Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Independent Skill Migration (HELP!)

Independent Skill Migration (HELP!)

Old Mar 20th 2003, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Troood will become famous soon enough
Default Independent Skill Migration (HELP!)

After much research etc I've finally decided to apply for General Skilled Migration on behalf of my husband. The first thing we need to do is get his Carpentry & Joinery skills assessed. Can anyone tell me where/who I need to contact to get the skills assessment form? Would it be TRA (Trades Recognition Australia) based in Canberra or is there a UK based organisation where I could obtain the nec.forms? I've already down loaded the SOL and 47SK (Application Form). Is the latter what I'd need to complete or is there something different?

Blimey - I must be mad going it alone, as I'm already getting stuck!!

Old Mar 20th 2003, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

HeatherS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Independent Skill Migration (HELP!)

Originally posted by Troood
After much research etc I've finally decided to apply for General Skilled Migration on behalf of my husband. The first thing we need to do is get his Carpentry & Joinery skills assessed. Can anyone tell me where/who I need to contact to get the skills assessment form? Would it be TRA (Trades Recognition Australia) based in Canberra or is there a UK based organisation where I could obtain the nec.forms? I've already down loaded the SOL and 47SK (Application Form). Is the latter what I'd need to complete or is there something different?

You need to be posting on the immigration 'room', Troood. Loads of info there. You can email TRA to find out if it's them who can help. According to my paperwork it is TRA who deal with Carpenters & Joiners.

Yes you do have to fill in the form which you already downloaded. That's what we did last year

Still waiting!!
Old Mar 20th 2003, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Cheers - I'll go into the other site. Thanks for that.
Old Mar 20th 2003, 11:37 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

you can print the forms off the TRA website (http://www.workplace.gov.au/Workplac...53D529,00.html).

The TRA website has a lot of information on it that will help you make your application. Having said that I used an agent to make sure we got a "yes" from them, and would reccomend paying the fees for peace of mind.

Hope this helps

cheers

Mel
Old Mar 20th 2003, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Mel.

Which agent did you use and why did you pick them?

Originally posted by mika24me
Hi

you can print the forms off the TRA website (http://www.workplace.gov.au/Workplac...53D529,00.html).

The TRA website has a lot of information on it that will help you make your application. Having said that I used an agent to make sure we got a "yes" from them, and would reccomend paying the fees for peace of mind.

Hope this helps

cheers

Mel
Old Mar 20th 2003, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Hi Troood,

My hubby is a Carpenter/Joiner, we got his skills assessed by the TRA took 4 weeks last Oct.

We are using agent www.gomatilda.co.uk we had reasons for using an agent to take the presure from me as I had just spent 18 months organising a wedding. If your case is straight forward I would do it myself.

Any idea where you would like to live ?

Carrianne x
Old Mar 20th 2003, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smile

Hi Carrianne

Thanks for the reply. I don't suppose you could help with any advice on what kind of info. I should gather on the employment references etc. Obviously as much detail as possible would be best I guess in order to give TRA more info. that not enough! I was thinking about using GoMatilda, but after reviewing the paperwork I thought I'd give it a go myself. Obviously I'm anxious about getting it all right!

Haven't got a clue about where we are going to live. The ideal would be to take 6/12 mths initially touring Oz, researching the area before deciding upon a base. We're going at it a bit blind I suppose, but for quality of life really want to pursue this dream.

Take care, Trudi

Originally posted by Carrianne
Hi Troood,

My hubby is a Carpenter/Joiner, we got his skills assessed by the TRA took 4 weeks last Oct.

We are using agent www.gomatilda.co.uk we had reasons for using an agent to take the presure from me as I had just spent 18 months organising a wedding. If your case is straight forward I would do it myself.

Carrianne x
Old Mar 20th 2003, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

I have sent you a private message

C x
Old Mar 20th 2003, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ditto - just sent you one as well.

Hi,

I have sent you a private message

C x
Old Mar 20th 2003, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi,

Sent message to work email now for you.
Old Mar 21st 2003, 7:37 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Mel.

Which agent did you use and why did you pick them?
Hi Trood

I used Ambler Collins becuase I found them to be very helpful when I first contacted them - unlike other agencies (for example 4 corners - don't go near them with a barge pole).

They also seemed to know what they were talking about. My husband is a carpet fitter and some agencies told us that he was not on the SOL - they faied to realise that he is classified as a floor finnisher on the SOL and we successfully got our 60 points from the TRA.

Added to this they are reasonably priced (£300+vat for a skills assesment, £900+vat for the rest of the appliction) and they don't mind me calling them in a panic if I have any concerns. Nicky in particular will spend ages on the phone with me allaying my fears.

All in all I think they are an excellent company. My application is complicated by the fact that my husband has some convictions so using an agency is the only sensible thing to do for me. Even if we didn't have this complication I would still use an agency for the general support they provide.

ope this helps

Mel

PS I am not on commission for Ambler Collins in case you were wondering!!
Old Mar 21st 2003, 8:15 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Trood

I'm a carpenter and I would say save yourself £300-£400. I done my own skills assessment application, and its pretty straightforward.

The hardest bit is gathering all the required 'evidence'....an agent can't do that for you anyhow.

Good luck mate.
Old Mar 24th 2003, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

lee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nice
Default tra problems

Hi Troood,

Carrianne x
we would like to do it ourselves but it all seems a bit much can u give us any info on how much to send in with the application and what sort of stuff did u send off woth it, my husband is a painter/decorator,
Old Mar 24th 2003, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

HazelG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: tra problems

Originally posted by lee/jane
we would like to do it ourselves but it all seems a bit much can u give us any info on how much to send in with the application and what sort of stuff did u send off woth it, my husband is a painter/decorator,

we're applying to tra via an agent (hubby is an electrician)
we've had to supply details of Andy's apprenticeship, details of all certificated courses he's attended (ie training) - which amounts to around 25 certificates/courses!!!
also detailed references from employers outlining work duties, equipment / tools used & type of machinary worked on etc etc

Hazel