Indy 2004

Old Oct 26th 2004, 7:31 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Indy 2004

For those who aren't petrol heads, Lexmark Indy 2004 is a round of the Champ Car World Series, which mainly runs in the USA. The cars are fairly similar to F1 - they look like real race cars! The annual race round the streets of Surfers Paradise takes place in October, and there are various support categories, like the V8s ( ) and Formula 3, which make it a 4 day festival in all. There was also a night race, part of the Porsche Carrera Cup - pretty stunning watching them pile round the track at their normal speed, but in the dark!

I work as a track marshal, The Bloke is a flag marshal - so we are the people beside the track - him waving flags, and me weilding a broom for the debris!
I worked as a marshal there once before, in 2002. There was a massive pile-up at the start, it rained like never before, and most of the race was a procession behind the safety car!
This year, apart from a bit of rain on Thursday, the weather was fabulous; we had plenty of shade, which made it even better; I worked with a crowd of Aussie blokes, who were interested in the differences between the UK and here, and in why Brits move here. They also kept apologising for calling me a Pom, which I thought was quite funny as it doesn't bother me in the slightest!

Most Aussies seem to rave about the V8s - I'm afraid they leave me cold. They sound "tinny" and are so large that they have no appeal - I'd rather watch the British Touring Cars. However, the crowd love them, especially when they crash! You get asked if you are "Ford" or "Holden", I keep pointing out I want a third category - "Couldn't give a monkeys!"

The Indy race itself is the highlight of the weekend - 2 Brits in it this time, Justin Wilson and Guy Smith - both managed to finsh (phew!). the noise is stupendous - because they race round the streets, all the track is lined with concrete blocks, with safety fences on top; the noise of the engines bounces off the concrete, giving a totally different effect to a normal race sound - real surround-sound stuff.

A lot of people, its admitted, go because they want to see the crashes. The biggest one on Sunday was Patrick Carpentier, who went sailing past my point in a battered, uncontrollable car, doing about 250km p hr. he went straight into the run off area, slammed into the tyre wall, and flipped over the top of it. You just don't know what to think; you stand there frozen, knowing you can't do anything, knowing you have to stop the crowd getting onto the track and near the car, and knowing the race is still going on and we still have to marshal it. It is heart-stopping stuff, I've felt it before, and I'm sure I will again.
Thankfully he is fine. The construction of the cars these days means the actual cockpit is strong enough to withstand the impact, and apparently apart from being knocked out, and getting a headache, he is none the worse for wear, thank god.

So, a great weekend, even though i am knackered and my feet hurt! High spots - seeing Justin Wilson racing (met him in the UK, and really think he's a nice bloke as well as a great driver), being reunited with the team I worked with in 2002, and saying "last time I was on holiday, now I live here!";
low spot - they give you a corporate shirt to wear.......this year it was a lovely shade of blue, with the shoulders covered in beautiful big flowers!! Doesn't worry me too much, but to see large muscular blokes pushing cars around, while dressed in nice flowery shirts......!!!!

http://www.v8supercar.com.au/

http://www.indy.com.au/

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 6th 2007 at 9:52 am.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 7:47 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Indy 2004

More photos at .....

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/E...ventPhotos.asp

including my hero (Justin Wilson!) see below:

Bordy, last year Dario Franchitti actually stopped at our point while taking part in the pre-race drivers parade, specially to say hello to me and my equally smitten mate......! Good driver, and gorgeous with it - shame he changed series and wasn't driving this year.

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 6th 2007 at 9:52 am.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 7:54 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Somehow I didn't have you as a meter maid there.

In answer to the Ford or Holden question, I say neither, I want something that works.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
Somehow I didn't have you as a meter maid there.

In answer to the Ford or Holden question, I say neither, I want something that works.
Nice one pollyana! We missed the action as we were on Bribie Island (don't ask!) so it's good to catch up! Ford or Holden? neither again, I'm a Landrover girl!
Old Oct 26th 2004, 8:17 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you had fun Pollyana. Though I note you didn't post any pics of your blue flowery shirt
Old Oct 26th 2004, 9:07 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by wmoore
Sounds like you had fun Pollyana. Though I note you didn't post any pics of your blue flowery shirt
Too right! Far too embarrassing!
Old Oct 26th 2004, 11:52 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pollyana
For those who aren't petrol heads, Lexmark Indy 2004 is a round of the Champ Car World Series, which mainly runs in the USA....
Polly, what an excellent post - worth waiting for!

