Reload this Page >

Importing white goods from UK

Importing white goods from UK

Old Jan 9th 2011, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

llanfachreth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Importing white goods from UK

Hi

I'm sure I read a thread on here a few months ago about someone importing a washing machine from the UK and it was much cheaper?

We are looking at buying a washer dryer and a fridge freezer and they're pretty expensive here....

I couldn't find the thread though... any ideas?

thanks
Old Jan 9th 2011, 10:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing white goods from UK

Originally Posted by llanfachreth
Hi

I'm sure I read a thread on here a few months ago about someone importing a washing machine from the UK and it was much cheaper?

We are looking at buying a washer dryer and a fridge freezer and they're pretty expensive here....

thanks

If you're here already, I wouldn't bother. It will be more expensive overall.

Try the search function.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 11:44 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Five years ago, I would have agreed with you. Now though, it's even stevens I'd say. Strong dollar does equal lower prices with some things.

You should be able to get a decent washer for $600.00 and fridge freezers are also much cheaper now.

Visit a few shops, compare prices, HAGGLE and play one against the other. You should get 10% at least off that way.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

ok cool thanks, will have a look around
Old Jan 9th 2011, 10:59 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

ok cool thanks, will have a look around
2ndsWorld in Sydney has great deals and good products.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 1:56 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
Visit a few shops, compare prices, HAGGLE and play one against the other. You should get 10% at least off that way.
That is a must..

One example:
Westinghouse Fridge Freezer
$1,721 at one retailer.
$ 960 at another.
One of the price comparison websites shows that model as: Between $1,299 - $1,465.

Old Jan 10th 2011, 2:03 am
Living our life wherever

Location: came back to oz after moving back to uk but not settled here so uk here i come, last time im moving
Trevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

thanks
You must also understand that the fridges in the UK are not as powerfull as the ones made in Australia,in the uk the all year round temp is much lower than here in oz so thats why the UK dont use a big compresser,you are better of buying here in oz
Old Jan 10th 2011, 2:17 am
Forum Regular

All great info, thanks
I'm in Melbourne. Some do interest free credit too which is good
Old Jan 10th 2011, 4:44 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

What about a Dyson vacuum? mine blew up after about 15yrs.
A new DC25 here is $899 list price, I should be able to get one for $800 given the sales are on.

Same model on Amazon in the UK is 219gbp including UK delivery.
At an exchange rate of 1.6 that works out at $350 so less that half the price of the same product here in Australia, what a rip off!

I must be able to ship it here to Aus and change the plug for less that $450?
Old Jan 10th 2011, 7:09 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by steve99
A new DC25 here is $899 list price, I should be able to get one for $800 given the sales are on.

At an exchange rate of 1.6 that works out at $350 so less that half the price of the same product here in Australia, what a rip off!

You should be able to get the DC25 for $650 for if you look around, and that's without sales being on. Maybe even less with haggling ? Forget List prices.

Back in November, the DC26ACSB was $484.00, it is now $499.00, so sales are making little difference to negotiable prices, only the advertised ones.

If the £ was as strong as it used to be it wouldn't be as much of a rip off.
At the old 2.5 rate $650 would be £260.

Old Jan 10th 2011, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by steve99

DC25ACHPPLPL is $738 and DC25ACSY is $655 delivered at www.appliancesonline.com.au if thats any help
Old Jan 11th 2011, 2:40 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spottydog
DC25ACHPPLPL is $738 and DC25ACSY is $655 delivered at www.appliancesonline.com.au if thats any help
Yeah I saw those prices but still not anywhere near competitive with overseas prices.

Its the DC25ACHPPLPL im comparing with, cant find that anywhere near $650 over here ABC, only the lower end DC25 model.

I dont get why the pound being weak is a negative for us here? surely its the opposite? ie: if the pound can buy the item and afford to sell it for £220 the Australian dollar should be able to buy the item for the same cost ?
Old Jan 11th 2011, 3:20 am
Banned

CasualObserver1 will become famous soon enoughCasualObserver1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Trevski
You must also understand that the fridges in the UK are not as powerfull as the ones made in Australia,in the uk the all year round temp is much lower than here in oz so thats why the UK dont use a big compresser,you are better of buying here in oz
My Australian bought fridge/freezer was made in China and is the same model that can be bought worldwide.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 3:24 am
Banned

CasualObserver1 will become famous soon enoughCasualObserver1 will become famous soon enough

Hi

thanks
Most electrical goods (and pretty much everything else) are cheaper overseas - often by up to 50% - however, not sure about how easy it is to import bulky white goods.

Last edited by CasualObserver1; Jan 11th 2011 at 4:33 am.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 4:23 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by CasualObserver1
Most electrical goods (and pretty much everything else) are cheaper overseas - - often by up to 5
When you say up to 5, do you mean that Australia is often up to 5 times the price ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.