British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Importing vehicle..how long for Import Approval? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/importing-vehicle-how-long-import-approval-280168/)

scooterpom Jan 26th 2005 4:41 pm

Importing vehicle..how long for Import Approval?

Hi there,

If and when we finally come the the end of the application process, I am hoping to import two of my beloved scooters to OZ (I might even bring my wife and son....if they promise to behave themselves :D ).

I know I've got to make an application for approval to import to the Australian Department of Transport and Regional Services but does anyone have any idea how long it might take for the approval to be returned?

One I can import under the '1 vehicle personal import allowance' and 1 I can import under the 15yr or older rule.

The form says you should allow 17 days for approval but if DOTAR beauracracy is anything like DIMIA's (or indeed any British authority) surely it'll take longer than that?

Cheers all,
Scooterpom.

The Druid Jan 26th 2005 4:51 pm

Re: Importing vehicle..how long for Import Approval?

Originally Posted by scooterpom
Hi there,

If and when we finally come the the end of the application process, I am hoping to import two of my beloved scooters to OZ (I might even bring my wife and son....if they promise to behave themselves :D ).

I know I've got to make an application for approval to import to the Australian Department of Transport and Regional Services but does anyone have any idea how long it might take for the approval to be returned?

One I can import under the '1 vehicle personal import allowance' and 1 I can import under the 15yr or older rule.

The form says you should allow 17 days for approval but if DOTAR beauracracy is anything like DIMIA's (or indeed any British authority) surely it'll take longer than that?

Cheers all,
Scooterpom.

Not going to help you Scooters are banned in Australia, somthing about the wheels being too small and the spiders being able to bite you, if you are looking for somone to take them off your hands my local fire dept is always looking for vehicles to practice on.

If you decided to try get approval Karman told me it would take about 6 weeks and that including the post delay.

scooterpom Jan 26th 2005 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by The Druid
Not going to help you Scooters are banned in Australia, somthing about the wheels being too small and the spiders being able to bite you, if you are looking for somone to take them off your hands my local fire dept is always looking for vehicles to practice on.

If you decided to try get approval Karman told me it would take about 6 weeks and that including the post delay.

nah...the spiders'll get poisoned by the 2 stroke exhaust fumes before they get a chance to get me! :D

Thanks for the 6 weeks info nonetheless!!

Cheers
Scooterpom

The Druid Jan 26th 2005 5:21 pm

nah...the spiders'll get poisoned by the 2 stroke exhaust fumes before they get a chance to get me! :D

Thanks for the 6 weeks info nonetheless!!

Cheers
Scooterpom

AAAAAAAAaaah Castrol RRRR, I love it....................

Well watch they dont fall down one of those trap door thingy spiders holes anyway.

Maybe you can help me, do you need your visa before you can send of the import approval !!

scooterpom Jan 26th 2005 6:47 pm

AAAAAAAAaaah Castrol RRRR, I love it....................

Well watch they dont fall down one of those trap door thingy spiders holes anyway.

Maybe you can help me, do you need your visa before you can send of the import approval !!

I don't think so, from what I've read you can send off the import approval (for the one personal vehicle import) if you are in the process of applying for permanent residence (it is also possible to get it if you are going under 457 temp, but you need to provide them with further evidence).

If you can wait till tomorrow (when I'm back at work) I'll post a link to all the various bits of info I've found.

Cheers
Scooterpom
:)

The Druid Jan 26th 2005 7:43 pm

I don't think so, from what I've read you can send off the import approval (for the one personal vehicle import) if you are in the process of applying for permanent residence (it is also possible to get it if you are going under 457 temp, but you need to provide them with further evidence).

If you can wait till tomorrow (when I'm back at work) I'll post a link to all the various bits of info I've found.

Cheers
Scooterpom
:)

I read the brochure, read the form, no where does it ask you for Visa etc or proof of PR, the form states "Date you are returning to Australia" so I have filled it in, will take copies of everything tomorrow and send it off, see what happens, this year my car, next year my bike & old stag.

Cheers

Druid

heading downunder 2002 Jan 26th 2005 7:54 pm

No you don't need to wait for your PR before applying for vehicle approval my hubby's bikes got their visas a long time before us. I can't remember exactly how long they took to come back but it wasn't that long, a matter of a few weeks.