Only one disappointment - I thought you were *DRIVING* in it this year! Next year, maybe....?

Cheers,
Anya.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 1:43 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by anya4oz
Polly, what an excellent post - worth waiting for!

Only one disappointment - I thought you were *DRIVING* in it this year! Next year, maybe....?

Cheers,
Anya.
You've never seen me drive! Very very scary!!!
Fly a plane, yep no worries, but cars....ugh, too many other idiots on the road. in the air you have far more room!

The Bloke fancies driving a V8 though, so if anyone wants to sponsor him......
Old Oct 26th 2004, 1:49 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Good to hear you enjoyed yourself Pollyana, nice crash pic, I bet that doesn't polish out

Justin Wilson is a nice bloke ... met him very briefly at a motor show.

Looks good, I look forward to checking-out Bathurst at some point
Old Oct 26th 2004, 1:58 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
Good to hear you enjoyed yourself Pollyana, nice crash pic, I bet that doesn't polish out

Justin Wilson is a nice bloke ... met him very briefly at a motor show.

Looks good, I look forward to checking-out Bathurst at some point
They'll have fun trying to piece it back together...have to repossess the bits from the marshals of Point 3 first!!!
That pic hows where he bounced off the wall, right opposite our point. You can imagine the heart in mouth....

Met Justin when I was marshalling at the Goodwood Festival of Speed - very polite, unlike some top drivers who only have time for reporters with cameras.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 2:03 pm
f1junkie

Sander has a spectacular aura aboutSander has a spectacular aura aboutSander has a spectacular aura about

Great post Pollyana, nice pics as well!
Didn't know Justin Wilson is in the Indy now.
Personally I like F1 better (although lately it's very BORING), but it sounds/looks like you had a great time. If I ever get a chance I will have to visit a Champ Car race!
Old Oct 26th 2004, 2:04 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

They'll have fun trying to piece it back together...have to repossess the bits from the marshals of Point 3 first!!!
That pic hows where he bounced off the wall, right opposite our point. You can imagine the heart in mouth....
Keep it under yer hat but I've still got a piece of McLaren carbon fibre liberated from Le Mans

Met Justin when I was marshalling at the Goodwood Festival of Speed - very polite, unlike some top drivers who only have time for reporters with cameras.
And Mika Hakkinen even less than that ...

But I shouldn't be talking to you, that Tetris score is unreal
Old Oct 26th 2004, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

thanks for that, Pollyana....I went back in 1998, so brings back a few memories.....good to see you posting again

Teresa x
Old Oct 26th 2004, 2:22 pm
Home and Happy

Someone not too far from me has a very precious piece of Ferrari from Melbourne

One of the nicest guys I've met on the circuits is Murray Walker - polite, gentlemanly, I had to ask him to leave the grid at Goodwood a couple of years ago so we could start a race, and he was soooo apologetic! Absolute star. Stirling Moss is another gent, and Johnny Herbert -wow!!! Polite AND dishy, like Justin! . Unlike a certain current British F1 driver who grew a very large ego very fast when he got a drive.
Some drivers should remember that all marshals are volunteers, we get no pay at all and work extremely hard on a dangerous job - yet they treat us like dirt. Without us though, there'd be no racing.
Attached Thumbnails Indy 2004-indy-beach-small.jpg  
Old Oct 26th 2004, 2:29 pm
Account Closed

Someone not too far from me has a very precious piece of Ferrari from Melbourne

One of the nicest guys I've met on the circuits is Murray Walker - polite, gentlemanly, I had to ask him to leave the grid at Goodwood a couple of years ago so we could start a race, and he was soooo apologetic! Absolute star. Stirling Moss is another gent, and Johnny Herbert -wow!!! Polite AND dishy, like Justin! . Unlike a certain current British F1 driver who grew a very large ego very fast when he got a drive.
Some drivers should remember that all marshals are volunteers, we get no pay at all and work extremely hard on a dangerous job - yet they treat us like dirt. Without us though, there'd be no racing.
I _touched_ a Ferrari at Monaco ... hehehehe, I'm just marque-dropping now!

Jenson started to go downhill in my view when he dropped his long-term girlfriend and started doing the "I'm the big it" act ... predictable I suppose, what with all the money and fame.

James Hunt could act like that because, well, I dunno ... he just could.

Agree with the marshals thing, how often do you see a driver get out of car he's just put in the kitty-litter and push the poor guy (or gal!) away just for trying to get them away safely?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.