Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Importing a usually imported motorcycle

Importing a usually imported motorcycle

Old Apr 12th 2005, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light
Default Importing a usually imported motorcycle

I've done a search but can't find and answer to this one.

My other half has a Honda RVF 400 which he would like to take with him. These are classed as imports in both Australia and the UK. If it's imported privately (rather than buy an australian dealer) will this affect it's resale value given there is no australian version anyway.

Also has anyone imported a motorbike and if they have what were the costs involved, could we include it in a container with our belongings and what would need to be done to get it ready for australian customs.

Thanks
Old Apr 12th 2005, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Importing a usually imported motorcycle

I'd like to know more on this subject also.
Would guess it would be a bit more difficult from what I've read on the subject. I think it's easier to import a bike yourself that they already sell in Oz.

I have a 91 FZR1000RU (exup) and would like to take it if it can go in the container, for 3 reasons:

1. It not worth much here if I were to sell it, maybe £1000
2. I've spent loads on it
3. I don't want to shell out a load of cash on a new bike when I get there.

If it has to be specially imported i.e. not in the container then it won't be worth the expense.
I'm sure you can put it in the container cos I've seen cars put in them and then boxed out above for more stuff.

Of course if I HAVE to, I suppose I could get an 05 R1 !
Old Apr 12th 2005, 4:11 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

Originally Posted by cadman
Would guess it would be a bit more difficult from what I've read on the subject. I think it's easier to import a bike yourself that they already sell in Oz.

I have a 91 FZR1000RU (exup) and would like to take it if it can go in the container, for 3 reasons:

If it has to be specially imported i.e. not in the container then it won't be worth the expense.
I'm sure you can put it in the container cos I've seen cars put in them and then boxed out above for more stuff.

Ive just had a shipper round...who mentioned one of his customers is putting a bike in the container...It would have to be well cleaned of any dirt mind...

Another thing have you guys considered getting spare parts for these bikes over there...If the 400 isnt normally imported whats the chance of getting any bits for it if you take it.
Old Apr 12th 2005, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

I'll gladly pay them to clean it !

My bike was sold in OZ so shouldn't be a problem.

There are people who do spares for grey imports (e.g. VFR400) here so no reason why there shouldn't be the same grey imports/spares firms in Oz.

Good to know they ship them in the container though cheers!
Old Apr 12th 2005, 4:57 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spottydog
I've done a search but can't find and answer to this one.

My other half has a Honda RVF 400 which he would like to take with him. These are classed as imports in both Australia and the UK. If it's imported privately (rather than buy an australian dealer) will this affect it's resale value given there is no australian version anyway.

Also has anyone imported a motorbike and if they have what were the costs involved, could we include it in a container with our belongings and what would need to be done to get it ready for australian customs.

Thanks
For info on customs check this site and its links. Be aware that you will also need to check for compliance with the state vehicle licencing authority in the state you intend to move to.

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4371
Old Apr 13th 2005, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

THanks everyone, I'll have a look at the costs further.

Spares shouldn't be a problem as they're imported into Oz in the same way as they are into the UK just not brand new by Honda (and it appears they have also started racing them in Oz). Since he loves the RVF and the cheapest I can find advertised on the web is $8000 for a 1994 model it may well be worth shipping it.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Let me know how you get on.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 11:27 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

Might be worth giving these guys a shout http://www.importmc.com.au have a look under the page marked 'compliance' they list the VFR 400 so should know excatly what needs doing and how much it will cost.

Hope you get it all sorted
Old Apr 13th 2005, 11:44 am
J+J
Small Member

J+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant future

I am hopefuly shipping mine in a container with the rest of the household stuff.
Its an old Z650, like you said it ain't worth a deal but I've owned it now for longer than I care to remember.
To get it crated and put in the back of the container costs about £250.
I've not look into customs or compliance yet.
The good lady isn't keen on shipping it so it's one bridge at a time...

Jamie
Old Apr 25th 2005, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by J+J
I am hopefuly shipping mine in a container with the rest of the household stuff.
Its an old Z650, like you said it ain't worth a deal but I've owned it now for longer than I care to remember.
To get it crated and put in the back of the container costs about £250.
I've not look into customs or compliance yet.
The good lady isn't keen on shipping it so it's one bridge at a time...

Jamie
Good luck with that Jamie! Tell her you'll have to get a new one in OZ and that it'll cost more!

Incidentally, I have also read somewhere that there's no import duties on bikes over 15 years old. My 91 will be approx. 16 yrs old by the time we go.

EDIT - I'm sure I read 15 years old = exempt but on the link it states over 30 years old.

Last edited by cadman; Apr 25th 2005 at 12:41 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 1:07 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck with that Jamie! Tell her you'll have to get a new one in OZ and that it'll cost more!

Incidentally, I have also read somewhere that there's no import duties on bikes over 15 years old. My 91 will be approx. 16 yrs old by the time we go.

EDIT - I'm sure I read 15 years old = exempt but on the link it states over 30 years old.
The rules have changed recently I'm afraid....
http://www.dotars.gov.au/transreg/vsb/vsb_10.htm