Reload this Page >

India vs Australia

India vs Australia

Old Apr 20th 2010, 4:42 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: India vs Australia

Originally Posted by IndieG
......just like people were/are paying to obtain diplomas/certificates in hairdressing/catering/...etc from dubious one shutter "colleges" in Melbourne CBD....lol
The big difference there is that was an immigration rort and the whole objective was to receive permanent Australian residency and not to receive legitimate qualifications.

You can't tar all the universities/colleges with one brush. Depends largely on the university and the college.
That's very true.

I would say the standards and the quality of students in the top institutes (the Indian Institute of Technology - IIT, Indian Institute of Management - IIM) far exceed those of any university in Australia, notwithstanding the ranking.
Not a hope in hell. If they are as good as what you say their rankings would be better and the fact is IIT is ranked at 181 (the highest ranked Indian Uni) whereas Melbourne Uni is 36 and University of Sydney is at 37 in the world.

Students here secure several job offers (not just from India,some are also headhunted by software companies and investment banks in the US and the UK) even before they graduate.
And you think that doesn't happen with students from other top universities around the world? This regularly happens with Melbourne and Sydney Uni.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

ozmania is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fish.01
At a guess, if the luxury stuff and home help is your priority it sounds like India would be your best bet.
the luxury stuff is just one of the very few "+es" of being in India. I am in this thread to understand what would i get in return

Good air, nice infra is absolutely great..but at what cost? Would i have to rot in a single room with shared bath at the cost of AUD 2000 per month? what salary should i secure to have a decent lifestyle in Sydney/Mel? IAt what point (at what payscale) one considers as being decently settled in one's job....i know it's quite subjective, but still there would be an approximate figure...

I am currently in talks with one of my previous employers, who are offering me a job in Sydney. the pay hopefully would be arnd 90K. the question now is if i come to Syd with this salary, will it be worth giving up my comfortable life in India? or would it still be lots of struggle in leading a decent enough life.

By decent enough life, i mean, livable rented accommodation with good basic facilities, good savings as compared to what i already save.

I know, the questions are vague and individual specific, but still any thoughts/comments/tips would be helpful.

thanks!!
Old Apr 20th 2010, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

dhama is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Scaria,
Welcome. Net working jobs are paid much better than Usa. Yes first job would be crucial.Yes unlike States here recruitment Policy is very week and your Local experience counts. They don't bother about that the your are coming from USA and you had worked in giant infrastructure and yeah merely it is depends upon recruiter that how he is going to push your resumes . Wish you good luck and My prayers. Please ensure that there is no double submission to the clients which will jeopardize your selection in future too. Please ask Recruiter who is the client as many recruiters are reluctant to disclose the c name of the client. Cheers . Hope this helps

Dhama

Originally Posted by scaria197
Dhama,

I guess I need all the luck here!! I am planning a move from the US -Feb 2011.Work for a large Fortune 50 company and have about 7 yrs US experience. In Networking though.

Could you provide me some tips? Will really appreciate that.

-scaria197
Old Apr 20th 2010, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

Hi
My case is Not unique. Many of my friends say this. I had visited each and every recruitment agency in BNE. Many of them said to me on face that you need a Local experience. I am not comparing the education here with other countries. If you think that oz is best in IT education Then why aussies are not giant in software. IT remains still in CSL list and many of my colleagues are from uk ,South africa .They are out sourcing to india may not be due to only budget but also the quality. Indians are known for their IT Skills who dominate the world now.If It is a fact that indian education system is corrupted then how Indians are shining in IT. IT jobs are performance based and if you are not showing out put and they fire simply.Nobody can deny in this forum that for any job in oz they need local reference . It is not the question of western experience or India experience. I vehemently say that they lack in mapping skills ,Recruitment policy etc etc

Dhama

Originally Posted by Deancm
This is your own experience unique to you. My point of view comes from dealing with thousands of job applicants with many different job openings with many different organisations.

No, a TAFE qualification is not better than a degree from Harvard. The point I am making is that qualifications from some Indian institutions are not recognised by education authorities in Australia, masters degree or not.

The fact of the matter is that you are comparing educational standards of a third world country (India) to a first world country (Australia). Not to mention that the Indian education system is rife with corruption. A perfect example of this is a particular instance with Oracle certification conducted in India where people were paying people to sit the tests for them.

Take for example British electricians. This is a trade qualification and not a degree and yet even their qualifications are not recognised in Australia and must do a bridging course in order to get their licence.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

Hi
Here in Brisbane you need 800 to 1000 Au$ per week(Including Rent2 bed room apartment) .Then think about Sydney .You need 3000 to 4000 per month depends upon your life style.if your paymant is 90000 per year then must be carrying 1250 to 1300 per week after tax . This is my personel experience. It may vary to different people.Hope this Helps

Regards
Dhama
Old Apr 20th 2010, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Not a hope in hell. If they are as good as what you say their rankings would be better and the fact is IIT is ranked at 181 (the highest ranked Indian Uni) whereas Melbourne Uni is 36 and University of Sydney is at 37 in the world.
That is why I said ranking notwithstanding. Anyway this is what I heard from a some peeps who studied in IIT, migrated here and graduated in universities here. They've since left Oz for the US. I don't think University rankings mean much anyway - at least outside of the top 5-10 in the world......
Old Apr 20th 2010, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

salman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys,
Just wake up here in manchester and finding this debate useful. I am in similar situation. I am planning a move to Sydney in mid may on PR visa and looking for Senior Java Developer position. I have 10 years UK experience with Australian masters degree. I talked to few agents and they say that I can find job in a month time. From your experience of the IT job market, is it a realistic estimate. The job market is really sh**t in UK with 100 of applicants per job.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozmania
the luxury stuff is just one of the very few "+es" of being in India. I am in this thread to understand what would i get in return

Good air, nice infra is absolutely great..but at what cost? Would i have to rot in a single room with shared bath at the cost of AUD 2000 per month? what salary should i secure to have a decent lifestyle in Sydney/Mel? IAt what point (at what payscale) one considers as being decently settled in one's job....i know it's quite subjective, but still there would be an approximate figure...

