Reload this Page >

India And China Have Taken Our Jobs

India And China Have Taken Our Jobs

Old Mar 8th 2009, 8:00 pm
Banned

thomas_reed is an unknown quantity at this point
Question India And China Have Taken Our Jobs

Hi All,

I was working in a call centre and the call centre with its sister software house had been recently moved to India with minimal operations from Australia.

Is Australia will suffer the same fate as US?In US, Canada and India is eating all the local jobs so I see the same going on in Australia that China and India are taking our local employment?

Does Australian government in any way going to look into this fact to protect our jobs?US have found this now when its too late are we going to suffer same fate as US?

Please help!

Thank you.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of
Default Re: India And China Have Taken Our Jobs

the same has happened in the UK too... I know if you ring telstra during the day you get india but if you ring in the evening you get australia. Stellar in au are a big call centre company - have you looked them up as they are always taking on.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

Yes all the jobs will likely move because the wages are so much lower and a company would be mad not to.

But don't just blame the Indians - would you be prepared to pay 20% more on your bill to subsidise local wages? I suspect not.

And the 20% extra that IS NOT on phone bills is money in the pocket that can be spent in the local economy.

Its not a simple argument unfortunately.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 9:06 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thomas_reed
Hi All,

I was working in a call centre and the call centre with its sister software house had been recently moved to India with minimal operations from Australia.

Is Australia will suffer the same fate as US?In US, Canada and India is eating all the local jobs so I see the same going on in Australia that China and India are taking our local employment?

Does Australian government in any way going to look into this fact to protect our jobs?US have found this now when its too late are we going to suffer same fate as US?

Please help!

Thank you.
In a post a few days ago you said you where looking in to moving here. Now you want the australian goverment to protect "Our" Jobs

Please clarify you lost a UK Job in a call centre to India?
Old Mar 8th 2009, 9:15 pm
Banned

thomas_reed is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Zambia
In a post a few days ago you said you where looking in to moving here. Now you want the australian goverment to protect "Our" Jobs

Please clarify you lost a UK Job in a call centre to India?
I am currently on working holiday maker visa in Australia and working in call centre.I was in the process of applying PR but I am worried because of bad economy and our future.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 10:07 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Are you related to Smurtaza?

You're behind the times - call centres are going to the Philippines where the standard of English is better.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

So true last time I spoke to Telstra about our wireless connection I spoke to a young lady from the Phillipines and she was very good.

Its no longer about just us in the west, east has to get a better standard of living too.

We just have to do other things and what gets my goat is that because govs want to be re-elected they go for mass hysteria type policy instead of what would be good for me even if I would not like it initially.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MartinH
Yes all the jobs will likely move because the wages are so much lower and a company would be mad not to.

But don't just blame the Indians - would you be prepared to pay 20% more on your bill to subsidise local wages? I suspect not.

And the 20% extra that IS NOT on phone bills is money in the pocket that can be spent in the local economy.

Its not a simple argument unfortunately.
It is far to simplistic to look at this issue in this way. Yes it may be cheaper on the surface to send work overseas but the hidden costs are huge to both society and the environment. Yes your bonds undies may be slightly cheaper but your tax bill is slightly higher to pay for all those newly unemployed workers let alone the other social impacts that mass unemployment leads to. Its also highly environmentally irresponsible to be encouraging the hugely damaging industrialisation presently occuring in China. Yes we may get slightly cheaper goods but future generations will pay the price!
Old Mar 8th 2009, 11:16 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Petals
We just have to do other things and what gets my goat is that because govs want to be re-elected they go for mass hysteria type policy instead of what would be good for me even if I would not like it initially.
What 'other things' do you suggest we do?. Manufacturing has already been moved offshore, service industries are following. What does that leave?.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 11:17 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Like the dinosaurs, we have to adapt or die.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 11:22 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by yanH
It is far to simplistic to look at this issue in this way. Yes it may be cheaper on the surface to send work overseas but the hidden costs are huge to both society and the environment. Yes your bonds undies may be slightly cheaper but your tax bill is slightly higher to pay for all those newly unemployed workers let alone the other social impacts that mass unemployment leads to. Its also highly environmentally irresponsible to be encouraging the hugely damaging industrialisation presently occuring in China. Yes we may get slightly cheaper goods but future generations will pay the price!
The UK and most of the 'first world' nations now have a large percentage of their working populations that are now economically inactive. Its over 20% in the UK. These people are not counted in any unemployment figures. While a good percentage of these people may not want to seek employment, many of them will, but have simply given up on it. If you are male and over 55 your chances of ever working again if you lose your job are slim in the extreme. Much of this is down to the movement of employment offshore... and once those jobs have gone they never come back.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 11:25 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Seasider
Like the dinosaurs, we have to adapt or die.
...and die is what's happening right now to the chances of employment for large sections of the first world workforce.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 11:28 pm
Auntie Fa

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
...and die is what's happening right now to the chances of employment for large sections of the first world workforce.
You're preaching to the choir.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 12:11 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thomas_reed
I am currently on working holiday maker visa in Australia and working in call centre.I was in the process of applying PR but I am worried because of bad economy and our future.
It could be argued that you are taking all of our jobs. You are not a resident of Australia, so why should you get a job in a call centre when it could go to an Aussie resident?

Unfortunately it's the ways of the world that employers will hire the most cost effective way to run their businesses. If that means hiring WHV workers for less than a permanent resident or taking their businesses offshore then that's what they have to do to stay in business.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 12:21 am
Auntie Fa

I wouldn't waste too much effort on this one, Dorothy. It's all looking very familiar.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.