Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Importing vehicle..how long for Import Approval?

Importing vehicle..how long for Import Approval?

Old Jan 27th 2005, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Druid is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Importing vehicle..how long for Import Approval?

Originally Posted by scooterpom
Hiya,

Very strange...I e-mailed the vehicle imports bods DOTAR and they said I could import both, the newer and the old scoot.

Well I shall apply and see what happens I suppose....otherwise I'll have to transfer the Lambretta into my wife's name (not sure I like the power she'd have over me in that case!! )

Cheers,
Scooterpom
Watch out for the "Owning it for 12 months bit"

Now where did I leave that classic GSXR, got some scooter bys to kick off in Adelaide me thinks !!!
Old Jan 27th 2005, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Druid is on a distinguished road

Thought I had my application for Approval to Import a Vehicle ready, once last squizz at the "Brochure" and what do I find, "page 10 ALL APPLICANTS"
Proof that the applicant is currently resident in Australia

Any one shed any light on this, and also do all the copies of docs have to be "Certified" by a solicitor ??

And another thing, my trusty 88 Scooter bashing GSXR750 Sligshot is in a million bits getting done up, I plan on taking this eventually to Aus, It will still be in a million bits when I do eventually take it to Aus, does it also need a Import Approval, even if its in bits, the plan is to finish it in Aus and get it back on the road, preferably in Adelaide.

Thanks in advance
Druid
Old Jan 27th 2005, 7:20 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

Originally Posted by scooterpom
Hiya,

Very strange...I e-mailed the vehicle imports bods DOTAR and they said I could import both, the newer and the old scoot.

Well I shall apply and see what happens I suppose....otherwise I'll have to transfer the Lambretta into my wife's name (not sure I like the power she'd have over me in that case!! )

Cheers,
Scooterpom
Yes I think you are ok because of one of your scooters being over 15 years old if it hadn't been you would probably would have had to do one each. To be honest the easy bit is getting the approval to take them the confusing bit is at the other end getting the paperwork sorted. At one point they wanted us to get some bloke to come and inspect them and say they were ok, he wanted something like $500 per bike for the privilage!!! :scared:

Because our bikes were classic bikes we were told that they wouldn't have to have compliance plates fitted, much to husbands relief as he didn't want his pride and joys defaced with some big plate attached to their frames, then they said they did!! still don't know if they did or didn't. Funnily we came back home, completed a custom form, no problems applied for old numbers back and they were back on the road within a week. We brought one back from Brissy as well same thing once it was ready for the road got it insured and mot'd popped down to local licencing office handed everything in and within a few days tax disc and registration arrived and hubby was off down the road, best thing is they are all tax exempt

Anyhow I am sure that you will have no problems.

Susan
Old Jan 27th 2005, 7:24 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Druid
Thought I had my application for Approval to Import a Vehicle ready, once last squizz at the "Brochure" and what do I find, "page 10 ALL APPLICANTS"
Proof that the applicant is currently resident in Australia

Any one shed any light on this, and also do all the copies of docs have to be "Certified" by a solicitor ??

And another thing, my trusty 88 Scooter bashing GSXR750 Sligshot is in a million bits getting done up, I plan on taking this eventually to Aus, It will still be in a million bits when I do eventually take it to Aus, does it also need a Import Approval, even if its in bits, the plan is to finish it in Aus and get it back on the road, preferably in Adelaide.

Thanks in advance
Druid
You will need to make sure that they don't suspect it is a complete bike otherwise you would need approval. We took a spare engine and other bits and pieces but i think that it was all just listed as spare parts and tools. Mind you it may be easier to get approval as it is probably easier later on when you want to put it on the road.

Susan
Old Feb 1st 2005, 8:22 pm
Scootascum member.

scooterpom will become famous soon enough
Question Re: Importing vehicle..how long for Import Approval?

Originally Posted by heading downunder 2002
Yes I think you are ok because of one of your scooters being over 15 years old if it hadn't been you would probably would have had to do one each. To be honest the easy bit is getting the approval to take them the confusing bit is at the other end getting the paperwork sorted. At one point they wanted us to get some bloke to come and inspect them and say they were ok, he wanted something like $500 per bike for the privilage!!! :scared:
Thanks for the info.

I just had an e-mail back from the customs people (bring it on...Customs, DOTAR, DIMIA, SA Govt...just love that government beauracracy ) saying in order the get the Lambretta valued I have to get an independent assessment from one of three outfits in SA.

Still not sure if I have to do that before I can get the scoots out the container and off the dock, or after?? More e-mailing customs I guess.

Onwards and upwards...(meds done today; one more stress mountain overcome!)

Cheers
Scooterpom.