British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   IMPORTING YOUR CAR TO AUSTRALIA? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/importing-your-car-australia-502113/)

stevensfamily Dec 28th 2007 9:10 pm

IMPORTING YOUR CAR TO AUSTRALIA?

I would really appreciate some advice regarding the costs associated with importing your own car to Australia. We are emigrating to Melbourne in April 2008 and have a 6 year old car which we will get very little for that we have had from new. Obviously we have looked after the car and have decided that if the cost associated with bringing it over are around £1000 it would be worth it as we would be unable to get a car of the same quality second hand in Oz. We know that our car is sold in the same model and fixtures in Oz so maintenance once over there should not be an issue but we are not sure of the pprocedure We are prepared to pay the extra for the larger container as we probably will need over a 20ft container anyway so we may as well put the car in?

Any advice from anyone who has done this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Cheryl

Mairead Dec 28th 2007 9:15 pm

Re: IMPORTING YOUR CAR TO AUSTRALIA?

There are lots of posts on this on BE. do a search on it. There are also lots of post on this topic on britvics which is a webpage for poeple lookin at emigrating to Victoria.

Mairead Dec 28th 2007 9:16 pm

Here one post

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ght=import+car

stevensfamily Dec 28th 2007 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by Mairead (Post 5713572)

Thanks so much,

Looks on the face of it that its not worth it especially since our car is only worth £6,000!!!!:ohmy:

Geelong Gent Dec 28th 2007 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by stevensfamily (Post 5713544)
I would really appreciate some advice regarding the costs associated with importing your own car to Australia. We are emigrating to Melbourne in April 2008 and have a 6 year old car which we will get very little for that we have had from new. Obviously we have looked after the car and have decided that if the cost associated with bringing it over are around £1000 it would be worth it as we would be unable to get a car of the same quality second hand in Oz. We know that our car is sold in the same model and fixtures in Oz so maintenance once over there should not be an issue but we are not sure of the pprocedure We are prepared to pay the extra for the larger container as we probably will need over a 20ft container anyway so we may as well put the car in?

Any advice from anyone who has done this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Cheryl

Cheryl

Welcome in advance too Melbourne.

Please check your costings because the cost of £1000 does not even come close to what it will actually cost you. You have Import Duty, GST, Depending on particular car the costs can in some cases outweigh the market value in Oz.

In Oz the sentiment of imports whether right or wrong is low and this is represented by their second hand value.

Also just because it is the same model it does not mean the parts are exactly the same - a friend brought his ford across (the idiot) and the light fittings (rear indicators) would not fit properly and thus needed to import them specifically.

Perhaps if you mention the make and model people who have brought across similar will have more info for you

Shane

stevensfamily Dec 28th 2007 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent (Post 5713717)
Cheryl

Please check your costings because the cost of £1000 does not even come close to what it will actually cost you. You have Import Duty, GST, Depending on particular car the costs can in some cases outweigh the market value in Oz.

In Oz the sentiment of imports whether right or wrong is low and this is represented by their second hand value.

Also just because it is the same model it does not mean the parts are exactly the same - a friend brought his ford across (the idiot) and the light fittings (rear indicators) would not fit properly and thus needed to import them specifically.

Perhaps if you mention the make and model people who have brought across similar will have more info for you

Shane

Thanks Shane,

I think it was a forgone conclusion that we would not bring it as its only a Mitsi L200 (Animal with back box on) 4 x 4. It is just that we cannot live with only getting £5,500 for it when we know we have looked after it so well and also we have brought it from Cyprus to Germany (it had a TUFF test for raod worthiness and has certificate for that) it only cost us a slab of beer to get it from Cyprus to Germany (dont ask!!) it is already in Km per hour, air con is Cyprus proof and works fantastically in 40oC+. When you think of what you will get in Oz for £5,000 ($ equiv) it makes you sad. Hubby said we will not squeeze our stuff into 20ft container so if we have to get 40ft then lets take the car!:) sounded like a great idea, great car for the kids to chuck beach stuff in and we know its a well looked after and will probably run for another 10 years without trouble.

Thanks for the info will read up on all the threads and the great Britvic Wiki.

Thanks again Shane, maybe see you at a Britvics meet?

Cheryl

Geelong Gent Dec 28th 2007 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by stevensfamily (Post 5713777)
Thanks Shane,

I think it was a forgone conclusion that we would not bring it as its only a Mitsi L200 (Animal with back box on) 4 x 4. It is just that we cannot live with only getting £5,500 for it when we know we have looked after it so well and also we have brought it from Cyprus to Germany (it had a TUFF test for raod worthiness and has certificate for that) it only cost us a slab of beer to get it from Cyprus to Germany (dont ask!!) it is already in Km per hour, air con is Cyprus proof and works fantastically in 40oC+. When you think of what you will get in Oz for £5,000 ($ equiv) it makes you sad. Hubby said we will not squeeze our stuff into 20ft container so if we have to get 40ft then lets take the car!:) sounded like a great idea, great car for the kids to chuck beach stuff in and we know its a well looked after and will probably run for another 10 years without trouble.

Thanks for the info will read up on all the threads and the great Britvic Wiki.

Thanks again Shane, maybe see you at a Britvics meet?

Cheryl

I know what you are going through. I sold my X5 (fully loaded) and there was more than $$ in the decision making.

Good luck either way - you might find it worth contacting Al "TheBigApe" who i think prepared a spreadsheet to help with the exact costings.

The Bloke Dec 28th 2007 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent (Post 5713717)
Cheryl

Not to mention registration, insurance, conversion of vehicle to comply with Australian/State safety standards for vehicles (emissions, steering conversion, fuel compatibilty). Also resale value is next to nix on imported cars, so unless it is something REALLY unique like a vintage car etc, the OP should follow the advice on the other threads and flog it before you come.

bigAPE Feb 7th 2008 8:04 pm

Just noticed this thread. I hope the information on the cost and process involved in importing your car helped you make your decision :)

Al

stevensfamily Feb 7th 2008 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by bigAPE (Post 5901162)
Just noticed this thread. I hope the information on the cost and process involved in importing your car helped you make your decision :)

Al

Hi Al,

Read all your info, really grateful that you captured your nightmare!!!! and we have decided to sell, we have enough hassle with house sale and leaving jobs etc so it will be sell our beloved Mitsi Animal and buy in Oz!.

Hope your feeling less homesick!!

Cheryl