Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

importing on a tourist visa

importing on a tourist visa

Old Sep 9th 2003, 12:05 pm
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold
Default importing on a tourist visa

Are there any restrictions on having goods sent in via ship (i.e my worldly belongings) if I'm out in NZ on a tourist Visa. The idea is that my LTBV will come through whilst I'm out there ensuring my contacts don't go cold on me.....it would be of advantage to have all my gear there too for when the time comes..

There's a good chance we'll end up with PR anyway if the wife scores a job when we get there as we are within 5 points of the passmark then...so we may not even have to wait for the LTBV approval......

any ideas, cheers, Rich.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 10:23 pm
Just Joined

jonah111 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: importing on a tourist visa

Originally posted by theguitardoctor
Are there any restrictions on having goods sent in via ship (i.e my worldly belongings) if I'm out in NZ on a tourist Visa. The idea is that my LTBV will come through whilst I'm out there ensuring my contacts don't go cold on me.....it would be of advantage to have all my gear there too for when the time comes..

There's a good chance we'll end up with PR anyway if the wife scores a job when we get there as we are within 5 points of the passmark then...so we may not even have to wait for the LTBV approval......

any ideas, cheers, Rich.
Rich

Hi
Noticed you are originate from my home town "Crewe" I was too !! moved on when i went into H.M.F Royal Air Force. Now have a family and looking to move to Auckland if my work permit gets approved.
Old Sep 10th 2003, 7:12 am
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Good luck with your application, hope it all goes well for you.

regards, Rich.
Old Sep 10th 2003, 8:33 am
Just Joined

Default Re: importing on a tourist visa

Originally posted by jonah111
Rich

Hi
Noticed you are originate from my home town "Crewe" I was too !! moved on when i went into H.M.F Royal Air Force. Now have a family and looking to move to Auckland if my work permit gets approved.
:PARTY:

Rich
Thanks for the reply !! when are you thinking of going out on a Tourist visa too, oh by the way are you a supporter of Crewe Alexandra or not. ?
Old Sep 10th 2003, 2:04 pm
Life's next chapter is?

Hey Jonah,

We are leaving the Uk on October 4th.........arrive NZ October 6th...

Sorry I don't really follow football, although it's amusing when Crewe beat a Stoke based team as evryone I know becomes miserable (Vale and Stoke supporters), so I just rub that in when I get the chance.....I'll be glad to get away from this Beckham obsessed nation to be honest...seriously, the guy can't take a sh*t without someone reporting on the colour and consistency of it......

I prefer Moto GP and World Superbikes if I have to follow a sport - not a lot of coverage on those in NZ though, but I'm not moving to sit in and watch the box....!!

all the best, Rich.
Old Sep 10th 2003, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

Hey Jonah,

We are leaving the Uk on October 4th.........arrive NZ October 6th...

Sorry I don't really follow football, although it's amusing when Crewe beat a Stoke based team as evryone I know becomes miserable (Vale and Stoke supporters), so I just rub that in when I get the chance.....I'll be glad to get away from this Beckham obsessed nation to be honest...seriously, the guy can't take a sh*t without someone reporting on the colour and consistency of it......

I prefer Moto GP and World Superbikes if I have to follow a sport - not a lot of coverage on those in NZ though, but I'm not moving to sit in and watch the box....!!

all the best, Rich.
:PARTY:
Rich

A bet the feeling is good now you know what date your going out on October 04th is only around the corner, have caught up with some other of your replies you have sent to others....am i right in thinking your going out on a LTBV ??? and what has made you leave it all behind family and all. ?? all im waiting for is the AIP from Auckland and consulate will hopefully approve the work permit, had a job offer to start in Auckland 01st September and to be honest why im still here and not gone out on a tourist visa and chased my AIP when we were in NZ cannot answer that one.

What are your thoughts ??

Mick.
Old Sep 11th 2003, 11:20 am
Life's next chapter is?

