Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Incredibly cheap way to rent a touring car!

Incredibly cheap way to rent a touring car!

Old Aug 2nd 2005, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Flutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud of
Default Incredibly cheap way to rent a touring car!

I just found this website (appologies if its been mentioned before)

http://www.standbycars.com/oneways.aspx

You can hire cars for as little as $1 per day and some even give you several hundred dollars free petrol.

They are linked with all the big national car rental companies like Europcar, Hertz Budget etc.
These are cars that people have hired one way and need to be returned to their original site.

Hope its useful to someone.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Incredibly cheap way to rent a touring car!

Originally Posted by Flutterscutter
I just found this website (appologies if its been mentioned before)

http://www.standbycars.com/oneways.aspx

You can hire cars for as little as $1 per day and some even give you several hundred dollars free petrol.

They are linked with all the big national car rental companies like Europcar, Hertz Budget etc.
These are cars that people have hired one way and need to be returned to their original site.

Hope its useful to someone.

How strange you should put this thread up! A couple of our friends - expats - are driving from Cairns to Darwin next week and hiring a Camper Van, Merc. for as you say, $1 a day!!! Seems too good to be true, but thats what they said. Don't know about the petrol costs, whether they pay, or the owners. Good way of travelling innit if you are only going one way!

You have a 'deadline' ie 4,5,6 days ect to get it from A to B.

I'll ask them to email me and let me know how it went.

Gill
x

Last edited by Bix da Boss; Aug 2nd 2005 at 1:08 am.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 1:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Flutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bix da Boss
How strange you should put this thread up! A couple of our friends - expats - are driving from Cairns to Darwin next week and hiring a Camper Van, Merc. for as you say, $1 a day!!! Seems too good to be true, but thats what they said. Don't know about the petrol costs, whether they pay, or the owners. Good way of travelling innit if you are only going one way!

I'll ask them to email me and let me know how it went.

Gill
x
Yes i'd be interested to know how your friends get on. From what i can gather, its a cheap way for the rental companies to get their vehicles back to base after other people have rented them one way.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flutterscutter
Yes i'd be interested to know how your friends get on. From what i can gather, its a cheap way for the rental companies to get their vehicles back to base after other people have rented them one way.

Yes, thats what I was going to add to my post actually - it is a very cheap way for the rental companies to get their vehicles back. Think its an excellent idea, especially if you could get a deal for both ways! The camper van Merc. they are having is pretty cool - I can tell you! Like a mini house!

Will let you know if they keep in touch. Oh well, have to go to work now time to say bye bye

Old Aug 2nd 2005, 3:05 am
ABCDiamond

I've heard of these, but never seen a link to them before.

Not bad.........

I just saw this one:

To take a 4WD from Brisbane to Adelaide, collect on the 9th Aug, and get it to Adelaide by the 15th Aug: Cost $1/day (thats $7 cost) and you get $200 free fuel. !!

Sydney - Brisbane seems a bit more popular, they charge you $25 a day, but they allowed 7 days to get there !!

Old Aug 2nd 2005, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I've heard of these, but never seen a link to them before.

Not bad.........

I just saw this one:

To take a 4WD from Brisbane to Adelaide, collect on the 9th Aug, and get it to Adelaide by the 15th Aug: Cost $1/day (thats $7 cost) and you get $200 free fuel. !!

Sydney - Brisbane seems a bit more popular, they charge you $25 a day, but they allowed 7 days to get there !!

I've never hired a one way car before, but if you do this, do they charge you for having sent back to base? If so, its a bit of a rip off if someone comes along like this and basically brings it back to them for free (excluding fuel)