Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is an increased luggage allowance worth a shorter life?

Is an increased luggage allowance worth a shorter life?

Old Nov 19th 2004, 11:38 am
ピーター及びクレア

PWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant future
Default Is an increased luggage allowance worth a shorter life?

WARNING: Don’t fly over the International Date Line, it’s not worth it.

As I am sure people will be aware you can get as much as a 64kg baggage allowance if you fly via the USA to Australia. The issue is that you lose a full day of your life when you do.

When you fly west from the USA you fly ‘against’ the flow of time for the first few hours, which is OK and normal. The problem is that as you fly over the date line it instantly becomes 24 hrs later... where has that 24hrs gone?

When you leave LA, at say 10 pm on a Monday night, for a 14ish hour flight to Sydney you actually arrive on Wednesday morning at 8am.

You could book a return flight to try and get that day back, but then what would be the point of emigrating. Assuming you are going to Australia for good you will never be able to get that day back as even if you fly ‘home’ to the UK for a holiday, return via the USA, you will still end up a day down when you eventually return to OZ.

With an average family of 4 you would actually lose 4 whole days!

You may consider that fine for yourselves as adults, but what about your young children. Their education could suffer due to a whole 24hrs less learning opportunity than their friends...

Think about it and at least make an informed choice.

Regards.
Old Nov 19th 2004, 11:42 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is an increased luggage allowance worth a shorter life?

LOL....My Husband pondered over this very point for days and days when we travelled from the UK via the US.

For me....with all of my lotions, potions & hairdryer...hell yeah the 64kg's was worth losing the 24 hrs for....

The Hubby however, just feels robbed and has upped his savings for his zimmer frame...seeing as he is now 24 hrs closer to needing it...

Old Nov 19th 2004, 11:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hels
LOL....My Husband pondered over this very point for days and days when we travelled from the UK via the US.

For me....with all of my lotions, potions & hairdryer...hell yeah the 64kg's was worth losing the 24 hrs for....

The Hubby however, just feels robbed and has upped his savings for his zimmer frame...seeing as he is now 24 hrs closer to needing it...

Well we are already annoyed we've lost an hour since we arrived here. We were 9 hours ahead of UK when we arrived. Now since UK has reverted to GMT we are 10 hours ahead, they got an extra hour!!!

Just think what that must do for the UK economy. 55 million people in the UK so they've just gained an extra 55 million hours over Queensland. Shocking stuff, I think QLD should respond by moving its time forward 2 hours in retaliation.

An hour older,
JTL
Old Nov 19th 2004, 11:56 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

As you fly west you "gain" time in little increments as you pass over the different time zones. When you cross the date line you are just paying back what you gained.

Sorry for the distinct lack of jokes in that explanation.
Cheers
Alistair
Old Nov 19th 2004, 1:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
As you fly west you "gain" time in little increments as you pass over the different time zones. When you cross the date line you are just paying back what you gained.

Sorry for the distinct lack of jokes in that explanation.
Cheers
Alistair

Yes but what about 'time saving' by shifting from British summer time to Greenwich meatime. It may seem small, but it gives them an hour advantage over qld, and with a population of 55 million, it gives them 55 million man hours of work over QLD. That could really give a country an advantage.

Ok, its all well and good to say they lose it again next march. But what about in between. They've given themselves a massive advantage,

Cheers,
JTL
Old Nov 19th 2004, 1:11 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Shocking stuff, I think QLD should respond by moving its time forward 2 hours in retaliation.

An hour older,
JTL
But you CAN'T have daylight saving in Qld.....the cows can't cope, they had a referendum and the people said no, becuase they thought the cows would be cnfused and would stop giving milk.......oh, and the extra hour of sunlight would fade the furniture faster...........(you think I'm joking, I know people who BELIEVE that as gospel)

As for flying via the US....forget it, nothing to do with the Date Line, more to do with lack of queues, easy transfers with no need for visas, I dislike the "sense of humour" most Americans have, as well as the attitude that they are the only nation worth belonging to. Think I'd rather fly Korean Air....or maybe Emirates, close one that but I'd give it serious thought :scared:
Old Nov 19th 2004, 1:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
But you CAN'T have daylight saving in Qld.....the cows can't cope, they had a referendum and the people said no, becuase they thought the cows would be cnfused and would stop giving milk.......oh, and the extra hour of sunlight would fade the furniture faster...........(you think I'm joking, I know people who BELIEVE that as gospel)
No, I know you are not joking Pollyanna... Poor cows

http://www.lightofday.primetap.com/Light.htm

Theres whackos everywhere.

That site is unbelievable. It tries to claim we wouldn't want an extra hour of daylight in the evening cos we would be eating dinner anyway!!!

Cheers,
JTL
Old Nov 19th 2004, 1:44 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Think I'd rather fly Korean Air....or maybe Emirates, close one that but I'd give it serious thought :scared:

Blimey, going t'other way must be bad if you would rather go Emirates Poll and what the hell is it about the cows. We get that argument every year here in October, If you (not you you understand ) were a scottish cow, you would have to produce milk in the dark for most of the year - bored myself now
Old Nov 19th 2004, 1:45 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

No, I know you are not joking Pollyanna... Poor cows

http://www.lightofday.primetap.com/Light.htm

Theres whackos everywhere.

