Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Importing UK Caravan to Oz

Importing UK Caravan to Oz

Old Feb 26th 2011, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

Tom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really nice
Default Importing UK Caravan to Oz

Some time in the near future, my wife I will be moving to Oz permanently.

We love caravanning in UK and would like to continue in Oz

Problem is that my wife is disabled so we need the full facilities of our caravan (toilet & shower etc.)

Looking on ebay Oz & visiting dealers in Oz whilst on holiday, most don't have built in toilet & shower.

Those that do are horrendously expensive

We have noticed, however, that some originally U.K. spec caravans are on there at really high prices ($30,000 for a 2003 caravan)

Ours is a 2003 caravan worth about £6000 in UK (about $9500)

Would cost about $5000 to ship which still leaves us $11,000 to the good!

I know it would have to be modified (I have the info and I am an engineer)

Seems too good to be true, anyone done it?
Old Feb 26th 2011, 9:46 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing UK Caravan to Oz

Sounds like a plan.

Who did you get the quote for shipping the caravan from? It was 5000 dollars wasn't it, not pounds?

What modifications would it need if you don't mind me asking?
Old Feb 27th 2011, 1:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Sound like an excellent idea... They are STOOPID expensive here... Does yours have aircon? Its pretty much a must... Unless you're very hardy people..

How would the wiring work with Aussie?? I'm not technically minded, would it have to be rewired? Would all the sockets have to be changed?... No doubt some one on here will know...

Spent days looking at motor homes with the parents over the last month or so... They were keen on caravaning... But have decided that if they do get their visa they might do the motorhome thing... They feel theyre getting too old for all the unhitching etc...
Old Feb 27th 2011, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

If you can ship a caravan do it. We regret not bringing ours, due to the stupid price of them here.

If you do ship, others on here would be interested in who you use and approx costs.

Gems
Old Feb 27th 2011, 3:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

If you can, I would do it as it is kitted out for you already...

BUT, it will need to comply with Australian Design Rules including physical size etc...

Read the article below and research (even email the Government department) to make sure it will pass ADR.

http://www.caravanandmotorhomebooks....ting-5wlrs.htm

I imported my car and never regretted it.

Good luck!
Old Feb 27th 2011, 5:37 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Clarkson, May & Hammond Plc would quote for shipping, but I would ask if anyone has experience with them.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

Tom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really nice

It was 2 years ago that I got the quotation of £2800, can't remember who it was as it wasn't a serious enquiry at the time (although they did contact me about 1 yr ago but I deleted it as it didn't seem the right thing to do by then.
I live in Lancashire, needed to get the caravan to Southampton, no loose stuff inside and spotless.
Subscribed to "greynomads" website and got differing views.
Downloading an Oz publication "VSB01 - Trailer Design" gave me some insight.
I think I need to fit extra lights, check that those fitted are marked in accordance with Oz regs.
I'm hoping to get away with changing the circuit breaker into the van (slightly different rating in Oz) probably won't change the sockets in the van but no big deal if I have to.
The fridge, cooker and water heater should be OK but I will need to change the gas regulator to Oz spec.
Has extractor system but no aircon - may need to fit it before we go to Oz.
Both the gas and electrics need safety certificates, not sure if that needs to be done in Oz or if UK would be OK.
Had cooled off on the idea but now getting serious about it, will be getting the caravan out of storage soon and have a proper look at it.
Be nice to talk to someone who's done it.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute

For what its worth, i asked a friend of mine yesterday if they regretted not bringing their caravan and although initially they did regret not bringing it as the one they bought here was expensive, they did say the one they had in scotland would have been unbearable to be in in queensland, just too hot.

Brit vans made for cold weather and oz ones made to be cool

Just letting you know their thoughts, sorry if its complicated things
Old Feb 27th 2011, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Jazzys, doesn't complicate things any more than they already are!

Valid point, last year we camped in Scotland with a night time temperature of -18!

We were stopping @ our daughters in Ellenbrook, WA this Christmas in temperatures of 42 in the day & 20 @ night - very uncomfortable!

At least in UK, if it's cold you put a coat on!

Guess we'll acclimatize but 'van without aircon may be an issue - if we go ahead, will fit aircon in UK
Old Feb 28th 2011, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom Pratt
Thanks Jazzys, doesn't complicate things any more than they already are!

