Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Independent school fees and 457 visa in Victoria

Independent school fees and 457 visa in Victoria

Old Nov 16th 2007, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

honeybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nice
Cool Independent school fees and 457 visa in Victoria

Hi,
My husband has just been offered a job in Melbourne with an employer sponsered 457 visa. We have been on the go expats the last 5 years and our kids have been in international schools which were paid for by the company.
Now we are going onto a local contract (no more espat benefits!) with a view to settling in Australia. I have read on this forum and elsewhere that 457 visa holders dont pay for government schools (presently) but there is no mention of independent schools. Will my kids be treated as 'overeseas students' and have to pay full fees?
Thanks
Old Nov 16th 2007, 3:44 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Independent school fees and 457 visa in Victoria

Originally Posted by honeybee
Hi,
My husband has just been offered a job in Melbourne with an employer sponsered 457 visa. We have been on the go expats the last 5 years and our kids have been in international schools which were paid for by the company.
Now we are going onto a local contract (no more espat benefits!) with a view to settling in Australia. I have read on this forum and elsewhere that 457 visa holders dont pay for government schools (presently) but there is no mention of independent schools. Will my kids be treated as 'overeseas students' and have to pay full fees?
Thanks
In Victoria your children should be treated the same as any others while you have a 457 visa, but this policy could change anytime. And you never know how an individual school is going to try to do things.

Local contracts and 457 visa really don't mix well. Why can't they give you expatriate benefits, or sponsor you for a permanent visa?
Old Nov 16th 2007, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

honeybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nice

I guess the OH could negoiate on the company sponsoring a permanent visa. The company cannot afford ( or dont want to) the expat benefits which are usually costly ( I dont blame them at all, I am still amazed at what expats have paid for them). Anyway as I am from N.Ireland and he is from Asia we want to settle in one place and have always fancied Australia. We are not getting any younger and with 2 kids this is one of the best ways of getting our feet in the door I guess. I have qualifications (accounting) but havent worked for almost 4 years but I think I should be able to get something and get back into the work force.
Thanks for the feedback.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 4:00 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by honeybee
I guess the OH could negoiate on the company sponsoring a permanent visa.
http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au is a useful resource, also http://www.immi.gov.au
Old Nov 16th 2007, 6:44 am

carmele is an unknown quantity at this point

we're on a 457 and it's the same price to send our kids to a government school as it is one of the be independent schools in canberra as we are charged as overseas students, which is $10,000

We have sent our children to a private religious school which is only $4500 in comparison with no international fees added on top. Turns out we love the school, we had a good feeling when we went around.

good luck
Carmel