Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Indian Restaurants in Perth-HELP

Indian Restaurants in Perth-HELP

Old Sep 14th 2006, 3:34 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of
Talking Indian Restaurants in Perth-HELP

Can anyone recommend a GOOD Indian restaurant in Perth ?! Please....

Have tried The Cove (got ill), Royal India (Expensive and can not see what the fuss is about), Maya (the best so far but getting pricey and upmarket).

Our fav (being veggie) is the one on the swan river-Analkshami (??)

There is supposed to be a good one in East Perth (Anglo-Indian) but not sure which one this is !

Also, has anyone tried the following:

The Cinnamon Club, 7 spices, Latasha's place, Green Coriander.

Live SOR but don't mind travelling up to Perth (just not Joondalup or the Northern suburbs-but for a really good curry-maybe !!)

Thanks so much.
Old Sep 14th 2006, 4:11 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Indian Restaurants in Perth-HELP

Originally Posted by melaniee

Have tried The Cove (got ill), Royal India (Expensive and can not see what the fuss is about), Maya (the best so far but getting pricey and upmarket).

There is supposed to be a good one in East Perth (Anglo-Indian) but not sure which one this is !

Live SOR but don't mind travelling up to Perth (just not Joondalup or the Northern suburbs-but for a really good curry-maybe !!)

Thanks so much.
Tried the Cinnamon club, not bad, but not as good as its sister restaurants (Chutney Marys, Nine Marys) the later being the best Indian restaurant in Perth. There was a thread last week about indian restaurants in perth, do a search and you'll find out various reviews etc.
Old Sep 14th 2006, 4:12 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Not so far,no.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much.
Resurrecting this after doing a search.

Tried Latasha's in Subiaco tonight and had a great meal. It is more cafe in it's appearance and is self -service but the food was fabulous - very fresh tasting.
The only negative is that it is quite expensive for what it is - i.e. self serve.

I paid $17.50 for 3 vegetarian serves and rice. And I went back for another serve.

It really was top food though - not particulalry like the rich UK Indian food but the freshest and one of the nicest Indian foods I've eaten.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 11:07 pm
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Resurrecting this after doing a search.

Tried Latasha's in Subiaco tonight and had a great meal. It is more cafe in it's appearance and is self -service but the food was fabulous - very fresh tasting.
The only negative is that it is quite expensive for what it is - i.e. self serve.

I paid $17.50 for 3 vegetarian serves and rice. And I went back for another serve.

It really was top food though - not particulalry like the rich UK Indian food but the freshest and one of the nicest Indian foods I've eaten.
Havent tried that place, its the one back towards the city along Hay street from the Subi Hotel sort of tucked in a bit isnt it?
For a cheap curry the one in the markets is pretty good, (The pavillion markets at the bottom of Rokeby road) open Thu-Sun.

Also gave Two Fat Indians in Cottesloe a go last weekend, thought it was pretty good, BYO and in the Entertainment book which helped keep the cost down, quite a big vegetarian section and plenty of non-standard dishes to try. I'll definitely go back.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve99
Havent tried that place, its the one back towards the city along Hay street from the Subi Hotel sort of tucked in a bit isnt it?
For a cheap curry the one in the markets is pretty good, (The pavillion markets at the bottom of Rokeby road) open Thu-Sun.

Also gave Two Fat Indians in Cottesloe a go last weekend, thought it was pretty good, BYO and in the Entertainment book which helped keep the cost down, quite a big vegetarian section and plenty of non-standard dishes to try. I'll definitely go back.
Sorry all, I got the suburb completely wrong - It's Leederville.

Mods, please can you correct my post?

Thanks
Old Jan 16th 2007, 11:23 pm
Just Joined

starwars is an unknown quantity at this point

There is Tandoor in South Perth. I have not tried it as it was closed whenever I went there but heard it is good. If you have dined in Cove there is a restaurant opposite Cove Madras House (I think the name is).
7 spices in Applecroos is good. Good ambience, good food and good service. I have heard that GOGO's Curry House in Mt Lawley is good. Another good one in Fremantle is Sunaly in capuccino strip (south Terrace). Another good one is Suriyen in South Perth.
Hope you can enjoy yr food in one of these. The one you are referring to in East Perth maybe rice and spice. Though I am not sure if it is still there. Agni in Innaloo is an expensive but good restaurant.
Rgds
Starwars
Old Jan 16th 2007, 11:27 pm
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

We live in Port Kennedy and have done for the past 3 1/2 yrs- well almost!

