Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Indian restaurants in Adelaide

Indian restaurants in Adelaide

Old Dec 15th 2007, 5:12 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Indian restaurants in Adelaide

My wife would like to know if there are any decent Indian restaurants in Adelaide and the surrounding suburbs.

Suggestions, recommendations and precautions all welcome!

Old Dec 15th 2007, 5:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Indian restaurants in Adelaide

Well, as the wife of a Black Country lad, I can recommend one we found on O'Connell St in North Adelaide on our reckie. Sorry I can't remember the name.

The Thai places on Gouger St in the CBD were good too.

Obviously BE members who live there will have a lot better idea, but we were pleased to find at least one place which served a decent Indian meal. (Although it was very expensive.)
Old Dec 15th 2007, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
My wife would like to know if there are any decent Indian restaurants in Adelaide and the surrounding suburbs.

we like the one on Rundle St. across the road from the Austral hotel but a little further away from the city centre-sorry but I can't remember the name of it...
Old Dec 15th 2007, 8:22 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

Depends wether you want traditional Indian cuisine, or the stuff the indian poms serve up...................mm
Old Dec 15th 2007, 8:27 pm
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold

Have tried a few in our area and what a load of rubbish!! BUT we have finally found one, The Balti House on Goodwood Road is fantastic, been there loads and always get a fab curry!! Chap that does the cooking is fro Birmingham in the UK and he cooks it just like it was made at home!
Old Dec 15th 2007, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

I went to the one in O'Connell Street in North Adelaide probably going on 3 years ago and thought the food was. However haven't been in Adelaide since so it could have changed hands since then.
Old Dec 15th 2007, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vicky88
I went to the one in O'Connell Street in North Adelaide probably going on 3 years ago and thought the food was. However haven't been in Adelaide since so it could have changed hands since then.
I forgot to put that we were there last April and it was excellent food - although not exactly like UK Indian, if you get my drift. The place was totally packed, which to my mind, is always a good indication.
Old Dec 15th 2007, 9:43 pm
In New Yorshire

tyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud of

There are loads of food stalls at the side of the Central Market.At least two serve Indian food /curries ect.
That is for daytime or late shopping on Friday night though.
We pop in during the week to the market and have a bite to eat in the Asian quarter .Not tried the Indian stuff yet .
Very cheap to eat on the buffet style outlets - $5 for all you can eat at some!!!

The Balti House on Goodwood Road is OK but pricey I thought.
Old Dec 15th 2007, 10:29 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

There's one on Henley Beach Rd just west of South Rd does a fab lunch deal. We used to go there about once a month when I worked down in that area.

I also know a man from India who came over as a chef who works at an authentic Indian restaurant over by the Botanical Garden. I'll find out the name of the place for you. He's won awards for his cooking.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 3:28 am
Forum Regular

sunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant future

Yep the Balti House on Goodward is the best one, proper chicken breast as well none of this thigh meat crap. I thought the bloke was from the north of England.
Being a former black country lass myself, I can understand the need for a good curry, after all there was so much choice of restaurants. Kamrans down the Lye got our vote and the one on goodwood is as good as that.
Now all we need is a decent chinese takeaway that cooks to a pommie's taste.

Julie
Old Dec 16th 2007, 4:33 am
Forum Regular

Nat1971 will become famous soon enough

Jasmins, and from memory I think it is in Hindmarsh Square. Very nice curries.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 4:46 am
Forum Regular

Nikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud of

Another vote for the Balti House
Old Dec 16th 2007, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Glenelg Indian-wonderful Indian !
Old Dec 16th 2007, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

mysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of light

Having done a vast survey, my opinion is that the best is either the Balti House on Goodwood Road - owned by a man from Luton and I believe the chef is also a Brit, i think from Bradford (but could easily be wrong there).

Next is the Charminar on Brighton Road, Brighton. Both are a bit pricey and still not that gutsy Indian you get in the UK. I now make my own at home (The curry secret book)

Thai is great here though!

Oh and for Chinese we love the House of Zen in Belair

The International food court at the central market is also great for a cheap lunchtime Chinese / Indian / Thai etc. but obviously you get what you pay for!

Nikki
x

Last edited by mysnix; Dec 16th 2007 at 9:57 am.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 10:01 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunnyj
Yep the Balti House on Goodward is the best one, proper chicken breast as well none of this thigh meat crap.
Julie
This chicken breast thing always makes me smile.
They even eat the bloody feet in most Asian countries never mind the thighs
I love a good curry though tend to favour lamb & goat over chicken anyway

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.