Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Importing a stove

Importing a stove

Old Aug 10th 2011, 11:48 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Importing a stove

We are looking at importing a range from the UK. Obviously we need to get one that can be serviced over here. I was wondering if anyone had done it and what were the best brands to look at .

The differences in price are quite staggering. Here is one comparison

Australian one costs $6499

The same one in the UK costs 1399 GBP converts to $2198

I know Gerry won't be happy but I'm sure my importing fees will not equate to the $4300 difference.

Any experiences or recommendations gratefully received
Old Aug 10th 2011, 1:41 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing a stove

Originally Posted by HUP
We are looking at importing a range from the UK. Obviously we need to get one that can be serviced over here. I was wondering if anyone had done it and what were the best brands to look at .

I know Gerry won't be happy but I'm sure my importing fees will not equate to the $4300 difference.

Can't offer any help but are the gas connections and gas types compatible?
Old Aug 10th 2011, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Search for poster Nksk version 2.Im pretty sure he imported a cooker last year.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

Originally Posted by HUP

I am going back to the UK next year and I will be doing exactly the same thing. The range cooker my wife wants is $10,000 here and only 1,500 GBP over there. The import duty should be 10% of what it cost you and also 10% on the cost of freight. There will also be port handling fees and you will probably need an import agent which will cost you a couple of hundred $$$$. Still worth doing. As for gas fittings, if they are wrong, get them changed. The only thing to make sure is that the gas jets are either for Natural Gas or LPG (Depending on what you want).

Barney
Old Aug 10th 2011, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

sdel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by POW148
I am going back to the UK next year and I will be doing exactly the same thing. The range cooker my wife wants is $10,000 here and only 1,500 GBP over there. The import duty should be 10% of what it cost you and also 10% on the cost of freight. There will also be port handling fees and you will probably need an import agent which will cost you a couple of hundred $$$$. Still worth doing. As for gas fittings, if they are wrong, get them changed. The only thing to make sure is that the gas jets are either for Natural Gas or LPG (Depending on what you want).

Barney
Looked into this myself last year as we were installing a new kitchen. As a plumber /gasfitter I checked with the gas regulator and was told the stove would not comply to the regulations as all imported stoves which come through with importing companies are stamped with an AGA No. You cannot get the AGA No if importing solo items. I know as a gasfitter I would not be installing a item without one as my licence would be at risk. (It took bloody enough time to get it over here)!
Old Aug 12th 2011, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

Dennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to all

Originally Posted by POW148

Barney
Go for it mate it's your range cooker, just another Aussie is best shite, hence the $10,000 price tag, I love this online shopping. You know how much you saved with your ride on lawn mower i believe you saved about $6k for the same model here.. Buy Australian is best MY ARSE
Old Aug 14th 2011, 8:53 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

OH MY GOD!!!!

We went into Harvey Norman to look at the Ipod Touch deal that they had this weekend and we wandered over to the cooker section. They had a really nice Stoves range. The saleswoman came over and started talking to us and she said if we were interested then she would place an order on Monday. It would take 16 weeks because it was being shipped from the UK!! The price difference was several thousand dollars different.

That's settled. We'll be ordering at the end of next week.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 10:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HUP
OH MY GOD!!!!

We went into Harvey Norman to look at the Ipod Touch deal that they had this weekend and we wandered over to the cooker section. They had a really nice Stoves range. The saleswoman came over and started talking to us and she said if we were interested then she would place an order on Monday. It would take 16 weeks because it was being shipped from the UK!! The price difference was several thousand dollars different.

That's settled. We'll be ordering at the end of next week.
Good stuff HUP.

(I'd be happy to wear a bit more cost for the convenience).
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 6:23 am
Just Joined

moggsa01 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a relatively new rangemaster which I was wanting to bring. It is called a Falcon in the Australia. Falcon in the uk is a brand up again from rangemaster but in Australia it is just my cooker and I know I look at it more than my husband. I have contacted Rangemaster and they have told me it is compatible for mains and the LPG kit came with it free when we bought it. She says there is no difference what so ever in the ones they import not that she knows of. I was in Harvey Normans on a recce and my cooker is $8500. I was going to sell it in uk second hand for £450. I am just worried about what the AGA No is.

Incidently all the rangemaster and falcon in oz is made by AGA the cooker company as well in the uk and shipped to oz
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 6:26 am
Just Joined

moggsa01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sdel
Looked into this myself last year as we were installing a new kitchen. As a plumber /gasfitter I checked with the gas regulator and was told the stove would not comply to the regulations as all imported stoves which come through with importing companies are stamped with an AGA No. You cannot get the AGA No if importing solo items. I know as a gasfitter I would not be installing a item without one as my licence would be at risk. (It took bloody enough time to get it over here)!
what about them doesnt comply? Rangemaster has told me that they do and that my LPG kit etc is all compatible. They sell it under the brand name of Falcon in oz. Exact same thing. I dont want to take this thing over there as a scrap metal so your input is really appreciated. Thanks
Old Oct 7th 2011, 11:54 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

We (HUP and I) ended up going with a STOVES, its compatable with BELLING over here and the gas regulators are exactly the same, we know this beacuse friends of our have done it and there was no issue.

To buy the Belling here it would have been 9K. To buy it from the UK (And with better spec, free spplash back and 30 quid off the hood) it was $3500 SHIPPED!! There is simply no way you would buy it from here when all they are going to do is import it anyway.....
Old Oct 7th 2011, 11:58 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Good stuff HUP.

(I'd be happy to wear a bit more cost for the convenience).
I think you misunderstood. Thers NO WAY we will be spending $5 1/2 K for HN to ship it for us! Easy as pie to do it ourselves....it will be leaving the UK at the end of the week.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

PunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud of

How will this affect your home owners insurance? We were told by several insurers here that a grey import like these would invalidate the home owners and contents insurance if there was a fire or anything like that. We would love to do this but are terrified.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 1:32 pm
High in the Dandenongs

But its exactly what Harvey Norman would be importing for us.....They are made in the UK and shipped here...I dont see the issue?
Old Oct 7th 2011, 1:33 pm
High in the Dandenongs

Also how would your insurers prove anything and also what about everything we ship over when we come? Toasters, hoovers kettles, fridges washers etc etc.
There is no difference!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.