That site is unbelievable. It tries to claim we wouldn't want an extra hour of daylight in the evening cos we would be eating dinner anyway!!!

Cheers,
JTL
That is a whacky site.......and there are people in Qld who would believe every word. I'm not trying to insult people here - please, no-one take this personally - but I have relatives now that look scared at the thought of having to change the clocks......and who really believe there would be a shortage of milk here.
Old Nov 19th 2004, 8:20 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Yes but what about 'time saving' by shifting from British summer time to Greenwich meatime. It may seem small, but it gives them an hour advantage over qld, and with a population of 55 million, it gives them 55 million man hours of work over QLD. That could really give a country an advantage.

Ok, its all well and good to say they lose it again next march. But what about in between. They've given themselves a massive advantage,

Cheers,
JTL
Also, what about daylight savings in VIC (and NSW, TAS and SA). In VIC we are now an hour ahead of you which means that we get all the good chairs by the pool - I think

Cheers
Alistair
Old Nov 20th 2004, 1:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
Also, what about daylight savings in VIC (and NSW, TAS and SA). In VIC we are now an hour ahead of you which means that we get all the good chairs by the pool - I think

Cheers
Alistair
If you were German, you would be putting your towels on the chairs the night before... No need to get up an hour early.

Mrs JTL
Old Nov 20th 2004, 1:57 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PWBCSA
WARNING: Don’t fly over the International Date Line, it’s not worth it.

As I am sure people will be aware you can get as much as a 64kg baggage allowance if you fly via the USA to Australia. The issue is that you lose a full day of your life when you do.

When you fly west from the USA you fly ‘against’ the flow of time for the first few hours, which is OK and normal. The problem is that as you fly over the date line it instantly becomes 24 hrs later... where has that 24hrs gone?

When you leave LA, at say 10 pm on a Monday night, for a 14ish hour flight to Sydney you actually arrive on Wednesday morning at 8am.
I don't know if this is intended to be serious or not, but it's wrong.

If you fly from the UK to Aus/NZ you arrive the same time whether you fly east or west.

The comparison with Australia is distorted because the flight west is a number of hours longer than the flight east. Comparing London-Auckland is a better option.

Assuming you leave London at 16:00 UK time and that NZ is 12 hours ahead of the UK (not always the case). Also assuming a 22 hour flight time, broken into two flight legs with a 2 hour stopover.

Fly East
Dep LHR (1600 Mon UK / 0400 Tues NZ)
Arrive Singapore (0400 Tues UK / 1200 Tues Singapore / 1600 Tues NZ)
Depart Singapore (0600 Tues UK / 1400 Tues Singapore / 1800 Tues NZ)
Arrive Auckland (1600 Tues UK / 0200 Tues Singapore / 0400 Weds NZ)

Fly West
Arrive LA (0300 Tues UK / 1900 Tues LA / 1500 Tues NZ)
Depart LA (0500 Tues UK / 2100 Tues LA / 1700 Tues NZ)
Arrive Auckland (1600 Tues UK / 0800 Tues LA / 0400 Weds NZ).

Arriving at exactly the same time, with the same time in flight.

You can't mess with universal time

Jeremy
Old Nov 20th 2004, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Craig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by JAJ
Assuming you leave London at 16:00 UK time and that NZ is 12 hours ahead of the UK (not always the case). Also assuming a 22 hour flight time, broken into two flight legs with a 2 hour stopover.

Fly East
Arrive Singapore (0400 Tues UK / 1200 Tues Singapore / 1600 Tues NZ)
Depart Singapore (0600 Tues UK / 1400 Tues Singapore / 1800 Tues NZ)
Arrive Auckland (1600 Tues UK / 0200 Tues Singapore / 0400 Weds NZ)

Fly West
Arrive LA (0300 Tues UK / 1900 Tues LA / 1500 Tues NZ)
Depart LA (0500 Tues UK / 2100 Tues LA / 1700 Tues NZ)
Arrive Auckland (1600 Tues UK / 0800 Tues LA / 0400 Weds NZ).

Arriving at exactly the same time, with the same time in flight.

You can't mess with universal time

Jeremy
Blimey! too early in the morning for me to get my head around that lot. Got me thinking though; might be worth doing on our one way ticket. Got married in Canada so could show the kids where it all began, go onto Hawaii and then arrive down under. mmmmmm
Old Nov 20th 2004, 2:41 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Craig Brooke
Blimey! too early in the morning for me to get my head around that lot. Got me thinking though; might be worth doing on our one way ticket. Got married in Canada so could show the kids where it all began, go onto Hawaii and then arrive down under. mmmmmm
If you are going via the US, then you need to go through US immigration and have a machine readable passport for every family member (for using the US visa waiver scheme).

But going to the US from Canada is not so bad as you can pre-clear US Immigration before you leave.

Jeremy
Old Nov 20th 2004, 2:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Craig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you are going via the US, then you need to go through US immigration and have a machine readable passport for every family member (for using the US visa waiver scheme).

But going to the US from Canada is not so bad as you can pre-clear US Immigration before you leave.

Jeremy
JAJ

Indeed, we were due to visit Washington at the end of last month for the Marathon but we didnt go in the end as I was in bed for 2 days with the Flu, so we have the necessary. Thanks for the tip though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.