I am currently in talks with one of my previous employers, who are offering me a job in Sydney. the pay hopefully would be arnd 90K. the question now is if i come to Syd with this salary, will it be worth giving up my comfortable life in India? or would it still be lots of struggle in leading a decent enough life.

By decent enough life, i mean, livable rented accommodation with good basic facilities, good savings as compared to what i already save.

I know, the questions are vague and individual specific, but still any thoughts/comments/tips would be helpful.

thanks!!
Australia is not the best place to make/save money. You certainly won't be struggling at $90k a year, but you won't be saving a lot either. But if you're planning to buy a house in a good suburb then I guess you could be struggling if you have a mortgage on this salary.

Give it a try, if you don't like it, you could always return to India. There is no dearth of jobs there so no loss on that count

Last edited by IndieG; Apr 20th 2010 at 7:27 am.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by scaria197
Dhama,

I guess I need all the luck here!! I am planning a move from the US -Feb 2011.Work for a large Fortune 50 company and have about 7 yrs US experience. In Networking though.

Could you provide me some tips? Will really appreciate that.

-scaria197
Scaria, just wondering why you would want to move from the US to Oz, especially if you're in IT and you've got a good job there? Although I keep hearing so much negative stuff about the US economy, thankfully none of my family (and I have tons of them) have lost their jobs and they're in fact living it up. They'd never dream of moving here! If you've got a job then with all those house prices falling this could be a great time to be living in the US(?). I wish I was there....lol
Old Apr 20th 2010, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

riteshvarma is a name known to allriteshvarma is a name known to allriteshvarma is a name known to allriteshvarma is a name known to allriteshvarma is a name known to allriteshvarma is a name known to allriteshvarma is a name known to allriteshvarma is a name known to allriteshvarma is a name known to allriteshvarma is a name known to allriteshvarma is a name known to all

I find myself in the same situation! Been working in Malaysia and USA for the last 5 years as an Oracle Apps Supply Chain consultant, I decided to move to Australia for a more secure and stable future. Was fed up of the choked visa system in USA.

Now that I am close to securing a PR, I begin to wonder what lies ahead! Looks like I will have to jump at the first available job and start all over again.

Sounds like getting the PR is only half the battle won!
Old Apr 20th 2010, 7:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dhama
Hi
My case is Not unique. Many of my friends say this. I had visited each and every recruitment agency in BNE. Many of them said to me on face that you need a Local experience. I am not comparing the education here with other countries. If you think that oz is best in IT education Then why aussies are not giant in software. IT remains still in CSL list and many of my colleagues are from uk ,South africa .They are out sourcing to india may not be due to only budget but also the quality. Indians are known for their IT Skills who dominate the world now.If It is a fact that indian education system is corrupted then how Indians are shining in IT. IT jobs are performance based and if you are not showing out put and they fire simply.Nobody can deny in this forum that for any job in oz they need local reference . It is not the question of western experience or India experience. I vehemently say that they lack in mapping skills ,Recruitment policy etc etc

Dhama
I disagree. Western experience in an English speaking country vs Indian experience would definitely make a difference to many Brisbane employers. In my experience Indians do not have a reputation here for outstanding IT skills....not trying to put down all Indian IT people with this comment, as I am sure there would be many fine Indian developers, just stating what I have heard in case it helps you understand the local market.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by riteshvarma

Sounds like getting the PR is only half the battle won!
Very true!
Old Apr 20th 2010, 9:22 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fish.01
In my experience Indians do not have a reputation here for outstanding IT skills
That's absolutely spot on.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

riteshvarma is a name known to allriteshvarma is a name known to allriteshvarma is a name known to allriteshvarma is a name known to allriteshvarma is a name known to allriteshvarma is a name known to allriteshvarma is a name known to allriteshvarma is a name known to allriteshvarma is a name known to allriteshvarma is a name known to allriteshvarma is a name known to all

That's absolutely spot on.
I beg to differ!

Indians make up about 50-60% of the top tier professionals in IT. If you ever get a chance to walk into head quarters of Microsoft, Oracle, IBM, Intel etc you will realiase this for a fact.

I am not saying that Indian IT professional is superior by design or make. Its a simple numbers game, just because the Indian numbers are huge, most of the not so good IT professionals also belong to India and hence attact significant discredit.

Its a herd mentality to believe in such generalization!

Last edited by riteshvarma; Apr 20th 2010 at 9:48 am.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by riteshvarma
If you ever get a chance to walk into head quarters of Microsoft, Oracle, IBM, Intel etc you will realiase this for a fact.
Spot on there. I know cause I have lots of family and friends in pretty senior positions in those very companies!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.