Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is it impossible to rent with a dog?

Is it impossible to rent with a dog?

Old May 10th 2009, 8:41 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it impossible to rent with a dog?

they normally prefer monetary forms of payment rather than pets
Old May 10th 2009, 10:55 am
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
they normally prefer monetary forms of payment rather than pets
usually difficult to "rent with a dog" as the hound will struggle to find employment to pay half his rent

Thats the last clean joke i am telling "roy chubby brown"
Old May 10th 2009, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

highersights is a jewel in the roughhighersights is a jewel in the roughhighersights is a jewel in the roughhighersights is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Meg27
Has anyone successfully managed to rent with a dog?

Due to the housing market I doubt very much we will be able to buy a house when we first arrive (hopefully Sept 2010)....

Not bringing the dog is not option, she is like a child to me!
I'm sorry to say that for us it was a nightmare, but what made it worse at the time (a year ago) was severe the shortage of places to rent. In Sydney, if you take 50 flats (units), on average I'd say 1 might allow pets. Competition is fierce as it is and for that one place it will be worse. This is because the strata rules for the entire block forbid dogs. For townhouses (terrace type places), the situation can be the same due to strata rules. It is no use trying to sneak an animal in as it will soon be noticed. For free standing non-strata houses, it is up to the landlord - but most do not want dogs. We finally found a house that had been let to many families with dogs, as the owner lives next door and likes both. You have to be prepared for a long slog and possibly higher rent, or to be more flexible with locations. It helps to get a 'dog reference' of some sort if you can (i.e. housetrained, non-barker, non-chewer).
Old May 11th 2009, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

Meg27 has a brilliant futureMeg27 has a brilliant futureMeg27 has a brilliant futureMeg27 has a brilliant futureMeg27 has a brilliant futureMeg27 has a brilliant futureMeg27 has a brilliant future

Thanks for the interesting debate guys.

Highersights, its good to hear the other side of the story and what you have described is what I am expecting. I am hoping that when we move at the end of 2010 the rental market might be a little easier, who knows...

Everyone here has made some good points, but some of them have just been short sighted. Ironically if we do rent in Oz it will be because we won't have been able to sell our place and therefore will be landlords ourselves. I have already had letting agents round and considered in depth the kind of tenants I would like for my house.

I appreciate that there will always be bad experiences with renting to many different types of people, whether they have children, be smokers, have dogs, cats, a love for strong smelling food or even strange sex fetishes that keep the nieghbours up at night.... But I think making broad generalisations about any of these 'types' of people is unfair and verging on descrimination... I would like to think as a landlord I will make judgments of new tenants based on each individual case, where possible, and would hope that a future landlord of mine would do the same. I know we are good, conscientious, clean and tidy people and that my dog is incredibly well behaved, and I would hope to be given a chance to prove that to a future landlord in person, rather than being dismissed immediately without consideration.

Old May 11th 2009, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

bill77 will become famous soon enough

why would you wanna rent a dog
Old May 11th 2009, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

bill77 will become famous soon enough

you could always walk the neighbours if your bored
Old May 12th 2009, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

juddy will become famous soon enoughjuddy will become famous soon enough

Great on them, dogs are alot better than kids!

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Oh my god I have heard that, our agent said one landlord said he would rather rent to tenants with dogs and those with kids.
Old May 12th 2009, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Meg27
Has anyone successfully managed to rent with a dog?

Due to the housing market I doubt very much we will be able to buy a house when we first arrive (hopefully Sept 2010)....

Not bringing the dog is not option, she is like a child to me!
You will be fine, If you are English have a job, keep a tidy house, ay the dogs well behaved, will live out side ( but it will live in ) then you will be fine, we had 16 months with our dogs and they were fine, compaired to the people who are in the rental now with kids, and a dog, ours was kept like a palace, the ex rental is now a right mess...
Old May 16th 2009, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

humpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nice

We arrived on Gold Coast in January, we looked at 10 rentals before we got offered one, some state specifically that no pets allowed, some say outside pets only, some have weight limits on the pets, Ive seen a few with 9-10kg limits. Ours was a 15 kilos limit, our dog weighed 17 at the vets the day before he flew, he weighed dead on 15 when we got him, he's now back to 17, he is allowed to stay inside but cant go in the carpeted areas ( bedrooms ), he sneaks in now and again though when your back is turned and gets in bed. We had an inspection a few weeks ago with the agent and owner, we got a glowing report back how tidy it was with the dog, It can be done
Old May 16th 2009, 11:25 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by humpy
We arrived on Gold Coast in January, we looked at 10 rentals before we got offered one, some state specifically that no pets allowed, some say outside pets only, some have weight limits on the pets, Ive seen a few with 9-10kg limits. Ours was a 15 kilos limit, our dog weighed 17 at the vets the day before he flew, he weighed dead on 15 when we got him, he's now back to 17, he is allowed to stay inside but cant go in the carpeted areas ( bedrooms ), he sneaks in now and again though when your back is turned and gets in bed. We had an inspection a few weeks ago with the agent and owner, we got a glowing report back how tidy it was with the dog, It can be done
The sneaking in bit - I so understand that. My bloody dog can creep in to the bedroom without me hearing him. I swear he walks on tip toes to get in and all of a sudden I can see a huge pair of kelpie ears from behind the bed.

They become very good at sneaking though dont they
Old May 16th 2009, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I'm not allergic to curry.
get a bison frise no pets hairs = no allergies
Old May 17th 2009, 3:33 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

We rent with a cat, only stipulation was when we leave we get the carpets cleaned in case their is a pet hair residue.

Next challenge is to find a rental with a dog, but it will be a big dog and will have to stay outside and need signs in place. Now theres a challenge.
Old May 17th 2009, 1:00 pm
Tired but Happy

poshrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud of

Evening, I am moving to melbourne from Sydney in July and we have a little mini fox terrier. I have spoken to a real estate agent there to get the heads up on how difficult it would be to rent with our dog and i was told that they do not turn good tenants away and will try and find you a suitable property with a landlord who accepts pets so don't give up hope about renting with pets just find a real estate agent who is willing to help. i am soooo excited about the move now can't wait for the 4th of july when we make the move to melbourne fingers crossed we find somewhere in the next fortnight while we do our recce trip as that would be most excellent lol.

good luck all you pet owners out there.
Poshrice
Old May 17th 2009, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

we were the same every inspection we got 10 out of 10, the house was like a palace..... Its not always the dogs to blame , scruffy people who dont care are the worst

Originally Posted by humpy
Old May 18th 2009, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

think the reason why people smuggle animals in is that sometimes it's not the landlords who are the problem but the agents. As I mentioned in another post we've just taken on a property which did not state no pets - so the person showing us around said that means you have to apply, fair enough we thought. There is no, no pets clause in the lease for the house or the strata rules. Then we asked the agent and as she looked down her nose at us for asking she came out with all this anti-pet stuff, I went home in tears!

Anyway, we've moved in and I've found some evidence of a pet in the garden. Our neighbour said they had a dog and we saw a small kennel in the garden but I'm guessing they probably might not have asked.
I lived for two years in my last rental with an "illegal" cat why? because it was that or end up homeless, and yes I was a model tenant and got all my bond back. So ill be doing that agaion in my new property because I think its just mean spirited frankly, what harm are most adult cats going to do? with reponsible owners? renting in sydney is hard enough, I know Ill look after the place well and sort the cat out at inspections...and believe me the house is no palace anyway....

You may not own the rental you live in but it is your HOME! and thats should be respected both ways. (Im also a landlord in the UK)