We had not had a decent Indian meal out since arriving here and had just resigned ourselves to making our own. Well hubby does and depending on how many beers he has drunk while making it would determine its strength
We used to have very good Indian restaurants in England near where we lived that were frequented by Indians and Pakistanis so we knew they were good- not full of pi**ed white people at 2am

We recently found a newly opened Indian called the " Korma Sutra" In Shoalwater (5 mins drive from Rockingham City Shopping Centre). We asked the waitress when we were leaving if the chefs were Indian and she said yes.
The food is really lovely and they do take aways too but a little bit pricey. Mains are approx $17 but then you have to pay extra for rice or chappatis. But its worth it. Take away slightly cheaper I think.
We live quite near and would probably have take away and make our own rice to make it cheaper.
Can let anyone know the telephone number and address if required.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Thanks everyone. Have given up on Indian meals for a while-we have tried so many with little success that I have put it to the back of my mind ! BUT..... We did try Sunlay in Freo which was lovely. We also found Madras New Woodlands in Northbridge. Probably the best Indian food we have had here but for all you meat eaters-sorry, it is all vegetarian

We went to Maya Masala in Northbridge recently-not good.

Yvsie-we tried the Korma Sutra as it is not far from us. The WORST indian meal we have EVER had !!!!!! And we have also spoken to friends who did not like it. Our friends asked if they could have something in chicken instead of beef and they were told, sorry the chef comes in at lunch time, cooks all the food and we just re-heat it for dinner !!! We could not even finish our food as we were worried about food poisoning, the bread was so hard the ones from the supermarket were better ! The service was terrible-we were asked if we wanted dessert before we had been brought our main dish, the waitresses smelt like they kept popping out for a smoke and the woman had the cheek to tell us our food was bland (when she asked for our opinion-bad mistake !!) because we were vegetarian !! Little does she know about Indian food. I suspect that there is not an Indian person on that premises !

Oh, how everyone's thoughts are different hey !

I wonder where the Barmy Army got their curry from over here!

Thanks for all your help everyone-Starwars, great list-back on the mission to try a few more curry places again !!
Old Jan 17th 2007, 12:37 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought the Barmy Army had their curry flown in.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iPom
I thought the Barmy Army had their curry flown in.
Best has got to be Chutney Marys in Subiaco.................NOR theres the one at Beaumaris.................not bad there.
Worst is The one at ocean Keys shopping centre
Old Jan 17th 2007, 9:28 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much.
Hi Mel..whats wrong with Joondalup eh!!!!
I know what you mean about finding a nice Indian in Perth. Not much up north so you do right staying away. I used to love a good curry on a sat night, now i eat Thai instead, curry days are gone
Old Jan 19th 2007, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve99

I would second the authenticity of the curry place in the subi markets. I have tried a few others (Chutney Mary's, Cinnamon Club, Anglo-Indian) but they all have a unusual take on the basic favourites. Subi market place is good, honest indian (meat and veggie), with some eye-watering chutneys (free). If you can't stand the surroundings, take-away to the park in front of the oval for a picnic.

Mark
Old Jan 19th 2007, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

Mantelis is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just heard that there is a new indian restaurant opened in Woodvale called The Five Rivers (near moon & sixpence 9309 5789) and it is run and owned by a couple from Sparkbrook, which if you're from Birmingham then you'll know thats in the heart of 'the balti triangle'.
Gonna try it this weekend and hope its like the baltis we used to have in Brum! uuummmm cannot wait !!!
Old Jan 20th 2007, 2:46 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks so much.
As many people on here have, we have tried virtually every indian restaurant Perth has to offer, by far the best two in our opinion are The Royal India (may be a bit expensive but food is superb) and 9Marys in the centre of Perth.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.