Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Importing unroadworthy motorcycle ??

Importing unroadworthy motorcycle ??

Old Dec 13th 2004, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Druid is on a distinguished road
Default Importing unroadworthy motorcycle ??

I have an oldish bike which I am busy rebuilding from the ground up, bit of a project bike, it used to be on the road here in the UK, but I probably wont be finished in time for the move to Aus.

Are you allowed to import it in kit form ?? then I could finish building it in Aus and eventually get it on the road in Aus.
Old Dec 13th 2004, 8:19 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing unroadworthy motorcycle ??

Originally Posted by The Druid
I have an oldish bike which I am busy rebuilding from the ground up, bit of a project bike, it used to be on the road here in the UK, but I probably wont be finished in time for the move to Aus.

Are you allowed to import it in kit form ?? then I could finish building it in Aus and eventually get it on the road in Aus.
Yes you can import it. If it's in pieces it counts as spare parts as opposed to a complete bike and is not subject to the same import tax. We looked into importing our unfinished hotrod project and found that an incomplete car paid less duty than the finished one would incurr [it's based on value of finished car/bike]
Old Dec 16th 2004, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Druid is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by cresta57
Yes you can import it. If it's in pieces it counts as spare parts as opposed to a complete bike and is not subject to the same import tax. We looked into importing our unfinished hotrod project and found that an incomplete car paid less duty than the finished one would incurr [it's based on value of finished car/bike]
Thanks for that, now for the next question, do I still need an import approval (permission to import it) like I need for my car ??

Old Dec 16th 2004, 8:53 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Druid

You haven't pinched it from Shere Khan have you?