been reading about paralysis ticks which can kill your dog! Are they a big problem in Adelaide as we are planning on bringing our beloved Yorkshire Terrier Archie.

Thanks in advance,

Claire.

Yes, I know Hindmarsh but only slightly. It's very near to the city, so really you could live North, East, West or South and it would be commutable. I would think that house prices in Hindmarsh are a bit on the expensive side with it being close to the CBD (although don't quote me on that), so you'll probably get a bit more for your cash further out.

What is your preferences with regards to sea, hills etc?

tyke Oct 24th 2007 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by Cant rain all the time (Post 5464214)

Thanks in advance,

Claire.

I'll duck in here with Wendy;)

Hindmarsh is pretty central so you have a wide choice of suburbs to live in.Just depends how far you would want to commute.

I don't think the Paralysis ticks appear much if at all in Adelaide. I have 3 doggies and there have been no warnings here.

Wendy Oct 24th 2007 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by tyke (Post 5464262)
I'll duck in here with Wendy;)

Hindmarsh is pretty central so you have a wide choice of suburbs to live in.Just depends how far you would want to commute.

I don't think the Paralysis ticks appear much if at all in Adelaide. I have 3 doggies and there have been no warnings here.

Oh, forgot about the ticks :D

We haven't seen any either and we have two doggies who are outside most of the time (they like to sunbathe :blink::D)

Cant rain all the time Oct 24th 2007 11:15 pm

Hi,

Would prefer to be near to the sea if possible,costs of housing permitting.What is the average house price in this region?

Good to hear that ticks are not a major problem!

Thanks,
Claire.

tyke Oct 24th 2007 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by Cant rain all the time (Post 5464327)
Hi,

Would prefer to be near to the sea if possible,costs of housing permitting.What is the average house price in this region?

Good to hear that ticks are not a major problem!

Thanks,
Claire.

To be near the sea and city can be quite expensive,I'd certainly have a good nosey around in www.realestate.com.au ,also use www.wheris.com for maps / satellite pictures.

This should help narrow down suburbs.

I'm only familiar with the Southern suburbs( But not advocating them and starting a North/South war!)

So coming down from the city.
Brighton,Seacliff,Marino,Hallett Cove,Port Noarlunga,Moana,Seaford to Aldinga .

They are popular with Brit settlers.

It will ultimately depend upon your budget though.

Wendy Oct 25th 2007 6:01 am

Originally Posted by tyke (Post 5464363)
To be near the sea and city can be quite expensive,I'd certainly have a good nosey around in www.realestate.com.au ,also use www.wheris.com for maps / satellite pictures.

This should help narrow down suburbs.

I'm only familiar with the Southern suburbs( But not advocating them and starting a North/South war!)

So coming down from the city.
Brighton,Seacliff,Marino,Hallett Cove,Port Noarlunga,Moana,Seaford to Aldinga .

They are popular with Brit settlers.

It will ultimately depend upon your budget though.

I'm from the North, but I'd agree with them suburbs. Only others I'd consider up here to actually live in would be West Lakes (a bit on the expensive side though) and maybe Henley Beach.

Cant rain all the time Oct 25th 2007 7:24 am

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 5465011)
I'm from the North, but I'd agree with them suburbs. Only others I'd consider up here to actually live in would be West Lakes (a bit on the expensive side though) and maybe Henley Beach.

Thanks guys for your help on this one. Im sure i will have plenty more questions in the next few months. We are hoping to be gone by January. The company are paying for and arranging our rented accomodation for the first six weeks. They also said they would be on hand to offer help in finding a permanent address. In those six weeks we will tour around the suburbs you have mentioned above to find one suitable for our needs and budget. Will follow your advice in the meantime and just check the real estate for those areas for a general idea.

Wendy Oct 25th 2007 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Cant rain all the time (Post 5465166)
Thanks guys for your help on this one. Im sure i will have plenty more questions in the next few months. We are hoping to be gone by January. The company are paying for and arranging our rented accomodation for the first six weeks. They also said they would be on hand to offer help in finding a permanent address. In those six weeks we will tour around the suburbs you have mentioned above to find one suitable for our needs and budget. Will follow your advice in the meantime and just check the real estate for those areas for a general idea.

Six weeks is plenty of time to find something :)

dave99 Oct 25th 2007 9:54 am

Stay clear of Glenelg, it seems like a good fit, close to beach and city but its a nightmare to live there. I spent a year there 06-07 and didnt enjoy it at all, at night it was just way to noisey, theres a lot of bars and clubs there so lots of drunks on the streets and cars making noise in the middle of the night.

The northern suberbs are supposed to be the best places, thats what all the locals used to tell me

Cant rain all the time Oct 25th 2007 10:14 am

Originally Posted by dave99 (Post 5465737)
Stay clear of Glenelg, it seems like a good fit, close to beach and city but its a nightmare to live there. I spent a year there 06-07 and didnt enjoy it at all, at night it was just way to noisey, theres a lot of bars and clubs there so lots of drunks on the streets and cars making noise in the middle of the night.

The northern suberbs are supposed to be the best places, thats what all the locals used to tell me

Will bare that in mind. With a four year old we would prefer something quieter and more family orientated. Thanks for that. Sounds like a place to visit on a night out then, than a place to live.