British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Increased Expats forum usage? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/increased-expats-forum-usage-120825/)

Shikse Dec 6th 2002 8:05 pm

Increased Expats forum usage?

Been dipping in and out of Expats for about a year now............

Is it just me or have any of you noticed a recent increased interest in people wanting/thinking of migrating to Oz on this forum? If this is true, could the reason be that the UK is really going/gone down the swanee, especially over the last year? Perhaps the moderators can cofirm my observations?

:confused: Shikse

pommie bastard Dec 6th 2002 9:19 pm

Re: Increased Expats forum usage?

Originally posted by Shikse

Is it just me or have any of you noticed a recent increased interest in people wanting/thinking of migrating to Oz on this forum? If this is true, could the reason be that the UK is really going/gone down the swanee, especially over the last year? Perhaps the moderators can cofirm my observations?

Australia recieved its most applcations for immigration from the UK in the 80s when mad Maggi was in power. Could be the Aussies are going the other way?

:D :cool: :beer:

In 1999–2000 permanent departures from Australia reached the highest level since 1972–73 and the proportion of Australia-born was the highest ever recorded, indicating an accelerating trend for the Australia-born population to emigrate. There were also similar upward trends in the long-term outmovement of Australian residents departing overseas for more than a year with intentions to return, and in the number of residents travelling overseas for periods of less than a year.

Skilled Australia-born emigrants were overwhelmingly concentrated in the young adult age groups. Some 60 per cent of workers emigrating to the UK, the largest single destination, were drawn from managerial, administrative, professional and associate professional occupations.

pread Dec 8th 2002 5:04 am

Shikse,

I don't think you can really read anything definite into any perceived change in posting trends in this forum. Even if there were more people on the forum "wanting/thinking of migrating to Oz", that could just be greater awareness of the website, rather than more actual would-be immigrants.

As for the moderators duties, I'm afraid we are only responsible for ensuring that the content of the messages is not racist, abusive or blatantly off-topic. We don't check the content for accuracy, nor keep tabs on posting trends.

Cheers,
Paul.

cyclops3 Dec 8th 2002 12:15 pm

I would say that you are right about this - I live in the UK and have heard a lot more people stating in the last year that they want to leave this country, a popular choice seems to be France or Spain and I think people are making that move whilst the property prices are affordable and there are opportunities.
I am looking at moving to OZ myself - Melbourne hopefully. Wife and self from Johannesburg approx 4 years ago, the weather and culture is getting on top of us ! Having said that - the Brits are quite nice people where we are in Yorkshire, it's just that I think that one has a different set of values having lived a long time outside the UK.

Regards
Cycops3