Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

importing a vehicle

importing a vehicle

Old Jun 2nd 2014, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light
Default importing a vehicle

Can anyone please point me in the direction of information on importing a UK Vehicle to Aus? The search box does not appear to be working. Thanks
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: importing a vehicle

iron lady imports
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 11:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Hasn't come up for a while, but the most recent I found is...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=815372
Old Jun 16th 2014, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Jillibee and Alfresco.

The process looks rather daunting and costly so I might have to mothball my trusty steed. I don't really want to part with it.

Buying cars without transport is a right pain, and stamp duty painful too!
Old Jun 16th 2014, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Jillibee and Alfresco.

The process looks rather daunting and costly so I might have to mothball my trusty steed. I don't really want to part with it.

Buying cars without transport is a right pain, and stamp duty painful too!
Old Jun 16th 2014, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Do you have to have owned the car for 12 months too before importing it?
Old Jun 16th 2014, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Perpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond repute

Yes unfortunately.

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Do you have to have owned the car for 12 months too before importing it?
Old Jun 16th 2014, 10:12 pm
DML
Forum Regular

DML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond repute

I got my import visa a couple of months back. A bit like visas, the process is pretty straightforward once you have everything ready. Once you have the import visa there is no expiry date so you can take your time if you wish. We're going to use Motor Vehicle Shipping and Car Import from Overseas to Australia
Its not cheap to import so weigh up all the figures. There's lots of red tape to go through at the Australian end.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 7:22 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully once the last manufacturer pulls out of Australia the whole process will become easier and less restrictive but with Australias love of red tape I doubt it.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

Perpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond repute

When I looked into importing my car to Victoria, it did not seem possible to do this without spending less than £4K, regardless of type of car and shipment type. Has anyone imported a car, or received a quote, significantly cheaper than this?
Old Jun 18th 2014, 6:43 am
DML
Forum Regular

DML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond repute

my quote for importing an MX5 is 3100 UK pounds - this includes 325 to transport the car down from Scotland and all fees at the Australian end. The car is only worth about 1500 UK but has massive sentimental value
Old Jun 18th 2014, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

Do you mind me asking which company provided you with the quote?

Originally Posted by DML
my quote for importing an MX5 is 3100 UK pounds - this includes 325 to transport the car down from Scotland and all fees at the Australian end. The car is only worth about 1500 UK but has massive sentimental value
Old Jun 19th 2014, 1:35 am
DML
Forum Regular

Put Personal Import Australia into Google and its about the 4th one down. Bear in mind that a lot of the costs on the Australian side relate to the value of the car (for customs and GST). My car is not worth very much hence these costs are pretty low.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks! I think I may have left it too late as I am leaving 2nd of August, and I hear turn-around time for a vehicle import approval is approximately 21 working days! My car is not worth more than 5K here in the UK (Mini Cooper S) so I presume there shouldn't be too many costs once in Australia.

Originally Posted by DML
Put Personal Import Australia into Google and its about the 4th one down. Bear in mind that a lot of the costs on the Australian side relate to the value of the car (for customs and GST). My car is not worth very much hence these costs are pretty low.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 12:17 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perpetual Tourist
Thanks! I think I may have left it too late as I am leaving 2nd of August, and I hear turn-around time for a vehicle import approval is approximately 21 working days! My car is not worth more than 5K here in the UK (Mini Cooper S) so I presume there shouldn't be too many costs once in Australia.
You could make it, but it'll be a push (). I can send you an email address so you can ask them nicely to hurry up, if that's a help?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.