Indooroopilly

Old Mar 12th 2007, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of
Default Indooroopilly

Indooroolilly, try saying that after a few pints! My question is this, nice area, or not?
Having a look at properties and schools, it seems nice enough, rather nice public schools and if I make a million close enough to some really good private schools, but is it a nice area for parks, families, I know this is rather naff but my overriding feeling about moving to Brisbane is that it is going to be dry, dry and more dry and red sand everywhere. Are there any areas that are green, Kent green that is, tall trees and green playgrounds? Older plots, with solid houses on it?

Dejags
Old Mar 12th 2007, 12:20 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Indooroopilly

Originally Posted by dejags
Indooroolilly, try saying that after a few pints! My question is this, nice area, or not?
Having a look at properties and schools, it seems nice enough, rather nice public schools and if I make a million close enough to some really good private schools, but is it a nice area for parks, families, I know this is rather naff but my overriding feeling about moving to Brisbane is that it is going to be dry, dry and more dry and red sand everywhere. Are there any areas that are green, Kent green that is, tall trees and green playgrounds? Older plots, with solid houses on it?

Dejags
Friends of mine lived in Indooroopilly before moving to Sherwood, seemed like a nice place to me. He is a teacher and said that the parents rated the area highly.

Funnily enough I had visions of a very dry place (red dirt, etc) before I moved to Brisbane 2 years ago but I have been pleasantly surprised ... yeh, it's not as lush as Kent (where I come from originally) but it's not exactly barren.

And if you need a fix of greenery there is always the more elevated regions that catch some more of the damp ... e.g. Mount Tamborine, which is not far from where I've dropped anchor.

Cheers,
Matt
Old Mar 13th 2007, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of

Matt

Thank you for that, you mentioned, Sherwood (UK, or Queensland), you also made mention of Mount Tamborine being green, what is it like in and around MT Tamborine, schooling, housing, etc? Could you commute to Brisbane?

We were initially looking at Coomera, upper coomera, etc, it seems commutable to brisbane and not to far from Surfers, there are some great theme parks nearby and some fantastic schools, any thoughts as to these areas?
Old Mar 13th 2007, 11:29 am
Just Joined

Newbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really nice

Indoorphilly / kenmore is a very nice area and there is grass...Its about 45 mins to the theme parks (not peak) and an hour from surfers. it is also about 20 mins to southbank (city beach).
Old Mar 13th 2007, 11:47 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Matt

Thank you for that, you mentioned, Sherwood (UK, or Queensland), you also made mention of Mount Tamborine being green, what is it like in and around MT Tamborine, schooling, housing, etc? Could you commute to Brisbane?

We were initially looking at Coomera, upper coomera, etc, it seems commutable to brisbane and not to far from Surfers, there are some great theme parks nearby and some fantastic schools, any thoughts as to these areas?
Sherwood (Queensland) is very nice and, as far as I can tell from my friends experience pretty good for getting into the city ... I know the train service is good anyway.

Mount Tamborine itself is not commutable (by me anyway) and is a slow and windy descent/ascent which does not help. The people living there tend to be arty types who have studios and gift shops, etc ... very nice if you have the cash and the talent! It's another 30 minutes from here and we are already 1hr30m out on a bad day (45 minutes in the dead of the night).

Some of the areas around the 'foothills' are very nice and do-able, I'd say Windaroo and Wolffdene are about as far out as I'd want to get on a daily basis. Some areas down south like North McLean and Munruben look commutable but we found the route in via the West (Mount Lindsay highway, I think) is WAY more painful (traffic lights, congestion, etc) than getting on the Pacific Motorway (which goes down to the coast as you probably know).

Coomera is probably a good possibility from just looking on a map but I'm not familiar with that area. Certainly handy for the parks/beach and probably a growth area in the future.

It's a bit of a minefield, for example we were looking at places less than 15minutes from here but the atmosphere and neighbourhood were completely different ... be prepared for a few late night drives to check places out at the weekend, we may have a few acres but we are pleased we have them when the party season starts or the trail bikes are going!

It doesn't happen too often and it's not as frequent or loud as living somewhere like Waterford/Beenleigh which is not far from here and not somewhere I'd recommend.

Hope that gives you some pointers, as ever, I'm sure there are very nice places out Ipswich way too so don't narrow yourself down too much!

Cheers,
Matt
Old Mar 14th 2007, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Matt

Thank you for that, you have given me a lot to ponder, I have trawled through this and other sites regarding the issue of where to live, we even made the trip out to OZ, including Melbourne, Brisbane, Cairns, etc. I have seen endless postings regarding locations in and around Brisbane and have come to this conclusion (this is for everyone out there), at the end of the day get all the advice you can, then start from scracth when you get there. Everyone has their very own unique set of needs and one mans kingdom is another mans dungeon.

I have taken all the very good advice everyone has had to offer, schooling especially and will base my search on them on arrival, can't wait to begin a new life in Brisbane, fell in love with it when we were there, have just finished a round the world trip with my now pregnant wife and two boys aged 2 and 5. And guess what, of all the places in the world, Brisbane is where I want to live.

Thanks everyone that is out there for your advice, can't wait to buy you all a pint when we get there.

regards
Torien
Old Mar 14th 2007, 11:06 pm
ian&juliette

grij is an unknown quantity at this point

Dejags
Hi.
My mother-in-law lives in Indooroopilly, which is maily where we have stayed when we have visited. We would like to move there too, but have found the houses (mainly wooden Queenslander style) to be more expensive than other parts of Western Suburbs.

Indooroopilly has a really good Shopping Centre ("Shoppingtown") and is not too far from the City - has good rail links, Lone Pine. Also has an excellent outdoor park for kids at 17 Mile Rocks - which is where we have spent several great days with our nephews.

All in all a great suburb (I think) - but we are looking to move to Middle Park, which is a bit further out as you get more for your money, housewise.

Cheers
Ian
Old Mar 15th 2007, 3:00 am
The Mango King

Antney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to all

We actually live in Pullenvale, but it is only 10 mins from Indooroopilly. We lived there when we first arrived in Brisbane as my company had arranged accomodation for us there.

It has good shopping, some nice parks and I believe that Indooroopilly State High is one of the top state schools in the area.

Antney
Old Mar 15th 2007, 3:39 am
Account Closed

Matt

Thank you for that, you have given me a lot to ponder, I have trawled through this and other sites regarding the issue of where to live, we even made the trip out to OZ, including Melbourne, Brisbane, Cairns, etc. I have seen endless postings regarding locations in and around Brisbane and have come to this conclusion (this is for everyone out there), at the end of the day get all the advice you can, then start from scracth when you get there. Everyone has their very own unique set of needs and one mans kingdom is another mans dungeon.

I have taken all the very good advice everyone has had to offer, schooling especially and will base my search on them on arrival, can't wait to begin a new life in Brisbane, fell in love with it when we were there, have just finished a round the world trip with my now pregnant wife and two boys aged 2 and 5. And guess what, of all the places in the world, Brisbane is where I want to live.

Thanks everyone that is out there for your advice, can't wait to buy you all a pint when we get there.

regards
Torien
Sounds like you know your own minds, which is a good thing, some people are still trying to work out what they want which can make life doubly difficult!

Agree completely that you have to trust your 'gut instinct' especially when it comes to where you want to live.

I was lucky in that my wife has lived around our area for all her life so she had a head-start on where the 'best' areas were ... even so, it's a tough slog and it took us a year of on-off searching before we found somewhere we felt comfortable with.

Regards,
Matt