Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Increasing Baggage Allowance

Increasing Baggage Allowance

Old Jan 16th 2008, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

Glw88 has a brilliant futureGlw88 has a brilliant futureGlw88 has a brilliant futureGlw88 has a brilliant futureGlw88 has a brilliant futureGlw88 has a brilliant future
Default Increasing Baggage Allowance

Probably been asked a thousand times before, but I was wondering if anyone knew how I would go about increasing my baggage allowance on a flight between Heathrow and Perth using Singapore airlines, and if it is possible when emigrating.

When I originally emigrated with family back in September 2003 we had out allowance raised, but is it still possible to do this when travelling as individual and when I have already emigrated on the same Visa?
Old Jan 16th 2008, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Increasing Baggage Allowance

Originally Posted by Glw88
Probably been asked a thousand times before, but I was wondering if anyone knew how I would go about increasing my baggage allowance on a flight between Heathrow and Perth using Singapore airlines, and if it is possible when emigrating.

When I originally emigrated with family back in September 2003 we had out allowance raised, but is it still possible to do this when travelling as individual and when I have already emigrated on the same Visa?
I wasn't allowed. I think most only allow it the first time you leave.
Jen
Old Jan 17th 2008, 6:31 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Cancel your Asia flight and fly via the USA where you get 46kg automatically.

It might be cheaper than paying the excess baggage.

Buzzy
Old Jan 17th 2008, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Glw88 has a brilliant futureGlw88 has a brilliant futureGlw88 has a brilliant futureGlw88 has a brilliant futureGlw88 has a brilliant futureGlw88 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Cancel your Asia flight and fly via the USA where you get 46kg automatically.

It might be cheaper than paying the excess baggage.

Buzzy
Flying via the US would cost a small fortune, and would take forever!
Phoned Singapore airlines earlier, and after actually understanding what the bloke on the other end was saying, it seems that you can get your baggage allowance doubled if you're visa is to stay in Australia 'indefinitely', but mine was issued in about May 2003 and expires this May, so I'm guessing it's probably not one of those.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

muffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant future

Hi - if you're already booked this won't be helpful ... but when we opened a migrant bank account with the Commonwealth Bank (in London) before we came over ... thru that I got relatively cheap Qantas one way flights (think it was about 350 sterling a couple of years ago) and double baggage allowance for the OH, I came over a couple of months later on business with Cathy ... so got standard business allowance (30kg).

As a general point for folks coming over ... it might be worth looking at business class with a second tier carrier ... eg Air China or Garuda ... there's less % loading on a one way business fare than economy .. and yes it won't be as quick a trip as SA, Emirates, BA or Qantas (ie longer connection times) but you will see some interesting places ... and it's way more comfortable and a lot cheaper than a first tier carrier business fare ... ok it's still more expensive than economy - possibly around premium economy prices ... but haven't checked it out recently so may have changed
Old Jan 17th 2008, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

At the end of the day the main reason for wanting extra allowance is to pack the things which I need for living at uni, to save the expense of having to buy them again in Australia. Having said that, I can't really seeing it being feasible to take kitchen utensils with me, maybe I'm wrong though.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 9:42 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glw88
At the end of the day the main reason for wanting extra allowance is to pack the things which I need for living at uni, to save the expense of having to buy them again in Australia. Having said that, I can't really seeing it being feasible to take kitchen utensils with me, maybe I'm wrong though.
Your only real chance of getting the extra baggage is if you are on a Permanent Residency Visa, and if it is an unvalidted visa - ie if this is your first trip using that visa.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 10:05 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by muffinoz
Hi - if you're already booked this won't be helpful ... but when we opened a migrant bank account with the Commonwealth Bank (in London) before we came over ... thru that I got relatively cheap Qantas one way flights (think it was about 350 sterling a couple of years ago) and double baggage allowance for the OH, I came over a couple of months later on business with Cathy ... so got standard business allowance (30kg).

As a general point for folks coming over ... it might be worth looking at business class with a second tier carrier ... eg Air China or Garuda ... there's less % loading on a one way business fare than economy .. and yes it won't be as quick a trip as SA, Emirates, BA or Qantas (ie longer connection times) but you will see some interesting places ... and it's way more comfortable and a lot cheaper than a first tier carrier business fare ... ok it's still more expensive than economy - possibly around premium economy prices ... but haven't checked it out recently so may have changed
Interesting option, thanks for that!