Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Importing Personal Books

Importing Personal Books

Old Apr 28th 2009, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

ramlmmjem is on a distinguished road
Default Importing Personal Books

I'm an academic by trade and books are one of the tools I use. I need to get some key ones (probably a box or two's worth) to Adelaide for the point at which I start work and plan to ship them by air. These are personal items, but I'm concerned to make sure customs don't think I'm importing them to re-sell or some silly such thing. (I'll be sending them direct to myself at the University at which I'll be working.) Anything I need to look out for?

Alistair

(The rest of my books will come by sea along with the furniture.)
Old Apr 29th 2009, 12:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Flutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud of
Default Re: Importing Personal Books

As long as they are for personal use you should be fine. We sent 2 boxes of CDs over by air and had no problems with customs at all. We had to go to customs to clear them ourselves and so we could explain that they were not for resale.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

I sent loads of boxes of books over. We are avid book readers and some for hubbies job.

No problems at all they got here without any delays.

Gems
Old Apr 29th 2009, 1:26 am
Forum Regular

wullieb1 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Gems
I sent loads of boxes of books over. We are avid book readers and some for hubbies job.

No problems at all they got here without any delays.

Gems
i brought all, well some of them lol, my IT books with me when i came and had no hassles.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 1:47 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

12 boxes of them shipped by me when I first came, and then another three when my Dad passed away. Just label them as personal effects.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 6:38 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

As long as they are all used and not obviously brand new you should not have a problem.

We brought across 8 bookcases (over 800) academic books with no issues.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

ramlmmjem is on a distinguished road

Thanks all.

Alistair