Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is it impossible to rent with a dog?

Is it impossible to rent with a dog?

Old May 8th 2009, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

Meg27 has a brilliant futureMeg27 has a brilliant futureMeg27 has a brilliant futureMeg27 has a brilliant futureMeg27 has a brilliant futureMeg27 has a brilliant futureMeg27 has a brilliant future
Default Is it impossible to rent with a dog?

Has anyone successfully managed to rent with a dog?

Due to the housing market I doubt very much we will be able to buy a house when we first arrive (hopefully Sept 2010)....

Not bringing the dog is not option, she is like a child to me!
Old May 8th 2009, 3:41 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Is it impossible to rent with a dog?

We successfully rented with a dog. Most rentals that allow pets stipulate that dogs must remain outside at all times but many landlords are happy too negotiate this.

Just check the fine print of the listings, about 1/3 accept pets.
Old May 8th 2009, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

Meg27 has a brilliant futureMeg27 has a brilliant futureMeg27 has a brilliant futureMeg27 has a brilliant futureMeg27 has a brilliant futureMeg27 has a brilliant futureMeg27 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mika24me
We successfully rented with a dog. Most rentals that allow pets stipulate that dogs must remain outside at all times but many landlords are happy too negotiate this.

Just check the fine print of the listings, about 1/3 accept pets.
Oh thats great news! Thank you!!!!

Gypsy staying outside at all times, thats a joke! she's the most spoilt dog in the world and won't even sleep without a blanket on her! Mind you quarantine should put a stop to that!!

Do you reckon you would get away with pretending the dog was outside at all times???
Old May 8th 2009, 4:11 pm
FiP
Forum Regular

FiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really nice

Originally Posted by Meg27

Gypsy staying outside at all times, thats a joke! she's the most spoilt dog in the world and won't even sleep without a blanket on her! Mind you quarantine should put a stop to that!!

Do you reckon you would get away with pretending the dog was outside at all times???

Think a lot depends on where you go, had problems in Sydney area where nobody would allow a dog inside but see plenty of rentals north of Perth which allow a dog inside.
Old May 8th 2009, 4:16 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

No. And if the agent/owner finds out they will terminate your lease. Also neighbours may well tell the owner/agent that you are allowing the pet to live indoors.
Rental inspections here are more frequent - in some cases the agent comes round every three months; not easy to con them that the pet lives outside.

And please spare a thought for those who rent a house with one of the provisos being that it has been pet-free, inside at least. I'm allergic to some dogs and cats, and very allergic to flea bites. For that reason I look for rental places that haven't had pets indoors. its not that I don't like them, but if the agents think there have been no pets they won't flea treat the carpets etc, and the hairs linger too, as I'm sure you know. I've looked at houses where my nose has started streaming and my eyes itching as soon as I walk in the door.
Be fair to yourself and to those who come after you, and don't break the term of the lease.
Old May 8th 2009, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
No. And if the agent/owner finds out they will terminate your lease. Also neighbours may well tell the owner/agent that you are allowing the pet to live indoors.
Rental inspections here are more frequent - in some cases the agent comes round every three months; not easy to con them that the pet lives outside.

And please spare a thought for those who rent a house with one of the provisos being that it has been pet-free, inside at least. I'm allergic to some dogs and cats, and very allergic to flea bites. For that reason I look for rental places that haven't had pets indoors. its not that I don't like them, but if the agents think there have been no pets they won't flea treat the carpets etc, and the hairs linger too, as I'm sure you know. I've looked at houses where my nose has started streaming and my eyes itching as soon as I walk in the door.
Be fair to yourself and to those who come after you, and don't break the term of the lease.
You have a fair point, and even if I thought I could get away with it I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to breaking rules, I would be sure we would get found out anyway.
Old May 8th 2009, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana

Hey Polly!

Don't want to cross your path, God forbid, as you really do a great service here but extending your argument here, wouldn't that mean that you wouldn't like a property if it smelt like a curry?

Do you mean then people shouldn't cook either?

I know your point is valid in that there are people of suffer from allergies, and trust me, I am one of them, but if I moved somewhere where I get runny nose or watery eyes, I scrub the place and not moan about previous habitants...

Of course, given that if the property stunk like rotten egg or is stained in trenched goo, then I wouldn't move into at all..