Hi again,

Yes, we are off out there on an LTBV whenever it comes through.....hence the tourist visa / whv route at this point as we have sold everything we owm. We have relatives in Auckland, but that's not our reason for going...basically, I can't expand the business as housing is so expensive here......I can afford something 3 times the size for the same money in NZ. On top of that I'm pretty illusioned with the UK.....There are loads of opportunities in foreign export for the wife also. My family live abroad anyway, so it's no real pull as we aren't that close. I'll miss friends. but then theres always email and webcam.

In your position I would have been over there by now, don't know how you have the patience - I can't wait for Oct 4th & neither can Gez...it's been a long wait.

all the best, Rich.

Last edited by theguitardoctor; Sep 11th 2003 at 11:24 am.
Old Sep 11th 2003, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

SimonC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: importing on a tourist visa

any ideas, cheers, Rich.
Hi Rich,

We sent all our stuff when we came on a tourist visa, NZ Customs wanted a $2000 bond (refundable on work permit or residency) before they would clear it. All wen't ok and they even paid interest on the money.

If you need anything else let me know.

Regards,

Simon
Old Sep 11th 2003, 1:16 pm
Life's next chapter is?

Hi Simon,

The wife is on a working holiday visa - and hopefully she'll be on a work permit by the time the stuff arrives, so hopefully we won't have a problem......Did you have to pay $2000 then, and return later with a work visa as proof in order to get a refund?

regards, Rich
Old Sep 11th 2003, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

Hi again,

Yes, we are off out there on an LTBV whenever it comes through.....hence the tourist visa / whv route at this point as we have sold everything we owm. We have relatives in Auckland, but that's not our reason for going...basically, I can't expand the business as housing is so expensive here......I can afford something 3 times the size for the same money in NZ. On top of that I'm pretty illusioned with the UK.....There are loads of opportunities in foreign export for the wife also. My family live abroad anyway, so it's no real pull as we aren't that close. I'll miss friends. but then theres always email and webcam.

In your position I would have been over there by now, don't know how you have the patience - I can't wait for Oct 4th & neither can Gez...it's been a long wait.

all the best, Rich.
Rich
Nice to hear back from you, finally heard this morning 08:30am early morning call given the go ahead to book my flights Work permit has been issued passports back early next week. Shez my wife is also looking to start a business for herself when we settle somewhere close to Auckland for my work in the City, also she has carpet crawler to look after and ankle snappers.....to get to school, but me too was dis-illusioned with the uk.......having come out the Armed Forces and worked in the big city down south for 4 years running the length of the M1 - M25 fighting the traffic queues. There is life elsewhere and hopefully i have found a little piece of it for me and the family, its true as your say there is email and webcam to keep in contact with relatives & freinds.

So we are Auckland bound on the 25th September............about to book our flights with a stopover in LA to break the journey. So try and keep in touch by email or webcam if you can on your progress...

One or two wets are in order tonight to celebrate..cheers mate.

Mick
Old Sep 11th 2003, 4:48 pm
Life's next chapter is?

Good news Mick,

I wish you all the best. I hope we can quickly convert to work Visa's, that way we can put in a PR application.. it's cheaper than following through on the LTBV anyway as that costs $2500 to convert to PR. With the Gen Skills it's a lot less costly.......

I'll keep visiting the site once we land in NZ, but i'll have [email protected] as my email address also, and hopefully a new website to go with it.

I hope it all goes well for you, the wife and the ankle biters.....We have family up in Auckland - it is a very nice city..you'll love it.

all the best, Rich.
Old Sep 12th 2003, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

SimonC is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Simon,

The wife is on a working holiday visa - and hopefully she'll be on a work permit by the time the stuff arrives, so hopefully we won't have a problem......Did you have to pay $2000 then, and return later with a work visa as proof in order to get a refund?

regards, Rich
yep, they checked it then a cheque turned up about a week later which I thought wasn't too bad

Cheers,

Simon