Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ineed 5 more points Help !!

Ineed 5 more points Help !!

Old Jun 9th 2004, 10:36 am
Just Joined

janemr2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ineed 5 more points Help !!

I am a midwife wanting to emigrate to oz and I have just realised with the recent changes that I am now short of 5 points.I am working to a very short dead line as I am 45 in August. Has anyone any Ideas? I do have money I could put in ,has anyone done this? Should I try for a job offer? What about tempory visas? I would be gratefull for any ideas.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there if you fall 5 points short you could always invest $100,00
into a government bond for twelve months.Once the twelve months is up you get your investment back plus a little interest although I think its taxed.
Hope that helps,someone else on here may be able to give you more information there plenty on here that are experts and know loads of info.
Cheers Dreamaway
Old Jun 9th 2004, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Yes and welome to the site Jane.Where are you heading?
Old Jun 9th 2004, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

CK2B will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Dreamaway 10
Hi Jane and welcome to the site.
Lots on here have invested the $100,000 bond to gain the extra 5 points. Do a search on bonds for some recent threads.

Have you already had your skills assessment done? If not I suggest you get this submitted very quickly if you need to get your main application in before August. At the moment it seems some of the assessment bodies are taking a good 3 months to come back with replies so you may need to act fast!! At least you have a profession that's in demand.

Best of luck
CK
Old Jun 9th 2004, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Innyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud of

Originally posted by CK2B
Hi Jane and welcome to the site.
Lots on here have invested the $100,000 bond to gain the extra 5 points. Do a search on bonds for some recent threads.

Have you already had your skills assessment done? If not I suggest you get this submitted very quickly if you need to get your main application in before August. At the moment it seems some of the assessment bodies are taking a good 3 months to come back with replies so you may need to act fast!! At least you have a profession that's in demand.

Best of luck
CK
Why ? You can still apply when you're 45 can't you ? I thought the deadline was once you hit 46. That's how I read it.....
Old Jun 9th 2004, 1:28 pm
mickj

If you are that desparate to get out, try other countries in Europe, less hassle, and you can start work in a week. EU member and all that

Old Jun 9th 2004, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

xxdebsonlinexx will become famous soon enoughxxdebsonlinexx will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Ineed 5 more points Help !!

Originally posted by janemr2
I am a midwife wanting to emigrate to oz and I have just realised with the recent changes that I am now short of 5 points.I am working to a very short dead line as I am 45 in August. Has anyone any Ideas? I do have money I could put in ,has anyone done this? Should I try for a job offer? What about tempory visas? I would be gratefull for any ideas.
hi if you had a job offer then you would have enough points as your job is in demand you get 15 points for job offer or 10 points with no job offer. you could put the 40 k for the extra 5 points but id try for the job offer as i dont think you would have any problems. have u had your job assest yet as time is ticking away as im sure you already know
hope this helps
Debs xxx
Old Jun 9th 2004, 1:45 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Innyjim
Why ? You can still apply when you're 45 can't you ? I thought the deadline was once you hit 46. That's how I read it.....
Er fraid not. One you hit 45 you've had it

We had to time our application very carefully as my hubby was 45 in May. Managed to put it in in March just before the points increase
Old Jun 9th 2004, 1:57 pm
mickj

What is the reason for this 45 malarkey anyway, surely its AGEISM, people can't work anymore because they are 45?

Originally posted by Nicstids
Er fraid not. One you hit 45 you've had it

We had to time our application very carefully as my hubby was 45 in May. Managed to put it in in March just before the points increase

Old Jun 9th 2004, 2:11 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mickj
What is the reason for this 45 malarkey anyway, surely its AGEISM, people can't work anymore because they are 45?
Good question!! Especially as, the way things are going, it looks like a lot of us will have to work til 70! My agent thinks that there is likely to be a review of the absolute bar to skilled migration at 45 but ,when, who knows
Old Jun 9th 2004, 2:12 pm
Hello from Brisbane

irishmolly is an unknown quantity at this point

I am working to a very short dead line as I am 45 in August. .

If I were you I'd contact a migration agent quickly for advice - with less than 3 months left before you hit 45 you need to sort it out ASAP. The migration agent will give you all the options including paying a $100,000 bond, job sponsorship/offer or Temp visa.

Try the likes of Alan Collett at www.gomatilda.com he posts regulary on this website and comes highly recommended by many posters on this site.

Good luck !
Old Jun 9th 2004, 7:12 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the others. Dont waste any time. dont forget you could go regional (live outside the main cities) for two years. thats not so bad, at least it gets your foot in the door. and going regional you dont need as many points.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 7:13 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

oh, and welcome. of course once your on this site, it keeps calling you back like a magnet. you'll soon see.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 8:45 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

With the 45 age bar coming up, you really do need to get a skilled visa application into DIMIA before then.

Don't waste time focusing on temporary visas, as once you pass 45 it's so much harder to get PR. There would be a strong risk you'd have to go home after a few years.

If you apply for subclass 136 Skilled Independent before turning 45 then you have a few options:

- MODL points, possibly 15 if you can get a job offer from an Australian employer before applying. Or try spouse skills or capital investment points.

- STNI. If midwife is on the skill shortage lists for Victoria, Tasmania or South Australia. You need to commit to living in the state for 2 years, but otherwise get PR straight away.
I haven't got Tasmania's website to hand but the other two are:
http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au
http://www.immigration.sa.gov.au

- RSMS. If you get a regional employer to sponsor you, and have a 136 application in the system, your age is 'frozen' at the time of original 136 application and you have no issues with the 45 age bar.

In some circumstances you could apply for Skill Matching, subclass 134, instead of 136. Depends on circumstances.

With only two months to get skill assessed and apply to DIMIA, you don't have time to waste understanding the different options. Hire an experienced agent to handle your case. Ask on the forum for recommendations.

Jeremy

Old Jun 11th 2004, 6:35 am
Just Joined

janemr2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Dreamaway 10

Thanks for your reply. The investment is looking like th e quickest option. We are hoping to go to Perth, my sister and brother in law have been there for almost two years .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.