My point is live and let live...
Old May 8th 2009, 10:35 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

We did!!!! Had a cat too X
Old May 9th 2009, 12:42 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Syedney
Hey Polly!

Don't want to cross your path, God forbid, as you really do a great service here but extending your argument here, wouldn't that mean that you wouldn't like a property if it smelt like a curry?

I know your point is valid in that there are people of suffer from allergies, and trust me, I am one of them, but if I moved somewhere where I get runny nose or watery eyes, I scrub the place and not moan about previous habitants...

Of course, given that if the property stunk like rotten egg or is stained in trenched goo, then I wouldn't move into at all..

Moving into a house that smelled of curry is a different thing to moving into a house that was advertised as being previously animal free. And I'm pretty sure I've never seen anything on a residential lease about cooking, whereas I have seen on all 3 leased properties we've had here clauses about out pets.
Old May 9th 2009, 1:06 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

I've heard of lots of people who have pretended that the dog is outside and gotten away with it, but as someone said, if the landlord decides to check, your lease could be terminated. Better to try to negotiate, e.g. agree that when you're out the dog will be outside, unless the weather is appalling, but that if it is made to sleep outside the whole neighbourhood will be complaining of the crying. Make it clear that your dog is used to being inside and that you will pay for any damage and fumigate the place when you leave (which is often a requirement anyway). They must be getting used to Pommie attitudes to dogs by now, If you can afford to pay a few months in advance you might have an edge, also. Dog references from neighbours etc are a good idea too. Just something to say that your dog doesn't whine and bark all day and doesn't appear to be destructive or unduly aggressive.

A lot of Aussies (and Kiwis) find the idea of a dog being inside all day astonishing (borderline cruel), even if it's a coddled pet, so be careful what you say.
Old May 9th 2009, 4:15 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Polly!

I'm not allergic to curry.
Old May 9th 2009, 4:41 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone successfully managed to rent with a dog?

Due to the housing market I doubt very much we will be able to buy a house when we first arrive (hopefully Sept 2010)....

Not bringing the dog is not option, she is like a child to me!
Renting with our dog was no worries at all for us. The rental was no pets allowed. Until we waved cash up front to the landlord....
Old May 9th 2009, 5:18 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Its funny how people have problem with dogs or cats in rentals. We have just changed our renting agent in the UK for our house and they asked us if we were ok to let people with children rent as they have alot of landlords who don't like to rent to families with children because of the damage they make.
Old May 9th 2009, 5:44 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Polly!

Live and let live up until a certain point though.

Otherwise that means the landlord has no right to make any rules about their property whatsoever as the tenant may well feel a need to disregard all the rules imposed on that property.

If the landlord doesn't want pets then they are for his/her own reasons. They may not want the hassle of possible pet damage no matter how much pet bond is put up. One dog can do a fair amount of damage - my little kelpie has done heaps and trying to get extra money to cover that damage out of tenants could prove impossible.

Personally if I rented my house out, no way would I allow smokers in there but under the 'live and let live' rule, the tenant could just decide to smoke anyway.

I wouldn't rent out my house to someone with cats - my cat is an indoor cat and I have huge issues of people thinking its nature for their cats to kill wildlife so as we have lots of parrots in our garden, no way would I trust a tenant to keep their cat in.

As for allergies, some people have quite severe allergies, I cannot be near wet dogs and my husband has to bath our dog - even the smell in the house cannot be washed away and I have to go on my nebuliser.

We were upfront and honest when we applied for our rental - our cat was still in quarantine, we agreed to pay for the carpet cleaning and to deflea the place - which I bought a can of spray and did myself or I could have paid the agency to do it.

We received all of our bond back because we honoured our word and kept our cat indoors and generally our end of the bargain.

Had we smuggled the cat in, then it would have been a very different story.

Every landlord has the right to impose rules on the property that they rent out, these may or may not be negotiated.

And every tenant has the right to choose whether or not they move into the house based on those restrictions.

It is hard when you have pets but not being honest from the beginning can have repercussions.
Old May 9th 2009, 5:47 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkMC
Its funny how people have problem with dogs or cats in rentals. We have just changed our renting agent in the UK for our house and they asked us if we were ok to let people with children rent as they have alot of landlords who don't like to rent to families with children because of the damage they make.
Oh my god I have heard that, our agent said one landlord said he would rather rent to tenants with dogs and those with kids.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.