Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Income Tax whenmoving UK to Oz

Income Tax whenmoving UK to Oz

Old May 30th 2009, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

SmogMonster is a jewel in the roughSmogMonster is a jewel in the roughSmogMonster is a jewel in the roughSmogMonster is a jewel in the roughSmogMonster is a jewel in the rough
Default Income Tax whenmoving UK to Oz

Folks, we'll be moving to Hobart next Jan/Feb time. Im currently a toprate tax payer as i work offshore. I'll be leaving this to go back to the Health service when i hit Oz.
Am i correct in thinking that i fill in a P85 when i leave the UK, this will mean im not hit for tax on that income in both countries. Either i get a refund off HMRC which goes to the ATO, or the HMRC keeps the tax (seems much more likely...) and the ATO sees ive paid tax on the income and doesnt hit me again?

Any advice please.
Old May 30th 2009, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

mi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant future
Default Re: Income Tax whenmoving UK to Oz

Originally Posted by SmogMonster View Post
Folks, we'll be moving to Hobart next Jan/Feb time. Im currently a toprate tax payer as i work offshore. I'll be leaving this to go back to the Health service when i hit Oz.
Am i correct in thinking that i fill in a P85 when i leave the UK, this will mean im not hit for tax on that income in both countries. Either i get a refund off HMRC which goes to the ATO, or the HMRC keeps the tax (seems much more likely...) and the ATO sees ive paid tax on the income and doesnt hit me again?

Any advice please.
My advice as an ex director on self cert, is take your file to an accountant to deal with it.
I can give you a good one I used near manchester, but as most of it can be done online..location is no problem.

Its better sorted, submitted and settled before you move out of the UK. Tax files are never closed if anything is outstanding...and at some stage in your life, you may have to deal with them for the UK OA pension.

It cost me less than £200 to get a full tax year and from last April to November 2008 sorted and submitted. Hardly worth the headache and worry.
Old May 30th 2009, 6:35 am
HMP Queensland

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Income Tax whenmoving UK to Oz

Originally Posted by SmogMonster View Post

Any advice please.
Fill in a P85 and send them the documents needed. Inland Revenue will sned you a tax refund if you are due pone from the tax you paid in the UK.
In Aus you will have to do a tax return next July when you declare the date you arrived in Aus and the ATO will then work out your tax based on that, and may send you a refund as you have only been here part-year.

No real need for an accountant in the UK unless you are self-employed or have other income etc which makes it complicated. Lots of threads on here from those of us who have done i tourselves (and trust me I'm no financial whizz kid, but it was easy!)