Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Impressions of a visit to England – from someone who emigrated over 5 years ago

Impressions of a visit to England – from someone who emigrated over 5 years ago

Old Oct 22nd 2012, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Impressions of a visit to England – from someone who emigrated over 5 years ago

The parking got me too- every place no matter how small charges for parking.

And we went to Merlin theme parks...Alton Towers is miles from anywhere and you have to pay £6 to park in their dedicated car park. (same applies to all their theme parks, but Alton Towers could not be used for any other purpose than visiting the park, so talk about captive audience).

I also noticed litter galore and chewing gum when we first went back but after 6 months or so it becomes part of the landscape.

Interestingly we have just come back to Melb after 26 months in UK. I am overwhelmed by friendliness. My 5 year old needed the loo- we asked in a cafe and although clearly not customers, the staff were delightful. It makes a change to be somewhere where people welcome children as a delight not a pain.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 11:23 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Impressions of a visit to England – from someone who emigrated over 5 years ago

you can't dance Gangnam Style in England
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Jord w will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ebo1608
Nice post, Simon. Wife's going back to England at Xmas, spending most of her time near the dark Satanic mills of Bradford, the quaint hamlet of Birkenhead and George Elliot's (he's a she, for those that didn't know) Nuneaton. It will be interesting to get her to compare the Midlands and North with your South.

I think your daughter is very perceptive - England is too crowded and it's getting worse. We take space for granted here. Look at the width of the pavements in the CBD versus London. And free parking, and lots of it! Lack of space and the accompanying social problems was a big part of my decision.

George Elliot's just down the road from me

We will be over in Australia around Xmas though
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

Lois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by kmthor
Try Paris it,s far worse
thats cos they are all waiting to catch the train to Uk lol
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 12:51 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

What I dont get is how can some say something like you pay for parking no matter how small a place it is ? It isnt true, its as simple as that, it isnt true. If I go to a large city then chances are I will have to pay, amazingly just the same as if I was in a large in Australia
I will no doubt being accused of arguing even though it is the truth
I can also say hand on heart I see no more litter here than in Brisbane, I dont doubt there are horrible places in the UK where litter is a problem but I wouldnt be silly enough to say it is a countrywide problem.

Last edited by chris955; Oct 22nd 2012 at 2:12 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 1:16 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

When I was growing up I lived on a very wide, tree lined street and the last house we owned in the UK was the same. When we last went back in 08 we were completely gobsmacked as to how narrow they both looked compared to our road here. I showed the husband my childhood road the other week on Google and he didn't recognise it, it all looked so pokey. Very odd. The only other thing I really noticed was the parking spaces in multistorey carparks etc seemed very tight and I was driving a much smaller car than usual.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 1:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
What I dont get is how can some say something like you pay for parking no matter how small a place it is ? It is true, its as simple as that, it isnt true. If I go to a large city then chances are I will have to pay, amazingly just the same as if I was in a large in Australia
I will no doubt being accused of arguing even though it is the truth
I can also say hand on heart I see no more litter here than in Brisbane, I dont doubt there are horrible places in the UK where litter is a problem but I wouldnt be silly enough to say it is a countrywide problem.
I've never commented on any of your posts before, I'd like to ask if the UK is so perfect and you're there living on Cloud 9 why are you always on here?
I'm perfectly happy where I'm living too, yet don't feel the need to slag off anybody else's choice of home Also I don't hang around in the 'Moving back to the UK forum!'

Sorry Buzzy for hijacking your thread, enjoyed reading about your experience in the UK We've also been here 5 years, however haven't been back at all!

Last edited by curly; Oct 22nd 2012 at 1:30 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 1:33 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curly
I've never commented on any of your posts before, I'd like to ask if the UK is so perfect and you're there living on Cloud 9 why are you always on here?
I'm perfectly happy where I'm living too, yet don't feel the need to slag off anybody else's choice of home Also I don't hang around in the 'Moving back to the UK forum!'

Sorry Buzzy for hijacking your thread, enjoyed reading about your experience in the UK We've also been here 5 years, however haven't been back at all!
Well said.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 2:16 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curly

!
No different to someone in the opposite situation I would assume, there are plenty of people happy with their lives in Australia that spend loads of time on here Where have I slagged off someones choice of home ?
The UK is far from perfect BUT it is perfect for us
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 2:25 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

The UK is far from perfect BUT it is perfect for us
And Australia is not the best place in the world but for now, it's best for me. But I don't post my opinion about it on just about every thread that crops up.

I spend time on here (partly) to help people with less experience. Even if it is to tell them, "Yes, bring the washing machine!"

I have lived in England, Wales, Scotland, Spain, the U.S.A and Australia. All perfect in their way and all with snags.

Being constructive is helpful.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 4:40 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
When I was growing up I lived on a very wide, tree lined street and the last house we owned in the UK was the same. When we last went back in 08 we were completely gobsmacked as to how narrow they both looked compared to our road here. I showed the husband my childhood road the other week on Google and he didn't recognise it, it all looked so pokey. Very odd. The only other thing I really noticed was the parking spaces in multistorey carparks etc seemed very tight and I was driving a much smaller car than usual.
Funnily enough, I uploaded a pic to FB recently of a huge lorry transporting a yacht. I said to my OH that the road looked tiny in comparison!
I think if you're used to living in somewhere like Aus or the US, some UK roads must look unbelievably small. I don't think some people would cope on some of the country lanes around here

And you're right about the multi story spaces. My local multi story allows enough space for you to park your car, but not enough space for both driver and passenger to get out

Last edited by Kapri; Oct 22nd 2012 at 4:42 pm. Reason: typo
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 5:27 pm
Banned

A friend of ours came to visit years ago when we lived in the UK and she wouldnt drive here because the roads were too narrow I love the little roads and find them great fun but equally love motorways for the fact that you can get anywhere so quickly.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 6:21 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of ours came to visit years ago when we lived in the UK and she wouldnt drive here because the roads were too narrow I love the little roads and find them great fun but equally love motorways for the fact that you can get anywhere so quickly.
And the motorways near here offer plenty of free parking in rush hour
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 6:32 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Only encountered a few hold ups but having spent a long time in Brisbane I learned to avoid rush hour.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 8:05 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles

There are no motorways in Dorset, at all. But today I nearly ran over a peahen
True story!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.