Don't forget either than when they arrive in Oz and have been cleared by quarantine etc they mustn't touch Australian soil until they are registered etc. We were supposed to take ours on a trailer to the local Queensland Transport office so they could be inspected before being registered as it was we had already decided to come home so they stayed in there crates in the garage (thats what they think ;) )

Susan :D

arlene Jan 26th 2005 8:08 pm

not only that but they have an extra number added onto the chasis over here so the bike has to be stripped to add it on as des found out lots of hassle

arlene

scooterpom Jan 27th 2005 8:09 am

I read the brochure, read the form, no where does it ask you for Visa etc or proof of PR, the form states "Date you are returning to Australia" so I have filled it in, will take copies of everything tomorrow and send it off, see what happens, this year my car, next year my bike & old stag.

Cheers

Druid

Hi Druid,

Even though you obviously have no love for the true art of transport, the info I read was from the DOTARS website: -

http://www.dotars.gov.au/transreg/vsb/vsb_10.htm

This document says 'Personal Imports (Part 8 on the form) - at the time the vehicle is imported...the applicant is a person who has applied to be an Australian citizen or permanent resident'.

Incidentally, when I asked DOTARS they said I can import BOTH scooters, a newer one under the personal import category, and the older one under the 15yr or older category. (A 15yr or older import does not count towards your one a year allowance)

Hope this helps,
Cheers
Scooterpom.

heading downunder 2002 Jan 27th 2005 2:58 pm

Hi Druid,

Even though you obviously have no love for the true art of transport, the info I read was from the DOTARS website: -

This document says 'Personal Imports (Part 8 on the form) - at the time the vehicle is imported...the applicant is a person who has applied to be an Australian citizen or permanent resident'.

Incidentally, when I asked DOTARS they said I can import BOTH scooters, a newer one under the personal import category, and the older one under the 15yr or older category. (A 15yr or older import does not count towards your one a year allowance)

Hope this helps,
Cheers
Scooterpom.

Both our bikes were over 15 yrs old however we were told that if they hadn't been we could have imported one in my hubbys name and the other in mine.

jc_hoops Jan 27th 2005 3:11 pm

Hi Druid,

Hope this helps,
Cheers
Scooterpom.

Good mode of transport ;)

Got a few mates in the Brisbane and Adelaide area into Northern Soul, like myself, and I believe, there is a Scooter Club called the Cainetoads in Brisbane.

Where are you planning to settle ?

Davidd Jan 27th 2005 3:17 pm

Hi there,

Cheers all,
Scooterpom.

Hi Scooterpom,

Apply by e-mail to: [email protected]

as long as you submit required docs with the application, it shouldn't be much longer than the 17 days quoted.

Davidd

scooterpom Jan 27th 2005 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by jc_hoops
Good mode of transport ;)

Got a few mates in the Brisbane and Adelaide area into Northern Soul, like myself, and I believe, there is a Scooter Club called the Cainetoads in Brisbane.

Where are you planning to settle ?

Hopefully in Adelaide so, as far as I know, I will member no.1 of the Adelaide Scooter Club!!

When (if??) I get there it'd be good to know a few like minded souls.

Keep the Faith!

Cheers
Scooterpom.

jc_hoops Jan 27th 2005 3:35 pm

Hopefully in Adelaide so, as far as I know, I will member no.1 of the Adelaide Scooter Club!!

When (if??) I get there it'd be good to know a few like minded souls.

Keep the Faith!

Cheers
Scooterpom.

Not the first mate, I came across a few "Scooter Skins" in my back packing days (1990), good lads as well !

Good "Northern do" in the centre of Adelaide at the moment, Enigma Bar - worth checking out.

KTF

scooterpom Jan 27th 2005 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by heading downunder 2002
Both our bikes were over 15 yrs old however we were told that if they hadn't been we could have imported one in my hubbys name and the other in mine.

Hiya,

Very strange...I e-mailed the vehicle imports bods DOTAR and they said I could import both, the newer and the old scoot.

Well I shall apply and see what happens I suppose....otherwise I'll have to transfer the Lambretta into my wife's name (not sure I like the power she'd have over me in that case!!:eek: )

Cheers,
Scooterpom