Valid point, last year we camped in Scotland with a night time temperature of -18!

We were stopping @ our daughters in Ellenbrook, WA this Christmas in temperatures of 42 in the day & 20 @ night - very uncomfortable!

At least in UK, if it's cold you put a coat on!

Guess we'll acclimatize but 'van without aircon may be an issue - if we go ahead, will fit aircon in UK
No probs tom, my friends van is whats known as a pop top and that lets the air flow through and keep things cool.

cost him about 35K i think.

Not sure why it would matter but he says the vans here are a lot heavier too, his is almost 2 ton. Solid heavy steel chassis.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 8:11 am
Just Joined

PATENGLISH is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Tom, Me and my Hubby are bring our caravan out to australia in the near future 2012 but we have been given two sets of what to do. The first one is to get the caravan gas certificate and road worthy then register the caravan. The gas certificate will include having the regulater changed over and flared fittings on the gas pipes , gas fittings checked and a compliance plate fitted to the caravan. Then we will have to register the caravan is this all we have to do, as our second quote included having a gas engineer come out and stick stickers to the gas cooker, fridge and hot water and fire all costing $290 each this would be on top of the original gas certificate. I dont mind changing the pipes over to flared fittings but this would be to expensive. Anyone heard of this before.
Originally Posted by Tom Pratt
Some time in the near future, my wife I will be moving to Oz permanently.

We love caravanning in UK and would like to continue in Oz

Problem is that my wife is disabled so we need the full facilities of our caravan (toilet & shower etc.)

Looking on ebay Oz & visiting dealers in Oz whilst on holiday, most don't have built in toilet & shower.

Those that do are horrendously expensive

We have noticed, however, that some originally U.K. spec caravans are on there at really high prices ($30,000 for a 2003 caravan)

Ours is a 2003 caravan worth about £6000 in UK (about $9500)

Would cost about $5000 to ship which still leaves us $11,000 to the good!

I know it would have to be modified (I have the info and I am an engineer)

Seems too good to be true, anyone done it?
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Sounds like the Gas engineer is a rip off merchant!

At $290 per appliance, it would be cheaper to replace the appliance.

Our emigration process has stalled with the slump of the GBP amd house sales in UK

We are still going but will have to live with one of our daughters whilst I will be working rather than retiring waiting for the GBP to recover.

May still take the 'van, assuming that I need to check/modify the lights, 12v/240v electrics. Haven't gone too deep with gas stuff yet but assumed gas pipes already flared - easy enough to change.

So can't tell anyone of our experiences as we haven't done it yet and may not!
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 10:48 pm
Just Joined

PATENGLISH is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Tom,
Me and Tony Emigrated 15yrs ago, my Aunt sponsered us. At the time money was good in the uk and we just sold everythink and left. Tony was upset at selling his caravan and always wanted one when we got here. We managed to buy one in tweed but after owning it for 6 mnths it was written off in 5 mins in a hail storm, the hail was as big as golf balls.
We came back to the uk 2yrs ago and it had all gone downhill, all are local pubs had shutters on and where closed because it was cheaper to buy in and stay in. We had constant rain for 6 weeks.
Over here we buy in and have a barbeque with the family. We even have a picnic at christmas and watch father christmas run up the beach shouting HO HO HO. Still cant get used to the heat at christmas.
I hope you make it someday we are now citizens and can come and go when we want.
Best Regards
Pat and Tony
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

Hi Pat

Have been to Oz 4 times since our eldest daughter emigrated in 2003.

Last time was last Xmas (4 weeks) for our youngest daughter's 40th (previous visit was for our eldest daughter's 40th, coinciding with validating our temporary visa)

Yes, very wierd, Xmas @ 42 degrees!

Our daughter is in a rental (moves into new build in Nov) so aircon pretty basic.

I was sleeping on the tiled floor and dreaming of rain, it was so hot!

Got home to find our town had been paralysed with snow for 3 weeks!

I know that we will acclimatise once we get there, just getting impatient now!.

Kind regards,

Tom
Old Dec 27th 2011, 11:28 am
Just Joined

sundowner is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile shipping questions

Hello everyone
I am an aussie living in the uk with my english partner want to return next year to Maryborough Area Queensland looking into touring caravans seem pretty dated and pricey in australia..... thinking of buyin in the uk and shipping can anyone enlighten us on this costs, tips etc thanks tracey and family

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.