Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Improving Kids Lives

Improving Kids Lives

Old Jan 27th 2004, 9:19 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Improving Kids Lives

I keep hearing "I am emmigrating to improve our kids lives".

For the residents do you think your children are better off growing up in Oz?

For the Wannabes why do you think they will be better off? Drugs, crime, bullying, underfunding and teacher shortages are problems in both countries so what is the reason?

Me being sproggless I have little to offer other than I find it hard to tell the difference. Here the weather is better for the outdoors activities but there is more to a well rounded child than sporting ability.

What do you all think? Could you have improved your kids lives by moving to an area in the UK with less crime and better schooling?
Old Jan 27th 2004, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future
Default Re: Improving Kids Lives

Originally posted by bondipom

For the Wannabes why do you think they will be better off? Drugs, crime, bullying, underfunding and teacher shortages are problems in both countries so what is the reason?

Me being sproggless I have little to offer other than I find it hard to tell the difference. Here the weather is better for the outdoors activities but there is more to a well rounded child than sporting ability.

What do you all think? Could you have improved your kids lives by moving to an area in the UK with less crime and better schooling?
hi bondi.

you haven't got kids. imagine trying to keep just one nipper entertained within the same 4 wall for 11 months of the year cos its pissing down outside. enough said

andy. when you have got em you'll be glad ur in oz
Old Jan 27th 2004, 9:24 pm

Originally posted by andy thomas
hi bondi.

you haven't got kids. imagine trying to keep just one nipper entertained within the same 4 wall for 11 months of the year cos its pissing down outside. enough said

andy. when you have got em you'll be glad ur in oz
Try keeping them out of the beautiful cancerous rays. There is more to life than weather.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 9:26 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, we aint got any of those things in Cornwall. Are they cheaper than in UK ? Will add a bit of spice to life.
And who gives a shit what the kids think ? Soon as they are old enough they will probably emigrate.

Old Jan 27th 2004, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

BP. This is a Dorothy Dixer isn't it?

Wander down to the water's edge and watch each new crop of toddlers being baptised. Then look at their older brothers and sisters. Listen to the shrieks of delight.

Kids having old fashioned fun. Just like aboriginal kids have been doing for 40,000 years.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 9:31 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant idea for a thread, was thinking about this often as well.

I also don't see how it will be better (or worse) having grown up in Oz AND Holland.
I can understand people in the UK thinking they can give there child a 'better' childhood (in some respects) because they have a house to sell in the UK, so that means a bigger house, and more nice weather, but for the rest?
What else will make it better?
Most are still moving to the burbs, and burbs are nearly the same all over.
Downsides are: pulling kids out of school, leaving friends and families etc.
I can understand better the people who say we're going for the adventure, a change.

The one thing that I can say was better living in Oz than here, is over there we had a large block of land with lots of animals, and I love animals.
But that was in a small country town, and nearly everybody here seems to be going to the cities (including us for starters)
Ok, enough from me for now.......
Old Jan 27th 2004, 9:32 pm
WBB

not living in a densely populated "grey" area that stinks of shit will be a good start.

i can see my house through that smog.
Attached Thumbnails Improving Kids Lives-more-shit.jpg  

Old Jan 27th 2004, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Surely happier less stressed parents raise happier more balanced kids?!
Old Jan 27th 2004, 9:35 pm

Originally posted by Banksia
BP. This is a Dorothy Dixer isn't it?

Wander down to the water's edge and watch each new crop of toddlers being baptised. Then look at their older brothers and sisters. Listen to the shrieks of delight.

Kids having old fashioned fun. Just like aboriginal kids have been doing for 40,000 years.
Dorothy Dixer
noun (Australian) (informal)
a parliamentary question asked by a member of the government so that the minister may give a prepared answer
[ETYMOLOGY: from pen name Dorothy Dix of US journalist Elizabeth Meriwether (1870--1951), who wrote a column replying to correspondents' problems]

Not in the above definition.

It is something that is mentioned again and again so I decided to give it its own thread.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 9:35 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by nosuchluck
Surely happier less stressed parents raise happier more balanced kids?!
Just wondering why you are so sure that you will be less stressed??

For clarity's sake: I'm not saying Australia is worse, but not better either!
Old Jan 27th 2004, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Simone82
Just wondering why you are so sure that you will be less stressed??

For clarity's sake: I'm not saying Australia is worse, but not better either!

Because we won't have a mortgage for one! my hubby won't need to work 6/7 days a week from 5am - 6pm then sometimes even later if he has private work! We will spend time together before our daughter is too old to want to spend time with us!
Old Jan 27th 2004, 9:41 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Its not one of our reasons for going, however I think that children can benefit from the experience of moving and the skills they need to settle somewhere new and broaden their horizons. There are of course the cases where the upheaval causes problems for the children but its all character building! I'm keen for my daughter to be aware that theres more to the world than she currently experiences, though will be equally keen when in Oz for her to be aware that theres more to the world than Oz.

I know you dont have to emigrate to teach your kids this, I just think a broader mind and perhaps greater flexibility may be a more realistic improvement for children than the expectation of perfect schools, no crime etc etc
Old Jan 27th 2004, 9:45 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally posted by nosuchluck
Because we won't have a mortgage for one! my hubby won't need to work 6/7 days a week from 5am - 6pm then sometimes even later if he has private work! We will spend time together before our daughter is too old to want to spend time with us!
That'll help I guess. But most are not in that situation, most will still have to work, still have mortgage, and will have to make new friends and will have no family around. And if THEN the only real reason is 'better lives for children'....

Ok, maybe less stressed parents will raise better kids, but my parents were stressed enough in Oz(mum homesick for one) and they still managed to raise balanced kids!

And what about after they're raised? A lot are going because they want good oppertunities for kids, but overall work wise etc those seem better in Europe: more choice etc.

Old Jan 27th 2004, 9:46 pm
dazuk

[QUOTE]Originally posted by nosuchluck
! my hubby won't need to work 6/7 days a week from 5am - 6pm then sometimes even later if he has private work!

Where were you informed that aussies work shorter hours than the British then? Was it the helpful man at Australia house who relieved you of a couple of grand????

Old Jan 27th 2004, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

j hamilton is an unknown quantity at this point

I totally agree with you, if there opportunity is there, take it. There is nothing worse than breathing in the beautifiul Liverpool traffic fumes on a stressful work day in the teams of rain. The constant traffice jam when wanting to take the kids out on a bank holiday. Its not just about sunshine, but most people in this part of the world always feel better when its sunny, kids and all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.