Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

industrial electrician

industrial electrician

Old Sep 24th 2005, 7:47 am
johnnybrockie

johnnybrockie will become famous soon enoughjohnnybrockie will become famous soon enough
Smile industrial electrician

hi all just wondering what a decent wage would be for an industrial electrician , multiskilled with plc etc experience. anyone any idea?
Old Sep 24th 2005, 9:20 am
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: industrial electrician

Originally Posted by johnnybrockie
hi all just wondering what a decent wage would be for an industrial electrician , multiskilled with plc etc experience. anyone any idea?
I've tried posting a link, but it won't work. So try www.careerone.com.au or www.seek.com.au

Steve.
Old Sep 25th 2005, 9:27 am
johnnybrockie

johnnybrockie will become famous soon enoughjohnnybrockie will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: industrial electrician

cool thanks! iam on £25,000 at the moment what would be the equivalent rate in perth is it the same or less anyone know please?
Old Sep 25th 2005, 9:53 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

It's fairly variable, at least here in Melbourne. I did my apprenticeship/training in airline engineering but spent the last 2 1/2 years in the UK as an electrical/instrument/control tech in a gas turbine power station. UK wages were £25k.

Unfortunately TRA refuse to give me electrical trade cert out of aviation as 'aircraft syatems aren't electrical enough!'

When I arrived and was looking at technician jobs for reasonable size companies wages seemed to vary from $40k up to $50k. Now I'm back in aircraft engineering am earning just under $50k.

As an industrial sparks I would imagine average pay levels would be in the same region.

The main hurdle will be getting an electricians licence, are you JIB registered in the UK or affiliated to a trade organisation?

Their main criteria seems to be proof af an acceptable apprenticeship without which they will give you nowt.

Then I think to get a full unrestricted licence I think you have to do 13 laps of Ayers Rock, running backwards, left trouser leg rolled up, singing Waltzing Matilda, but only on a Wednesday between 11AM and 3.30PM

Actually I lied on the last bit......

You can do it on Tuesdays as well as long as you fill in 42 forms in triplicate, witnessed by a man with a beard at least two foot long.
Old Sep 25th 2005, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Flying Banana
You can do it on Tuesdays as well as long as you fill in 42 forms in triplicate, witnessed by a man with a beard at least two foot long.
Can you just clarify something?

Is it the beard or the man that has to be two foot long and would 0.6 of a metre suffice?
Old Sep 25th 2005, 10:42 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flying Banana
Their main criteria seems to be proof af an acceptable apprenticeship without which they will give you nowt.

Then I think to get a full unrestricted licence I think you have to do 13 laps of Ayers Rock, running backwards, left trouser leg rolled up, singing Waltzing Matilda, but only on a Wednesday between 11AM and 3.30PM

Actually I lied on the last bit......

Old Sep 25th 2005, 11:09 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve G
Can you just clarify something?

Is it the beard or the man that has to be two foot long and would 0.6 of a metre suffice?
I'm afraid that's classified informashun.

If you look at form 1786530_2005(1), page 427, Section 13, Subsection 279, Paragraph 62f, Note xxmci (the very very small print at the bottom of the page, available only on forms issued from the Broome TRA office), you'll find out exactly what you need to know. Failing that you can apply at your local office on Form 1786530_2005(2) for a written answer to your question but this form has been out of print since the week before it came into effect.